PDA

View Full Version : Old charger on newer/higher mAh NiMH???

Risky Business
10-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Hello. Well this is my first post after browsing these boards for a couple of months. After an exhausting few weeks of weighing my options, I finally decided on a Canon S2 IS. I bought it tonight. I didn't think my first post was going to be in the batteries forum but here goes! :)

I have a Panasonic BQ-345A charger that came with a set of 1200 mAh NiMH batteries back in 2001 when I bought my Canon A20 (yes - I've been using that camera up until today!)...

Anyway, will this charger still work with the newer, higher mAh batteries? The guy at Future Shaft tried to tell me that I needed a new charger to work with the stronger batteries. Is this true or is it a sales ploy?

FYI - the back of the charger says:

Input: AC 120V 60Hz 5W
Output: DC 2.8V 320mA/140mAx2
(Battery Charger Class 2)
Manufactured May 2001

(Made in China) ;)

Thanks!

Kenyada
10-08-2005, 02:09 AM
(snipped)...
I have a Panasonic BQ-345A charger that came with a set of 1200 mAh NiMH batteries back in 2001 when I bought my Canon A20 (yes - I've been using that camera up until today!)...

Anyway, will this charger still work with the newer, higher mAh batteries? The guy at Future Shaft tried to tell me that I needed a new charger to work with the stronger batteries. Is this true or is it a sales ploy?

FYI - the back of the charger says:

Input: AC 120V 60Hz 5W
Output: DC 2.8V 320mA/140mAx2
(Battery Charger Class 2)
Manufactured May 2001

(Made in China) ;)

Thanks!

The short answer is Yes, you can use the old charger to recharge the new, greater capacity NiMH batteries.

The main difference in the recent versions of chargers is the ability to vary the charging modes (quick charge vs. trickle charge, with trickle charge being preferred because it lends itself to longer battery life). Your older charger is set to recharge at one single current level. The other difference is that the best chargers on the market today will totally "cycle" the battery - discharge, then recharge, and finally "top it off."

If it's just a matter of charging batteries for your classic camera, I'd stick with your old charger, but if you use other equipment requiring batteries, I'd suggest investing in a new charger. Check out my post "The Care and Feeding of NiMH" :
http://dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12521

...and Welcome to DCRP Forums. :)