PDA

View Full Version : Manual Nikkor lens controls on a D50

GuyB
09-28-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm getting a 28mm f2.8 AF auto focus lens for my D50. I'm assuming all the in-camera focusing and speed and aperture controls will still work and be displayed just as the kit lens does.

If I got say an 35mm f2 AIS manual lens, I assume I'd use the all manual rotary controls on the lens for speed, aperture and focus; but would these display correctly on the LCDs and in the viewfinder? And would all the shot info be contained in the jpeg in Nikon PictureProject as it does with AF lens?

D70FAN
09-28-2005, 07:27 AM
I'm getting a 28mm f2.8 AF auto focus lens for my D50. I'm assuming all the in-camera focusing and speed and aperture controls will still work and be displayed just as the kit lens does.

If I got say an 35mm f2 AIS manual lens, I assume I'd use the all manual rotary controls on the lens for speed, aperture and focus; but would these display correctly on the LCDs and in the viewfinder? And would all the shot info be contained in the jpeg in Nikon PictureProject as it does with AF lens?

To the 28mm f/2.8. It will work fine as long as you keep the manual aperture ring locked at f22.

Let us know how the AIS lens goes. Without being "chipped" there is no connection between camera and lens, and hence no information or camera interaction. Chipping runs about $125, so better to buy a used AF 35 f/2.

GuyB
09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the tip George. I wouldn't have known about the f22 trick. There's a wee orange click stop thingy for doing just that.

My Ģ85 s/h 28mm AF lens has literally just plopped through the postbox, with a free Hoya skylight!

MUCH sharper and brighter than the kit lens, and much nicer feel on the manual focusing.

D70FAN
09-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the tip George. I wouldn't have known about the f22 trick. There's a wee orange click stop thingy for doing just that.

My Ģ85 s/h 28mm AF lens has literally just plopped through the postbox, with a free Hoya skylight!

MUCH sharper and brighter than the kit lens, and much nicer feel on the manual focusing.

That's the reason the f22 marking is red/orange. Most people don't read the little manual that comes with the lens (if any) and try, in vain, to use the manual aperture ring on an AF camera.

That was a very good price on the AF Nikkor 28mm f2.8. Like I said before you might want to pass on the 35mm f2 AIS lens, and look for the AF version used.

Have fun with the 28.

GuyB
09-28-2005, 10:07 AM
The 28mm looks like it's going to be great for most situations, but I'm also after something specifically for taking photos of my paintings in the studio. I need a fast prime for fairly low light situations with minimal barrel distortion.

The 28mm does seem to have noticable distortion here. I'm not sure the 35mm f/2.8 would be much better than the 28mm, and a 50mm would probably be too narrow. Any ideas?

goletitout
09-28-2005, 04:54 PM
@George: Do you have to keep the manual aperture ring locked at f22 with all the AF-lenses, or only with non-zoom-lenses ?
Note : Iīm currently a P&S user considering to buy a D50.
I also ask wonder if itīll really be that easy to produce good pics with no SLR experience so far. Just by letting the camera do the focusing issues and playing a bit with the ISOs and aperture, for example. My Canon SD500 makes cool pics for such a small P&S...it would really disappoint me if a D50 with kit lens wouldnīt match that quality without having to read 5 books before. See, Iīm note questioning the camīs quality, but the ability to produce stunning pics in a beginnerīs hand. What would you say ībout that ?

D70FAN
09-28-2005, 07:55 PM
@George: Do you have to keep the manual aperture ring locked at f22 with all the AF-lenses, or only with non-zoom-lenses ?
Note : Iīm currently a P&S user considering to buy a D50.
I also ask wonder if itīll really be that easy to produce good pics with no SLR experience so far. Just by letting the camera do the focusing issues and playing a bit with the ISOs and aperture, for example. My Canon SD500 makes cool pics for such a small P&S...it would really disappoint me if a D50 with kit lens wouldnīt match that quality without having to read 5 books before. See, Iīm note questioning the camīs quality, but the ability to produce stunning pics in a beginnerīs hand. What would you say ībout that ?

If the AF lens has a manual aperture ring then it probably needs to be set at the smallest aperture to work on an AF camera, as, again the idea was to have an AF lens backward compatible with manual focus cameras. This is, of course, not the case with AF-only lenses which do not have a manual aperture ring.

I don't see why there would be a problem shooting the D50 in Auto or Program mode, with the kit lens, and getting great pictures. My idea of stunning and your idea of stunning may be different. At f6.3 to f11 the kit lens should do at least as well as the SD500. Since I have never used the kit lens (i.e.18-55 DX) I can only speculate.

goletitout
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
And what about the 50mm 1.8 lens ? Is this one soft a large apertures ? Iīve read a lot of bad things about the Rebel XT with 50 1.8 lens being quite soft wide open. I hope this is not the case with the Nikkor 50 1.8.

GuyB
09-29-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm still experimenting with the 28mm f2.8, but I find the 2.8 setting quite tricky. It has a REALLY fine DOF. For a lot of photographers, this is half the charm, as it allows you a great deal of creative control to pick out a very specific part of the frame to isolate. Around f4 and up, it eases up a lot. The main thing is, lens like these make you THINK and MOVE.

By the way goletitout, if you keep the D50 on auto setting and with the kit lens, I'm sure you'd find it as easy as any P&S to use.

goletitout
09-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the input ! I understand, with the fine DOF. Even if itīs tricky, I should be possible at least, I mean, possible to get sharp pics at wide apertures.

George meant f6.3-f11 should be fine without really knowing it...would you (George and the others) expect the 18-70 Nikkor to be less soft wide open in comparison with the 18-55 kit lens ? Iīve seen test pics of D50 with 18-70 on dcresource.com with aperture 3.8 or so...they look very very impressive. Clearly, my SD500 /as good as it may be) canīt compare here. The pics look absolutely of another world than the SD500. My previously seen test pics with 18-55 on steves-digicams also looked better than SD500, a lot, but they were all shot at smaller apertures.
If I buy an f3.5 lens (max. ap. at wide angle) I would like apertures of 3.5-4.5 to be very usable, not ****** soft. Perhaps better to buy the 18-70 ??

D70FAN
09-29-2005, 04:52 PM
And what about the 50mm 1.8 lens ? Is this one soft a large apertures ? Iīve read a lot of bad things about the Rebel XT with 50 1.8 lens being quite soft wide open. I hope this is not the case with the Nikkor 50 1.8.

The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 is barely soft wide open, but by f/2.2 starts getting pretty sharp. By f2.8 it's very nice. In many cases lenses are perceived to be soft due to the extremely shallow DOF at f/1.8 (or less). Someone changing from an all-in-one to a dSLR with an f/1.4 or f/1.8 lens, and shooting daylight landscapes wide-open will probably not like the results.

I read and hear a lot of things, but I haven't heard or read "bad things" about the XT and 50mm f/1.8. The 18-55 kit lens... yes..., but the thrifty-fifty is a new one to me.

GuyB
09-30-2005, 12:35 AM
Is there a technical reason why lenses are thought to be sharpest down a couple of stops?

I think the Nikon 18-70mm is a great buy if you want an all-purpose zoom. You'd have to get very good before you outgrew this. I got the 18-55mm because I only needed an occasional fun backup zoom to the 35mm.

cleo
10-03-2005, 01:01 PM
George,

May I ask what cameras you use?

D70FAN
10-03-2005, 10:57 PM
George,

May I ask what cameras you use?

Sure. Nikon D70 most of the time, and my old Nikon 990 for macros. A Nikon FE and Minolta 3Si for film. I have a Rollie 35 mini around here someplace, but I haven't seen it since I moved. I had a Pentax 945 for a while that I wish I had kept, and may buy one again some day.

That's it.