PDA

View Full Version : Books On Photography Tips

iain
09-25-2005, 03:35 PM
I was wondering if anyone ould like to see a thread on photography books? I recently bought a book called, "Understand Exposure" by Bryan Peterson and it has made a HUGE differance to my life :)

spoonbill1970
09-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Great Idea.

Here's my twa ha'penny's worth...

"40 Digital Photography Techniques" by John Kim orYoungjin.com (The name of the authour is not immediately obvious)

This is a great wee book which will instruct beginners on the ins and outs of exposure, white balance, composition etc, without spending half the pages on manipulating photos on the PC. That was what initially made the book stand out from the rest on the shelf. (There is a follow up which deals with this in great depth)
All the things that mystify newbies are dealt with in a way that encourages the reader to try new things with the cam.

It is superbly illustrated with side-by-side pictures which show the difference between using a setting on your digicam, and another pic which shows what happens without the setting.

It's very well laid out, with a simple, easy-to-follow format. (Handy for the likes of myself)

I would whole-heartedly recommend this book if you are like me - new to digital, but looking to expand my ability with a camera.

Iain, I will check out "Understanding Exposure". Thanks for the tip.

Spoonbill1970

Kenyada
09-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Currently in my desk drawer, and referenced frequently, is "Digital Photographer's Handbook" by Tom Ang. It's a hardcover, 400-pager, packed with photos, stats, techniques... but what I love about it is that it doesn't isolate digital photography from digital technology. It goes into computer hardware, software, the science and the art. It covers color management, B&W... and it's all in splendid color and exquisite black and white. It's the kind of book that you want to keep close by - for instruction, as well as inspiration. I picked it up while browsing a Borders Bookstore.

BTW, thanks for the tips on Understand Exposure and 40 Digital Photography Techniques. I have both in my cart on Amazon.com. :)

wall
09-30-2005, 01:29 AM
"Understanding Exposure" is, in my opinion, one of the best books on photography for newbies. It covers all the technical aspects with clarity and simplicity, as well as providing lots of artistic ideas and compo tips. Highly recommended.

Of the many other introductory photography books I've read through, none really stands out. Most are the same: A title of some technique/situation followed by a few example photos and a little blurb of text no one bothers to read. I just skim through those and absorb ideas, then toss 'em when I'm through. For those kinds of books, I recommend looking in your local public library and not bother buying, unless you find a really particularly interesting one.

EDIT: BTW, this should be moved to the "Tips and Techniques" forum.