PDA

View Full Version : D70s- whats wrong?

Esoterra
10-07-2005, 07:44 PM
I took this pic around 6 pm trying to catch the sunset behind the buildings. It seems that whenever I try to take pictures of Sunsets, they all come out under exposed.... take a look

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/7207/connorinbackyard0111je.jpg

Here are the settings:

Jpeg (8bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 G (Sigma)
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
1/400 sec -f/10
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0 Degrees
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off

Any suggestions as to what im doing wrong?

K1W1
10-07-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm guessing that as you have used spot metering the exposure has metered on the sunset which is more or less in the centre of the image.

Andy.ro
10-13-2005, 06:20 AM
you have to decide which part you want to underexpose/ over..

The light difference is too great for any camera out there to capture both the sunset and the buildings.

You might want to use a flash to lightly lit up the building but at that time i doubt that it will work.

My advice is experiment. First of all wait a little bit longer. another 20 min when the sun "cools" down ;) Also try going Manual!

Think of it this way...even in bright sunlight when shooting 1/400 F10 you get some underexpose (in the middle of the day).

Go manual, and experiment with shutter speeds.

D70FAN
10-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I took this pic around 6 pm trying to catch the sunset behind the buildings. It seems that whenever I try to take pictures of Sunsets, they all come out under exposed.... take a look

Here are the settings:

Jpeg (8bit) Fine
Image Size: Large (3008 x 2000)
Lens: 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 G (Sigma)
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Mode: Programmed Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
1/400 sec -f/10
Exposure Comp.: +0.7 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 200
Optimize Image: Normal
White Balance: Auto
AF Mode: AF-S
Flash Sync Mode: Not Attached
Color Mode: Ia (sRGB)
Tone Comp: Auto
Hue Adjustment: 0 Degrees
Saturation: Normal
Sharpening: Auto
Image Comment:
Long Exposure NR: Off

Any suggestions as to what im doing wrong?

You probably should experiment a little to see where your spot metering is, well, metering. In this case it was metering on the brightest spot and not the area in between. A problem that we all face from time to time, and on the D70s you can choose the size of the "sweet-spot" to include some of the darker areas. Fortunately, you can post process to save most images.

Or you can just use D-lighting in NC4 (just click on the X to activate the function).

Since I was working with a compressed copy the results are not as good as you can get with the original. If you had taken this in RAW you would have better control as well. This is just using D-lighting: