PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Newbie Questions

eaglssong
10-13-2005, 09:16 AM
Hi,

I am waiting for delivery of a KM A200, but am very confused about the differenty types of memory cards that are available in the market.

Could someone please explain the differences between the CF cards vs. the SD cards? Is one preferred over the other? Am I better off with a card that has large capacity, vs. several that have less? I'm thinking in terms of travel in particular, and as of now (and probably well into the future), I will not have any sort of laptop to download to. Also, could someone explain the value of using a card reader over using the camera to get photos from the camera to the computer?

I'm really new at all of this, so please forgive me if my questions sound really dumb, but I am a firm believer that the only real dumb question is one that goes unasked.

Thank you very much for any explanations you can give me, as well as your own personal advice.

:) Anne

JLV
10-13-2005, 11:24 AM
CF and SD are different sizes. You need to pick the one that fits your camera.

As for capacity, the more pixels your cameraís resolution, the more capacity you will need. There are two arguments on capacity. One is the larger the better, so that you have room for all your photos. The other is donít put all our photos on one chip. If the card goes bad you will lose them all.

I hope this helps you a little. Enjoy your new camera.
:)

Clyde
10-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I am waiting for delivery of a KM A200, but am very confused about the differenty types of memory cards that are available in the market.

Could someone please explain the differences between the CF cards vs. the SD cards? Is one preferred over the other? Am I better off with a card that has large capacity, vs. several that have less? I'm thinking in terms of travel in particular, and as of now (and probably well into the future), I will not have any sort of laptop to download to. Also, could someone explain the value of using a card reader over using the camera to get photos from the camera to the computer?

It is a good thing you asked before buying a card! SD and Compact Flash are two different types of cards entirely. Different cameras use different types. Your camera ONLY uses CF cards. I have read that SD cards are more fragile, but that is an academic concern for you.

CF cards come in type I and II. Type I cards use "flash" memory, and contain no moving parts. They are very durable, and tend to be more expensive per megabyte. Type II cards are tiny hard drives, with tiny precision moving parts. They are more fragile, use more power, but are slightly cheaper per megabyte. Your camera can use either type, I would stick to type I.

Your camera also takes advantage of high speed cards. That means that if you shoot a bunch of photos in a row, say trying to capture just the right moment in a ballet dancers jump, or the moment a batter hits the ball, a fast card would be better for you. Manufacturers advertise their speeds, say 40x, or 66x times faster than first generation CF cards.

Card readers are cheap. The primary advantage to using a card reader rather than your cameras outlet port is that you save battery life. Also, if the battery happens to go dead in the middle of transfering data, you can at the very least lose pictures, and possibly damage the CF card.

Buying multiple relatively small cards versus one relatively large card is a matter of strategy. In the extremely unlikely event of a card going bad, having multiple cards is the 'different baskets for your eggs' approach.

The most important thing, though, is not to buy SD cards for a KM A200!

Cheers,

Clyde

eaglssong
10-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Thank you for your input. This stuff is sooo confusing. Buying the camera was much easier (if it would only get here). I know that I just can't hand hold anything these days, so the IS was the selling point for me.

I thought I'd seen something on the KM site about some SD cards being compatible, but given your reply, I'll just stay away from them.

I'm starting to think that having a supply of smaller cards might be a better way to go. That way I won't be losing everything if a card should go bad.

Again I thank you. You have really cleared up some mysteries for me.

eaglssong
10-13-2005, 11:37 AM
I am so grateful to have found this site, and the wonderful people here who willingly share their knowledge with beginners.

ECtrigger
11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
In my case I bought a card reader for two reasons:
1- I bought a Hi Speed USB card reader, much faster than my Canon 300D to download. That is not always the case, depends of your camera, but be sure to get a USB 2.0!

2- Travel. I bought an external one. When you are in a trip and don't want to take with you or don't have a Notebook or one of the new gadgets to download pictures from your cards, you may take your card and card reader to a bar or shop where you may download your pictures and save them in a CD. Some may have card readers, but in Argentina is not ussually the case.

Saludos, Enrique