PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Choices / Lens options?

Mike2002
09-30-2005, 10:28 AM
Application of camera:

My son's Little League Baseball games, wildlife (deer, my dad's bird dogs), plan to take camera to Alaska on vacation next summer, and the usual Christmas, Birthday indoor photo's.

Options:

Option 1
D70s kit (18~70mm Kit lens) $1200 + $220 Sigma 70~300 lens =$1420

Option 2 (While supplies last with $100 rebate)
D70 kit (18~70mm Kit lens) $1000 + $220 Sigma 70~300 lens = $1220

Option 3 (Has rebate now)
D50 body only $650 + Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1140

Option 4
D70s body only $900 +Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1390

Option 5 (If I can find a D70)
D70 body only $750 +Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1240

I did not list the D50 lens kit as I read that those lens were not as good the D70(s) kit lens.

Well Option 1 is the most expensive and Option 3 is the least expensive. What are the pro's and con's of these 2 options or is the D70 option 2 or 5 better? So many choices?

Any idea as to how long the rebate will last on the D50?
How about D70 supplies?

Will prices go down around Christmas time?

Is there any new cameras to be released in the near future that may be another option? As you can see I am leaning toward the Nikon line.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

D70FAN
09-30-2005, 10:43 AM
Application of camera:

My son's Little League Baseball games, wildlife (deer, my dad's bird dogs), plan to take camera to Alaska on vacation next summer, and the usual Christmas, Birthday indoor photo's.

Options:

Option 1
D70s kit (18~70mm Kit lens) $1200 + $220 Sigma 70~300 lens =$1420

Option 2 (While supplies last with $100 rebate)
D70 kit (18~70mm Kit lens) $1000 + $220 Sigma 70~300 lens = $1220

Option 3 (Has rebate now)
D50 body only $650 + Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1140

Option 4
D70s body only $900 +Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1390

Option 5 (If I can find a D70)
D70 body only $750 +Sigma 18~125mm $270 +Sigma 70~300 lens =$1240

I did not list the D50 lens kit as I read that those lens were not as good the D70(s) kit lens.

Well Option 1 is the most expensive and Option 3 is the least expensive. What are the pro's and con's of these 2 options or is the D70 option 2 or 5 better? So many choices?

Any idea as to how long the rebate will last on the D50?
How about D70 supplies?

Will prices go down around Christmas time?

Is there any new cameras to be released in the near future that may be another option? As you can see I am leaning toward the Nikon line.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mike

You might want to consider option 6:

D70 body $749 + Sigma 18-200 ($400) Nikkor 50mm f1.8 ($100). For $1250 you are covered.

With the D70 only $100 more than the D50 you might as well take the step-up. The D70s does not offer enough of a step-up to warrant the $150 extra.

Optional but eventually a good idea: SB600 speedlight $225.

kezs
09-30-2005, 10:53 AM
hey mike.

I didn't find anything on a D50 rebate... are you sure about that?

anyway, of the options you've mentioned, I'd definitely go for number 3. even though the d70s does have a few extra options, I doubt you'll ever use them - like white balance fine tuning or smaller ISO step options. I've seen a few reviews on the d50, and it seems its image quality is higher than that of d70/70s, being much less noisy on high ISOs, and having higher dynamic range. 1600 iso shots are totally usable. and you'll save yourself a couple hundred bucks... I'm probably going for a d50 myself by the end of the year.

about a possible price drop before christmas, I've done some looking around (I posted a thread about that if you wanna check it out) and it seems there'll be a rebate, at most. if you say there's already one available, then I don't see a reason to wait.

besides, I've seen a thread around here comparing the nikkor 18-70 to the sigma 18-125, and it seems they deliver pretty much the same image quality, the sigma having a much wider range. and a 70-300 would probably be all the telezoom you need...

there, my two pennies. hope it helps :D

kezs
09-30-2005, 10:58 AM
With the D70 only $100 more than the D50 you might as well take the step-up. The D70s does not offer enough of a step-up to warrant the $150 extra.

I beg to differ that a d70 is a step up from a d50. it has a couple of extra features, but a smaller lcd and - IMHO - worse image quality, since its dynamic range is much smaller, and images are much noisier.

(source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50A17.HTM)

D70FAN
09-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I beg to differ that a d70 is a step up from a d50. it has a couple of extra features, but a smaller lcd and - IMHO - worse image quality, since its dynamic range is much smaller, and images are much noisier.

(source: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D50/D50A17.HTM)

You know, I'm gald you brought that up. I questioned this apparent quality difference when the D50 first hit the market. So why do you suppose that is?

All 3 cameras use the same CCD imager, and the same image processor. That being the case, I would think that the D70 and D70s could (and probably do) achieve the same performance for NEF images as the D50.

It seems as though the Imatest results are done using JPEG in-camera processed images. If that is the case there is no good reason, that I can think of, that a firmware fix wouldn't improve the D70 and D70s JPEG performance as well. Or in leu of that upgrade, simply shoot in NEF for similar image quality. ;)

I agree that the larger LCD on the D50 (and D70s) is a nice feature, but the "couple of extra features" you mentioned on the D70 and D70s are actually pretty handy as well, and include:

- Backlit Info LCD.
- Dual quick setting control wheels.
- Depth Of Field preview.
- 1/8000 sec. shutter speed.
- Camera (wireless) control of remote Nikon speedlights.
- ISO settings in 1/3 stop increments.
- Viewfinder grid overlay.
- White balance adjustable in 10 mired steps
- 1005 metering zones w/adjustable center weighting (vs. 420 and no adjust) .
- Lower cost, higher available capacity, Compact Flash (just my opinion).

For as much as I like the D50 for what it is, my conclusion, and opinion is that the D70 is still a step-up from the D50. Your milage may vary.

kezs
09-30-2005, 10:55 PM
You know, I'm gald you brought that up. I questioned this apparent quality difference when the D50 first hit the market. So why do you suppose that is?

All 3 cameras use the same CCD imager, and the same image processor. That being the case, I would think that the D70 and D70s could (and probably do) achieve the same performance for NEF images as the D50.

It seems as though the Imatest results are done using JPEG in-camera processed images. If that is the case there is no good reason, that I can think of, that a firmware fix wouldn't improve the D70 and D70s JPEG performance as well. Or in leu of that upgrade, simply shoot in NEF for similar image quality. ;)

I agree that the larger LCD on the D50 (and D70s) is a nice feature, but the "couple of extra features" you mentioned on the D70 and D70s are actually pretty handy as well, and include:

- Backlit Info LCD.
- Dual quick setting control wheels.
- Depth Of Field preview.
- 1/8000 sec. shutter speed.
- Camera (wireless) control of remote Nikon speedlights.
- ISO settings in 1/3 stop increments.
- Viewfinder grid overlay.
- White balance adjustable in 10 mired steps
- 1005 metering zones w/adjustable center weighting (vs. 420 and no adjust) .
- Lower cost, higher available capacity, Compact Flash (just my opinion).

For as much as I like the D50 for what it is, my conclusion, and opinion is that the D70 is still a step-up from the D50. Your milage may vary.

I guess you're right. I overstated it. while the d70s is definitely a step up, the d70, though higher on the features scale, is already a bit dated. and it does seem that the d50 processing is more aimed at those who like their pics ready to roll right out of the camera, which explains the better image ratings and is natural for a "not so pro" camera. weighting the extra features in the d70 you mentioned, I personally don't see in them the hundred extra bucks. backlit lcd might come in handy occasionally, 1/8000 might even be used once or twice, but the rest I can perfectly live without. the smaller size and bigger lcd of the d50, besides the price, leave me no doubt between the d50 and the d70. all in all, I think if those extra features you mentioned were important enough for, I'd certainly go for the d70s.

this is just me, though. :D

cheers.

D70FAN
10-01-2005, 09:04 AM
I guess you're right. I overstated it. while the d70s is definitely a step up, the d70, though higher on the features scale, is already a bit dated. and it does seem that the d50 processing is more aimed at those who like their pics ready to roll right out of the camera, which explains the better image ratings and is natural for a "not so pro" camera. weighting the extra features in the d70 you mentioned, I personally don't see in them the hundred extra bucks. backlit lcd might come in handy occasionally, 1/8000 might even be used once or twice, but the rest I can perfectly live without. the smaller size and bigger lcd of the d50, besides the price, leave me no doubt between the d50 and the d70. all in all, I think if those extra features you mentioned were important enough for, I'd certainly go for the d70s.

this is just me, though. :D

cheers.

Yup. Agreed. Although I use all of those added features on the D70 frequently and would miss not having them.

The D70 is dated, in terms of tech-time (now 18 months), but was designed to be competitive for many years. I would challenge you to state, specifically, how it is dated. I don't know about you, but I appreciate not having to drop another $750 every year for a new feature, and I expect that I will still be happily shooting the D70 many years from now.

The litmus test for this is that the consumer dSLR's that have followed, from all manufactures, in this price range including Nikon, still do not surpass the D70 in features, performance or, in my opinion, picture quality. And now for $750 it has no equal in the marketplace.

Bottom line: If you want a pro-featured consumer dSLR, at a bargain basement price, then the D70 is the camera to buy (until Nikon runs out).

kezs
10-01-2005, 09:18 AM
I knew the word "dated" would sound really really strong. heh. it's ridiculous to think a piece of equipment released months ago is now dated... and it's certainly not, in absolute terms. it's just that the d70s has everything the d70 has, but it's slightly more modern. there's no doubt that any would satisfy enthusiasts and pro, though. it's just that if I think of this decision pricewise, it's the d50, and if it's feature wise, it's the d70s. the d70 has fallen into de limbo...

cheers!

D70FAN
10-01-2005, 01:19 PM
I knew the word "dated" would sound really really strong. heh. it's ridiculous to think a piece of equipment released months ago is now dated... and it's certainly not, in absolute terms. it's just that the d70s has everything the d70 has, but it's slightly more modern. there's no doubt that any would satisfy enthusiasts and pro, though. it's just that if I think of this decision pricewise, it's the d50, and if it's feature wise, it's the d70s. the d70 has fallen into de limbo...

cheers!

Since it's out of production... guess it is now "dated" so it's kind of a moot point.;)

Thanks for the dialog.

kezs
10-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I thank you!

...and everybody lived happily ever after! :highfive:

bklassen
10-04-2005, 12:48 AM
I've been in the hunt for a DSLR that will not only suit my needs, but that is also affordable (for my budget, at least) for a long time now. At first I was contemplating between a Rebel XT and a Pentax *ist DS.... all that changed when I saw the Nikon D50 :D .... I've read numerous reviews on the D50 and D70, and decided on the D50 much for some of the same reasons you (and others) have. I went to my local retail store that deals a lot with photography stuff (London Drugs, a western Canadian chain store - their photo department is excellent.), and tried out the D50 - I was truly impressed! It just felt so much more comfortable in my hands than the Rebel XT, and I was impressed with the quality of images... comparing the two cameras in person really helps, and I'm sold on picking up the D50 ASAP.

If you're looking for the D50 new with some good quality lenses and other accessories, and don't mind dealing through ebay, you can put together a respectable kit for FAR LESS than any of those options stated in the first post. I found a Power Seller on ebay that deals primarily with Photography, and they seem quite reputable. Included in the kit is:

- D50 body
- Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens (from what I've gathered, Tamron makes better quality lenses than Sigma, although I guess this can be somewhat subjective)
- Tamron 75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD AF Macro Lens
- 1GB SD card
- USB SD card reader
- Weather proof camera bag
- Deluxe Video & Photo Tripod
- "Professional" 3 Pc. Lens Cleaning Kit

.... all for the astounding price of $848 USD!!! Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7550668795&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm pretty much sold on it. What do you guys think?

Kenyada
10-04-2005, 05:57 AM
...snipped.....If you're looking for the D50 new with some good quality lenses and other accessories, and don't mind dealing through ebay, you can put together a respectable kit for FAR LESS than any of those options stated in the first post. I found a Power Seller on ebay that deals primarily with Photography, and they seem quite reputable. Included in the kit is:

- D50 body
- Tamron 28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 AF Zoom Lens (from what I've gathered, Tamron makes better quality lenses than Sigma, although I guess this can be somewhat subjective)
- 1GB SD card
- USB SD card reader

.... all for the astounding price of $848 USD!!! Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7550668795&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Kit looks great, dealer? be very cautious and read what former customers have to say about Sunshine Electronics:
http://www.resellerratings.com/seller3032-p1-s4-d1.html

I'm not saying that they're not legit, I'm just saying "when it looks too good to be true..." But if you do decide to buy the set-up let us know how it turns out. Good Luck! :)

coldrain
10-04-2005, 08:06 AM
If you're looking for the D50 new with some good quality lenses and other accessories, and don't mind dealing through ebay, you can put together a respectable kit for FAR LESS than any of those options stated in the first post. I found a Power Seller on ebay that deals primarily with Photography, and they seem quite reputable. Included in the kit is:

- D50 body
- 1GB SD card
- USB SD card reader

The lenses in that kit are not so amazing. Some Tamrons are nice, some Sigmas are nice. The 28-80 i would avoid. It is a cheap and chearful one designed as cheap lens for film DSLR's. The 28mm will be a 42mm on the D50, and that is not wide at all. The kitlens for the D50 (18-55 i think) and the 18-70 for the D70 both are better and have a more useful range.

The 70-300 is not the best in class either, it is just the cheapest in class. It is not a terrible lens though. Very noisy it is, with its autofocus motor. The Sigma 70-300 APO version is the best of this class of compact telezooms.

Sigma has two lenses that have a big range that are affordable and good for their breed, the 18-125mm and 18-200mm.

Tamrons that ARE recommended are the f2.8-4 17-35mm and f2.8 28-75mm lenses. They are very sharp and optically good. A Sigma that performs as well as these is the Sigma f2.8 18-50 mm.

If you want to bring the best (well, at least not the worst) out of the D50, you should consider either the Nikkor kitlens of the D50 or the kitlens of the D70s, and get the Sigma 70-300mm APO which has a decent macro setting (that tamron above has a 1:3.5 "macro", the Sigma manages 1:2).

You get what you pay for, sort of, and that lens set of that kit is kind of crap.

And if you really care about the quality of the images, you will have to pay more.... the sigma's and tamrons I listed are good lenses that will not disappoint you.

bklassen
10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the heads-up coldrain. Obviously there are some discrepancies between what one person views to be the best lense compared to someone else's opinion. Then again, the auction I posted is a "starter kit" of sorts, of which I half expected the lenses to not be top notch. The gist that I got out of your post was that while some people may think Tamrons manufacture better quality lenses, their lower-end stuff may not be as good as higher quality Sigma lenses.

I found another two auctions that sell similar stuff, but with Sigma lenses (although the tele one is not APO)...now I'm aware that these as well are probably around "entry level" lenses and aren't the most superb quality, but what do you guys think of these? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7549995215&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7549287595&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Oh, and thanks for that link to look up resellers Kenyada! It appears 47st.Photo has a much better overall rating than Priceritephoto in those two auctions I just posted links for...

bklassen
10-08-2005, 02:02 AM
Well, after a bit of searching and patience searching around on ebay, I finally ended up with a decent package for what I think is a pretty awesome price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7551315423&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Got the D50 body and Nikkor kit lense, along with bunch of extras (extra battery, external flash, 256mb SD card, etc.) for $810 USD. Not only that, he lives like 45 mins away from my house, and living in Canada like I do, I won't be paying around $150 in taxes and duty getting it across the border. Let me know what you guys think! Now all I need is a high speed 1GB memory card and a 70-300mm telephoto lense :D

Kenyada
10-08-2005, 06:20 AM
There's a lot to like about your package... an Extra Battery, a Nikon remote shutter release, Photoshop Elements, a slave flash, etc. WOW! I'm glad you found a better dealer by looking around. There is something to be said for the advantage of "buying with confidence." Enjoy ! :)

bklassen
10-08-2005, 08:53 PM
Yup, I can't wait to receive the camera and everything else I got in that auction! :)

Does anybody have any suggestions for a good telephoto lens (preferably under $200? - don't wanna spend TOO much) that has a range up to 300mm? I know coldrain suggested the Sigma 70-300 APO one, does anybody have experience with it? Any issues with AF at the long range of zooming? Any other suggestions? I'm kind of new to all of this lense stuff for DSLRs now, and I'll try and do my research online, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

bklassen
10-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Well, I'm looking at two lenses here on ebay... (I'm in no hurry to purchase a telephoto lens at this point, so we'll see if prices come down at all in the next few months). Let me know what you guys think of these two lenses:

Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 ll APO Macro Super
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7552557267&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

and a Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300 F4-5.6G Zoom Lens G 70-300mm (not sure if this will fit on my D50? Doesn't the D50 take D type lenses only?)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7552910256&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

And finally, how does this Sigma lens compare to the APO version?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7550710846&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks for your help guys!!

TheObiJuan
10-13-2005, 02:18 AM
Get the sigma 70-300 apo macro, it's the best. The macro is awesome and the lack of chromatic abberation in the images is awesome.
I would not recommend that one since it's for a Canon. ;)

bklassen
10-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your response TheObiJuan! I think the APO sort of suits my needs (especially how I'm into macro photography too!), and is within my price range. Now to hunt for the best price out there...heh heh.

bklassen
10-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I seem to have found a good deal over at Adorama.com on a used Sigma 70-300 APO lens. It's described as:

Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 Apo Dl Mac F/sigma

Will this lens fit on the D50?

Unfortunately, with more digging, I've found two more lenses that catch my eye, mainly because they are Nikkor's - made by Nikon, FOR their own cameras. Let me know what you think of these two:

Nikon Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikkor SLR Camera Lens for $139
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y3OM/ref=olp_product_details/002-8753954-1269635?v=glance&s=photo

and Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens (Black) on sale for $189 new at Adorama
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009HN57Y/ref=olp_product_details/002-8753954-1269635?v=glance&s=photo

I know the 55-200 is significantly smaller and more ideal for carrying around, but I'm just worried about it not having as much range as either the Sigma APO or the Nikkor 70-300 AF, that and neither of the Nikkors are capable of macro photography.. (just realized that the Nikkor 70-300 is a G lense, will this fit on a D50? I'm confused about all the different lense types and what will fit on the D50...). Any help/input is GREATLY appreciated, thanks guys!

Quorthon
10-14-2005, 05:18 AM
I'll leave the specific recommecndations for the more experienced users here... what I did want to share is a great link to an explanation of all the Nikon lens jargon: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm , which will probably come in handy for comparing lens features.

Or

D70FAN
10-14-2005, 07:44 AM
I seem to have found a good deal over at Adorama.com on a used Sigma 70-300 APO lens. It's described as:

Sigma 70-300 4/5.6 Apo Dl Mac F/sigma

Will this lens fit on the D50?

Unfortunately, with more digging, I've found two more lenses that catch my eye, mainly because they are Nikkor's - made by Nikon, FOR their own cameras. Let me know what you think of these two:

Nikon Autofocus 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikkor SLR Camera Lens for $139
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y3OM/ref=olp_product_details/002-8753954-1269635?v=glance&s=photo

and Nikon 55-200mm f4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens (Black) on sale for $189 new at Adorama
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009HN57Y/ref=olp_product_details/002-8753954-1269635?v=glance&s=photo

I know the 55-200 is significantly smaller and more ideal for carrying around, but I'm just worried about it not having as much range as either the Sigma APO or the Nikkor 70-300 AF, that and neither of the Nikkors are capable of macro photography.. (just realized that the Nikkor 70-300 is a G lense, will this fit on a D50? I'm confused about all the different lense types and what will fit on the D50...). Any help/input is GREATLY appreciated, thanks guys!

The Sigma 70-300 F/sigma is for a Sigma mount. The Nikor 70-300G should be avoided (mine is a paperweight). The 55-200 might be ok but I haven't heard much about it yet as it is a new (very) low-cost 2nd kit lens for the D50.

All Nikkor AF lenses will work on the D50. The difference between the G and the D lens is that there is no manual aperture ring on the G lenses (not needed on newer film and digital Nikon AF cameras).

For a low cost long tele zoom stick with the Sigma 70-300 APO.

Glenn Kennedy
10-14-2005, 08:03 AM
... as you look as though you know your way through the lens maze.

i have a D70. The telephoto zoom I own is a (now discontinued) AF Nikkor 75 - 240 f 4.5-5.6 D.

I was never sure that I liked it when I used it on a film camera and I don't think I like it now. I am not satisfied with on-screen images or prints (A4 size) I seem to get. They just aren't sharp enough. I don't want to spend an absolute fortune for something better - but am prepared to pay a good sum for a good lens. The price of the Sigma you refer to is well within my range - but is it likely to be any better than my Nikkor?? If not - what would you suggest that is a bit pricier.

bklassen
10-14-2005, 01:07 PM
I'll leave the specific recommecndations for the more experienced users here... what I did want to share is a great link to an explanation of all the Nikon lens jargon: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm , which will probably come in handy for comparing lens features.

I have come across that site actually, and it has been quite helpful. He seems to HIGHLY recommend the 70-210 AF Zooms, but they seem to be a tad out of my price range...possibly something to save up for. So now it's between the Nikkor 70-210 and the Sigma 70-300 APO :confused:

George, could you please explain why the Nikon 70-300G should be avoided? I know Ken Rockwell is not the god of lenses, it's purely his opinion, but he seems to hold that lens in high regard considering it's fairly low price tag...

bklassen
10-27-2005, 02:03 PM
any reasoning behind your views on the 70-300 George? Just curious. And my previous questions still stand as well. I'm guessing not many people know or have knowledge/experience on these lenses seeing as how nobody has responded? :(

D70FAN
10-27-2005, 11:00 PM
any reasoning behind your views on the 70-300 George? Just curious. And my previous questions still stand as well. I'm guessing not many people know or have knowledge/experience on these lenses seeing as how nobody has responded? :(

Sorry, I have just returned from a really hectic 10 day biz trip in Europe and have not had a chance to look at the posts here.

The 70-300G is a little flakey, and not worth the $170 or so that it costs. The three I have tried (and one I own) are less than stellar performers and none that I have used are sharp above about 200mm.

The Sigma 70-300 APO is much more consistant at about f6.3 to f16 and will give sharper images above 200mm. The Nikon 70-300D will work as well as the Sigma but costs about $100 more. I had, and sold, my Sigma 70-300 APO as I rarely used it, and prefer to rent a Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR when I need a longer lens.

coldrain
10-28-2005, 01:51 AM
The APO version is not the same as the DL version, bklassen. Be sure to get an APO one if you decide on the Sigma.

D70FAN
10-28-2005, 07:14 AM
The APO version is not the same as the DL version, bklassen. Be sure to get an APO one if you decide on the Sigma.

Coldrain, How is that 18-50 working out on your Canon?

coldrain
10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
Coldrain, How is that 18-50 working out on your Canon?
Besides that it is a bit inconsitent with focussing (I should contact Sigma to have it calibrated I guess) it is quite a nice lens. I work around that by pressing the shutter a few times and decide when it is focussed when needed.
It does not front or back focus, it just seems to decide when it is focussed very inconsistently. I will have to make time to research carefully what actually is going on.
My Tamron does not mind at all to focus correctly.

I read a review of it in the german Foto Magazin (german magazines are very good, I wish english/american magazines were that good :mad: ) tested on a D70s and D2X. It scored as good optically as the AF-S DX 2.8 17-55mm G IF-ED. At a 3rd of the price that is not too shabby for this Sigma.

D70FAN
10-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Besides that it is a bit inconsitent with focussing (I should contact Sigma to have it calibrated I guess) it is quite a nice lens. I work around that by pressing the shutter a few times and decide when it is focussed when needed.
It does not front or back focus, it just seems to decide when it is focussed very inconsistently. I will have to make time to research carefully what actually is going on.
My Tamron does not mind at all to focus correctly.

I read a review of it in the german Foto Magazin (german magazines are very good, I wish english/american magazines were that good :mad: ) tested on a D70s and D2X. It scored as good optically as the AF-S DX 2.8 17-55mm G IF-ED. At a 3rd of the price that is not too shabby for this Sigma.

The reason I asked is that Canon owners seem to have focus issues with Sigma lenses in general, and in low light in particular. People who have sent the lenses back to Sigma for calibration seem to get back a very nice lens, so maybe you should send it in.

Thanks for the feedback.

bklassen
11-02-2005, 01:52 AM
Thank you very much for your input guys. Looks like I'll be keeping an eye out for an APO come this holiday season :) . That is unless I can find any deals on a Nikkor 70-200 or 70-210, heh heh...