PDA

View Full Version : Rechargeable Alkaline vs NiMH

09-25-2004, 12:01 PM
How do rechargeable alkaline AA batteries compare with NiMH AA batteries when used in a digital camera ?

Also, why do NiMH AA batteries only have 1.2v, doesn't that affect something in some way ? I mean other alkaline batteries have 1.5v.

Rhys
09-25-2004, 12:15 PM
How do rechargeable alkaline AA batteries compare with NiMH AA batteries when used in a digital camera ?

Also, why do NiMH AA batteries only have 1.2v, doesn't that affect something in some way ? I mean other alkaline batteries have 1.5v.

Alkalines aren't rechargable. The difference - possibly 10 times the photos with NiMh as opposed to alkalines. Plus NiMh can be recharged many times (possibly 500 - 1000) before needing replacement.

Voltage 1.5v to 1.2v makes no difference to digital cameras. They're designed to work from 1.7v to 1.0v.

09-25-2004, 12:27 PM
There are rechargeable alkaline... here is a website about those batteries.

I think they are rechareable alkaline with magnesium or something

http://www.pureenergybattery.com/

Robert Besen
09-25-2004, 08:48 PM
In general, rechargeable alkalines will have a shorter cylce life than NiMH cells, and the capacity drop off with each cyce can be pretty steep. Also, alkaline cells don't have the current capability that NiMH cells have, and this makes them less than ideal for power hungry devices like digital cameras. On the plus side, primary (non-rechargeable) alkaline cells loose very little capacity when they're not being used, unlike NiMH cells. I believe this applies to rechargeable alkaline cells also.

I would avoid rechargeable alkalines for digital cameras.

09-25-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info... I was not really looking to buy rechargeable alkalines since I already have all I need(cept more batteries) for NiMH :)
Just wanted to know :)