PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Cards

eaglssong
10-18-2005, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I'm back with another dumb newbie question.

I see lots of posts that talk about formatting the cards. Is this always required? And if so, how would one go about doing that?

My new A200 should be arriving tomorrow, and I want to be ready to get out and use it ASAP. I purchased a SanDisk Ultra II 512 MB card just so I'd have something to work with. I'm also debating about shooting in RAW or RAW + JPEG.

Thanks again. You people are more than generous with your very kind help to all us newcomers.

JLV
10-18-2005, 11:32 AM
How to format should be explained in the instruction manual for your camera. It is best to format in the camera, not with your computer. Your camera may accept your memory card as formated. If not, then format it. With one of my digital cameras, I have never formated in the 4 or 5 years that I have owned it. With my new camera, I format before a major shoot, just as a precaution.

I use JPEG. I have never used RAW. RAW is good when you want to post process every picture. With JPEG the camera does the processing for you, and creates a much smaller file.

Enjoy your new camera.

eaglssong
10-18-2005, 11:47 AM
Thanks,

I actually have the manual here (printed it out from the web), so I think I'll go see what it might say.

Thanks again for your help.