PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70 Firmware Upgrade?

eyelab
10-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Just was checking it out, will it correct any ISO problems? I notice when i go from 200 to 400 only, (i dare not going any higher), I get such horrible noise in the pictures. Max size I can print is like 4x6 without seeing it :( So low light pictures I take with a ISO other then 200, I can't blow up very large.

My question is, does the firmware upgrade help any? From reading, it seems the D50 ISO quality is a lot better then the D70 higher ISO setting... yet they use the same sensor and everything? So it would be a firmware problem with the noise or? It really sucks when your only option to take certain pictures is boosting up the ISO, and if you do, your pictures come out so horrible (with noise) you don't even wanna print them.

Any filters in photoshop that will get it clean to be able to print 8x10 coipes? Or does the firmware fix any of this? Or is my only real choice to buy a new nikon with better ISO sensitivy control? :(

-- ALSO --
Just on a side note, i was reading the D70, you can go down to 100 on the ISO? :P Mine will not, has only 200 is lowest... firmware 1.03 it says... i'm a bit confused. And is it true (just read)... ISO 400 is bad, if you go to like 800, its actually better quality? :O

coldrain
10-04-2005, 08:46 AM
The Nikon D50 and D70/D70s have ISO 200 as their lowest setting. This is not a big problem though, they are, like other DSLR's, quite noise free.

The info about what the firmware upgrade gives you should be on Nikons website.

A very good program to deal with undesired noise in photos is Noise Ninja. It is not expensive and can give very pleasing results.
You can find it at http://www.picturecode.com .

:)

eyelab
10-04-2005, 01:43 PM
That program looks nice...

After talking with a few people, noise with digital SLR using a higher ISO, is just natural I guess. No matter what cam I get :/ But they showed me some pictures of their shots using a 1600 ISO, and obviously did shrink it a bit, but the picture was about 10x crisper then mine @ 1600 ISO. They didn't do any post processing on it except shrink it a bit. But it was still large enough to print a 8x10... and the quality was still great. I don't get it. Maybe it is just me? *shrug*... I have never tried printing one... ++ I look at it 100% and see how bad it really is.

I will for sure have to try that software... Sad I have to do post processing on my high ISO pictures and others don't. I dunno what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the software hint! Will try this tonight and see how much of a difference it makes! I think it will make a huge difference and make me a bit happier about some of my high ISO / Dark Pictures. Thanks!

D70FAN
10-05-2005, 06:08 PM
That program looks nice...

After talking with a few people, noise with digital SLR using a higher ISO, is just natural I guess. No matter what cam I get :/ But they showed me some pictures of their shots using a 1600 ISO, and obviously did shrink it a bit, but the picture was about 10x crisper then mine @ 1600 ISO. They didn't do any post processing on it except shrink it a bit. But it was still large enough to print a 8x10... and the quality was still great. I don't get it. Maybe it is just me? *shrug*... I have never tried printing one... ++ I look at it 100% and see how bad it really is.

I will for sure have to try that software... Sad I have to do post processing on my high ISO pictures and others don't. I dunno what I am doing wrong.

Thanks for the software hint! Will try this tonight and see how much of a difference it makes! I think it will make a huge difference and make me a bit happier about some of my high ISO / Dark Pictures. Thanks!

Your pictures at ISO 1600 should be grainy, but not excessively so. Could you post one for us to look at? Maybe the D70 owners on this forum can help.

Be aware that your D70 has unique (for a consumer dSLR) 1/3 stop ISO settings that allow you to get decent shutter speeds with considerably less noise at ISO 1000 and ISO 1250. I rarely use ISO 1600, since buying the SB800, but that's a different story.

That said, If you are going to shoot at ISO 1600 (with any dSLR) you are probably going to end up post processing. Noise Ninja is worth every penny.;)