PDA

View Full Version : Lenses for D70s

neokenzo
09-21-2005, 01:52 AM
I finally decided to get the D70s. Only thing now I am not sure whether to get the kit or go for something like Sigma 18-125 or 18-200. Is it worth it getting the kit and one of the Sigma's? I intend to shoot mainly sceeneries and potraits. Also can someone suggest a good lense for potrait and macro's?

Thanks in advance.

nwpoland
09-21-2005, 03:21 AM
Greetings,
As you browse similar posts you'll find many people suggesting the Sigma 18-125 or 18-200 for the Nikon D50, D70/s. I personally passed on the kit lens and got the 18-200 and am thrilled with it. I don't see a reason why you'd want/need the overlap of kit AND 18-xxx as the Sigma quality is incredible for the price of the lenses and the focal lengths would be redundant. I think in the end you'd probably never get the Nikon kit lens out and eventually try to sell it off for a little extra $$$.

The 18-200 is not a macro lens but does a great job with close-ups...you just generally need to crop in order to get the "perspective" you're looking for. But you'd need to look elsewhere (I can't address specifics in this department) for a true macro lens.

Hope that helps...if you want to look at some of my images taken actually on my first day with my D50/18-200DC/SB-600 (speedlight flash) combo you can look at the link below. The images have been cropped when necessary and tweaked a little in Photoshop. But my feeling is that the edits I do just enhance what is already there...I'm not actually creating anything in PS (of course some truists would argue against that, but whatever):

http://homepage.mac.com/theshattucks/NikonD50/

D70FAN
09-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Greetings,
As you browse similar posts you'll find many people suggesting the Sigma 18-125 or 18-200 for the Nikon D50, D70/s. I personally passed on the kit lens and got the 18-200 and am thrilled with it. I don't see a reason why you'd want/need the overlap of kit AND 18-xxx as the Sigma quality is incredible for the price of the lenses and the focal lengths would be redundant. I think in the end you'd probably never get the Nikon kit lens out and eventually try to sell it off for a little extra $$$.

The 18-200 is not a macro lens but does a great job with close-ups...you just generally need to crop in order to get the "perspective" you're looking for. But you'd need to look elsewhere (I can't address specifics in this department) for a true macro lens.

Hope that helps...if you want to look at some of my images taken actually on my first day with my D50/18-200DC/SB-600 (speedlight flash) combo you can look at the link below. The images have been cropped when necessary and tweaked a little in Photoshop. But my feeling is that the edits I do just enhance what is already there...I'm not actually creating anything in PS (of course some truists would argue against that, but whatever):

http://homepage.mac.com/theshattucks/NikonD50/

Looks like that combination is working very well.

usarmyhunter
09-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I am interested in what kind of macro lense are you using. I just got the D50 outfit package I have pretty good pictures in macro but I want to have more close up .. :D