PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D70s shutter speed

Claus S
09-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi all,
I just recieved my D70s yesterday I was trying a few test shots. I found however that i can't get the shutter speed below 1/500. Is there some setting i have missed? I tried reading through the manual a few times but didn't find anything there either. Hope some can help..

D70FAN
09-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Hi all,
I just recieved my D70s yesterday I was trying a few test shots. I found however that i can't get the shutter speed below 1/500. Is there some setting i have missed? I tried reading through the manual a few times but didn't find anything there either. Hope some can help..

Are you trying to set shutter speed manually? Or are you just shooting pictures in auto and program mode expecting longer shutter speeds?

Do you have the camera set to Auto ISO on in the menu? Try turning it off.

Claus S
09-21-2005, 03:18 AM
tried setting it manually. Tried all the different ISO settings. It just ekpt sticking to minimum 1/500.... I read in the manual that it can only sync the flask down to 1/500 thats the only indicator to where this limit come from..... But I also read the the flash was "disabled" as default on the M,A,S,P modes. So i dont understand why it would limit the shutter speed.

nwpoland
09-21-2005, 04:45 AM
Yeah it seems that the only time you should be limited is when using the flash (per the manual p.128). What about when you are in aperture-priority mode? If you select a small aperture in a dark-ish setting (low ISO), will the camera set the shutter at a speed lower than 1/500??

D70FAN
09-21-2005, 07:44 AM
tried setting it manually. Tried all the different ISO settings. It just ekpt sticking to minimum 1/500.... I read in the manual that it can only sync the flask down to 1/500 thats the only indicator to where this limit come from..... But I also read the the flash was "disabled" as default on the M,A,S,P modes. So i dont understand why it would limit the shutter speed.

Not sure you understood that there is a menu setting (05) for Auto ISO "ON" or "OFF". Turn it OFF, and try.

brandname
09-21-2005, 01:05 PM
1/500th is the highest you can use with that flash. flip the flash down and you can go as high as the camera allows. So the higher shutter speeds work best in outside lighting unless you have som extra light with you.

Claus S
09-22-2005, 02:03 AM
Thank you all for your help... I tried all the things you suggested... non helped. Finally i hit the reset button at the base of the cam. After this I can now set the shutter speed below 1/500 :)

Now the next problem i have is the reason for wanting to set a fast shutter speed was to be able to take a shot of my monitor. (TFT one) But each time i try the picture turns out VERY distorted. Even though in the view finder all looks fine. I must have tried alll possible shutter speed and aparture settings. took nearly 100 shots.
Reason for wanting to take a shot of my monitor is to send sample of a dead pixel to manufacture. I'm trying a very close up using the Sigma 180mm macro.

Wow this explanation some how got a bit longer than I intended... Sorry