PDA

View Full Version : Program modes-When to use what??

nwpoland
10-06-2005, 04:40 AM
Just looking to see if y'all have some tips on when to use, say, aperture-priority vs program mode. I know the D50 manual says that "P" mode can be used in "snapshot" scenarios...but even still you can make some adjustments even while in "P". So, why go there at all?? I've been staying mostly in Ap-priority mode and just looking to expand my horizons.

Thanks

kornhauser
10-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Just looking to see if y'all have some tips on when to use, say, aperture-priority vs program mode. I know the D50 manual says that "P" mode can be used in "snapshot" scenarios...but even still you can make some adjustments even while in "P". So, why go there at all?? I've been staying mostly in Ap-priority mode and just looking to expand my horizons.

Thanks

I use program mode only when I want a quick snapshot. I use apperature priority when I want to control the depth of field. And shutter priority when I want to control shutter speed.

Most times for me, action photography I use shutter priority to catch action. However, if I'm outdoors I love depth of field. Then I use apperature.

D70FAN
10-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I use program mode only when I want a quick snapshot. I use apperature priority when I want to control the depth of field. And shutter priority when I want to control shutter speed.

Most times for me, action photography I use shutter priority to catch action. However, if I'm outdoors I love depth of field. Then I use apperature.

Good summary Korn. I stay in aperture priority most of the time, and use exposure settings and ISO to control the shutter speed. I don't think I have used Auto or Program mode since... I don't know when.;)

nwpoland
10-08-2005, 12:57 AM
This question kind of popped into my mind when I looked through Gary Fong's reference card for using the new Lightsphere Photojournalist.

Here...I'll upload it for you to see....

Btw, prior to this I have been using only A and S-priority modes. Just wondering if I was doing something wrong (or rather, if I could have been doing something better).