PDA

View Full Version : xd memory cards

frosty
09-06-2005, 12:11 PM
hey,
i recentley purchased a digital camera which uses xd cards and ive heard u cant format them on computer, is that true? and if u do is there a way of reversing it?
thanks for any help

Chucko
09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
Many of the N-in-1 type USB card readers will be able to format the xD card from the computer. I prefer to reformat in the camera myself.

If you reformat by accident, some disk recovery software may be able to recover the image files. But once you start writing more images, your chances of recovering the old ones rapidly go downhill.

David Metsky
09-07-2005, 07:19 AM
hey,
i recentley purchased a digital camera which uses xd cards and ive heard u cant format them on computer, is that true? and if u do is there a way of reversing it?
thanks for any help
In general it is better to do all file deletes and reformatting in the camera, not from the computer. There are several different file formats that can be set up on a card, and your camera only understands one kind. If you use the computer you run the risk of formatting it the wrong way, and your camera may not recognize the card anymore.

It can be done correctly from the computer, but you can also mess things up pretty badly. Stick with formatting in the camera and avoid the hassle.

-dave-

frosty
09-07-2005, 09:13 AM
i have already formatted on the compputer (oops) do you know of any programmes that could correct the file format?
cheers

Chucko
09-07-2005, 09:38 AM
No problem. Just put it in the camera and reformat there.

frosty
09-07-2005, 11:02 AM
no sorry i've tried that and it didnt have any affect!