PDA

View Full Version : Promaster Lenses

Buffy
09-17-2005, 06:03 PM
I'm new to Nikons and DSLRs and looking for a good lens to take photos at my Son's sporting events. Looking a t something in the 80-200mm range. The local camera store only carries Promaster lenses. Are they any good? I can't seem to find much on them on the internet. Thanks.

D70FAN
09-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm new to Nikons and DSLRs and looking for a good lens to take photos at my Son's sporting events. Looking a t something in the 80-200mm range. The local camera store only carries Promaster lenses. Are they any good? I can't seem to find much on them on the internet. Thanks.

Sorry I thought I had answered this one.

I have never heard of Promaster. May be good, but it's definately a risk. My take on this is that since you have not received an answer in 3 days, there may be reason for pause. I would not buy an off brand without at least 1 or 2 valid user reviews.

If money is no object then the Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 can't be beat for $900. In the more reasonable range....

If you are looking for utility then the Sigma 18-200 (~$400) should serve you well. If you are just looking for a longer Telephoto the Sigma 70-300 APO (~$200) is as good as the Nikkor 70-300 D (~$300). Forget the Nikkor 70-300G it is $135 for a reason.

Hope this helps.

Kenyada
09-20-2005, 12:00 PM

A real good barometer for gauging the value of photography equipment is to go to a reputable retailer online and do a search for the brand name in question. I could find no Promaster lenses at the B&H website. I've heard that Tamron makes a few telephoto Promaster lenses, but these lenses are sold in "camera shops" or Broadway-type store fronts that also sell rings and watches.

You said it yourself, you're looking for a "good lens." In your place, I'd heed the advice George gave you. :)

Buffy
09-21-2005, 08:10 PM
Thank you for the replies and good advice. I didn't figure that the Promaster lenses were very popular since I couldn't find much on them either, but this camera store in Boise is very reputable so I'm surprised that they carry these lenses. I value your input. :)

thesween
09-22-2005, 02:43 PM
ProMaster used to be Penney's house brand for the handful of SLRs they once sold. I have a Pentax K1000(a marvelous manual body)that was given to me by a family member, and it came with a fully manual 28-70mm zoom that was a ProMaster. I was never able to unearth any info on these lenses whatsoever, but from personal experience consider this; at certain focal lengths it's pretty sharp, at others it sucks. I can also offer this, you could drive nails with this thing, it's built for abuse...