PDA

View Full Version : Can I use NI-Cd batteries ???

chaks
10-18-2005, 05:23 AM
I have bought a Sony DSC S60. I already have a Sony Ni-Cd T-23 multi cell charger ( output 1.2v 150mA) - 9 V Quick charger , and 4 AA Pansonic Nickel Cadmium Rechargable batteries. Can I use them in my camera. The S60 manual says not to use Ni- Cd batteries. Can I also charge Sony rechargable NIMh batteries in this charger.
please advise
Thanks.

David Metsky
10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
I don't know if using the Ni-Cad batteries will harm your camera, but you'll be much better off using high capacity NiMH batteries. The NiCads will die quickly, they aren't well suited for digital camera use. Go ahead, buy a new chargers and two sets of batteries for $35 and never look back.

-dave-

Kenyada
10-18-2005, 08:21 AM
I have bought a Sony DSC S60. I already have a Sony Ni-Cd T-23 multi cell charger ( output 1.2v 150mA) - 9 V Quick charger , and 4 AA Pansonic Nickel Cadmium Rechargable batteries. Can I use them in my camera. The S60 manual says not to use Ni- Cd batteries. Can I also charge Sony rechargable NIMh batteries in this charger.
please advise
Thanks.

I agree with Dave... and your Manual. :)
The big knock against Ni-Cads is that they "learn" diminished capacity, meaning that if you recharge them before they are weak, they learn that level, and will only last that long on the next cycle. Their powered up time gets shorter and shorter. It's time to move up to the next level - NiMH.

Rhys
10-18-2005, 08:28 AM
NiCad chargers will destroy NiMh batteries. NiCads don't last long in digital cameras. Better to throw the NiCads and any NiCad chargers you have into the dustbin. They're not even worth selling on e-fraud-bay.

chaks
10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
Thanks.
I have just bought a Sony BCG-36HC4 Super quick Multi charger and 4 AA Sony 2300mAh batteries for $30. I think that will suffice.
I want to say a word of caution about Ni-Cd batteries. Never insert those into your cameras by mistake also. I almost damaged my camera. As soon as I switched on the S60 with those, the LCD started flickering . Immediately I switched it off and saved my camera.