PDA

View Full Version : anybody used a z6?

kayjayay
09-17-2005, 06:23 PM
I am trying to decide between a K-M Z6 and a Panasoniv FZ20. Both the Z5 and the FZ20 reportedly have noise issues at ISOs greater than 150 or 200, according to many websites. But, I haven't been able to find a full review of the Z6 yet. The question is, did K-M fix the noise problem, or did going to 6 megapixels (from 5) actually make the problem worse?

THANKS!

tgaf
10-02-2005, 10:43 PM
I have a Z6 which I have been using for over a week now (over 400 pics). I like it very much. It has no particular problem with noise that I have found. I owned (and eventually sold) a Panasonic FZ20. The problem for me was a preference for a certain type of photograph vs. another. The Z6 is a Minolta, with the smooth, filmlike, somewhat understated quality that Minolta is known for. With a touch of sharpening and a bit of color boost (for my preferences) the pics come out just the way I like.

The Panasonic has a more foreward picture. It also had an occasional color cast in many pics that was difficult to get rid of. Another thing I didn't like was the fact that the evf and lcd don't gain up in the dark. You are essentially taking a shot in the dark. Again, noise was not a particular problem in real world terms. Do you plan on printing larger than the standard 8.5x11 sheet of paper?

I have posted pics from both cameras at www.pbase.com/tgaf. Some of them are the same or similar subjects. You are welcome to visit the site and compare the pictures from the two cameras. They are both fine cameras. You won't go wrong with either. It depends on your preferences.

lindann
10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
I got a Z6 on Saturday and am just getting a chance to get some shots with it. The first photos taken were of people and I loved the quality that I saw. I am trying to get used to the zoom functions at this point. Just going through trying everything out, but thus far, I like what I see. By the way, tgaf, I enjoyed looking at all of the photos you had on that link. Very nice.

tgaf
10-03-2005, 10:47 PM
I look forward to seeing some of your pics some day. The Z6 not only takes nice pics; it is easy to use and a fun camera. Happy shooting. Best wishes. Tom

lindann
10-04-2005, 06:23 PM
I have taken a few, but mine just don't look as great as yours. I will practice a few more times before I post a link for you to view. It is really taken more practice to become accustomed to the 12 x. My other camera was just a Canon Powershot A60. That was only a 3x optical zoom.
So, just let me get a bit more practice. Thanks...Linda

extremefire
10-18-2005, 06:11 AM
A couple of more questions for you two.

Do you think that its a hinderance to only have jpeg as an option to save files in?? One of my wishes for a camera was to have RAW support, I just don't know how necessary it is for me.

Also, what do you think of the color?? And would K-M void my warranty if I painted it ;)

This camera seems to be a good deal for the what you get, that definitely scores points for it while I am trying to decide what camera to get.

speaklightly
10-18-2005, 06:27 AM
Using raw format on any digital camera guarantees that you will be doing a lot of post processing. Most users are surprised by how much extra time is required.

Sarah Joyce

edvanawesome
10-18-2005, 05:46 PM
could you submit a sequence from a golf swing or a skateboard trick etc. using the UHS mode? pretty pleasssssssssseee?

johnmed3
10-27-2005, 06:19 AM
.....................and had not had any problems with noise. I' took some shots (portrait) of my son in 320 iso (P) setting, and printed very well. No noticable noise on a 8x10 print.

morkheng
11-04-2005, 10:11 PM
anyone knows why it's a pop up flash instead of a non-pop up but exposed flash like Z20?

lindann
11-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Sorry Morkheng, I don't know the answer to that one.

lindann
11-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Here are a couple of links to photos I have taken with my Z6:
http://usera.imagecave.com/linda_s/FORCASEBOOK/
and another:
http://usera.imagecave.com/linda_s/october05/

and finally:

http://usera.imagecave.com/linda_s/beaverlakeanddam/

The one called gorgeous fall day was taken with my little Canon Powershot A60. It still takes nice ones too!
Anyway, as you can see I have much more practicing and learning to do which I why I have been stopping in here reading. I like to go to the photo gallery and look at the wonderful photos to get ideas.
Have a nice night.
Linda

tgaf
11-28-2005, 06:42 PM
I checked out your links. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing.
Tom

lindann
11-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks Tom I might get brave and pick some of my other ones to post at the photo gallery here. I need to go and read the rules and help, and then decide about posting. I sure enjoy the Z6. :)
Thanks for checking them out.