PDA

View Full Version : D70s still a good buy??

Webmonkey
10-12-2005, 12:40 PM
I have decided to go with Nikon, the question is just - buy the D70s now or wait a few months, just incase a replacement is right at hand...

I would just feel really sad if I bought a D70s next week, just to find out that a Dx0 will be introduced in a few months..

I know that there is more to it than megapixels, having owned a Fujifinepix 2800 2.0MP camera for almost 3 years now, I have often seen how superiosr it can be to no-name/asian brands of 4-6MP camera that my friends have bought...

But I still can't help thinking that I am buying "outdated" techonology...sure it a major step forward compared to my Fuji, but the thought just bugs me...

Or if a replacement launch would cause price cuts on the D70s...

So, I would like to hear some sincere feedback from the Nikon people here, maybe I am not the only one in this situation... :-)

D70FAN
10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
I have decided to go with Nikon, the question is just - buy the D70s now or wait a few months, just incase a replacement is right at hand...

I would just feel really sad if I bought a D70s next week, just to find out that a Dx0 will be introduced in a few months..

I know that there is more to it than megapixels, having owned a Fujifinepix 2800 2.0MP camera for almost 3 years now, I have often seen how superiosr it can be to no-name/asian brands of 4-6MP camera that my friends have bought...

But I still can't help thinking that I am buying "outdated" techonology...sure it a major step forward compared to my Fuji, but the thought just bugs me...

So, I would like to hear some sincere feedback from the Nikon people here, maybe I am not the only one in this situation... :-)

the D70s is only a few months old, and even the D70 is still available. I think Nikons next move is the D200 anouncement in November and the D70 will stay around until next summer.

I have had the D70 for about 20 months and don't see myself needing a replacement until a sub $1000, 12MP version comes along in a couple of years.

Nikon could surprise everyone with a 10MP version, in the middle of next year, but I don't think it's likely or will matter that much.

If you are planning to print 16 x 20's then just wait for the D200, otherwise don't worry about it.

K1W1
10-13-2005, 02:23 AM
Of course there will be a replacement - but nobody expects one soon.
If you wait you will probably never buy because you will always be that much closer to when the "next big thing" is released. Also if you wait think of the photo opportunities and enjoyment that you will miss. Personally the photos are more important to me than a few $ in my pocket.

Jredtugboat
10-13-2005, 07:47 AM

Hey there,

You are not the only person in this situation. I have been (to quote my girlfriend) "stalking" a dSLR now for almost 6 months...endlessly poring over articles, news reviews, etc. to find the right camera.

And you know what? I realise now that I've spent too much time obsessing over technical specifications and not enough time thinking about the photos I'm going to make.

There is ALWAYS going to be something better around the corner. If you take that line too far, you're never going to buy anything, and the real cost in terms of lost opportunity, learning experiences, and foregone photos will be tremendous.

Just my thoughts...

yours,

Julian