PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a critique forum?

Jeff Keller
08-26-2005, 12:33 AM
Do you want a forum where you can post a photo and receive constructive criticism from fellow DCRP forum readers?

D Thompson
08-26-2005, 12:36 AM
I would like it.

Thanks Jeff for considering it.

Dennis

val123
08-26-2005, 12:52 AM
I think its a great idea, and would certainly contribute.

Thanks Jeff

x3ro
08-26-2005, 07:31 AM
Definitely a good idea, Jeff.

Tyger
08-26-2005, 07:39 AM
I don't see why not, as long as those looking for critiques take the criticsm to heart and not get defenssive, and those giving critiques do it constructivly.

I think it's a good way to improve our skills.

jasm
08-26-2005, 01:46 PM
This is a great idea this is something if used with honesty looking for advice and not getting upset about it,Iwould love opinions even general about images in my gallery like for instance not attempting shots that the compact camera is not up to like I think I do.

jasm
http://www.pbase.com/jascm/start

eastbluffs
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
You bet. Its sure to add some razmataz. Critique on the Photo gallery forums are too filled with "walking on thin ice". I'd like the straight dope on how to do better, and I'm sure the members here would love to offer it.

Phill D
08-26-2005, 04:10 PM
Thanks Jeff for setting up this poll - good way to sort this out. If the answer is yes count me in.

Warin
08-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I don't see why not, as long as those looking for critiques take the criticsm to heart and not get defenssive, and those giving critiques do it constructivly.

I think it's a good way to improve our skills.

I think a disclaimer sticky at the top with:

You put your photos here to be critiqued. If you are not comfortable accept constructive, but possibly frank criticism, then do not post here. The regular gallery forum is an excellent place to showcase your work.

And it should be a fairly well moderated forum, keeping both unhelpful negative advice and rants by people who dont like critique at a minimum. Perhaps Jeff can find a couple people who have good judgement and would be willing to moderate it? this can help keep the workload off of Jeff, so he can keep doing his excellent reviews.

TheObiJuan
08-28-2005, 02:33 PM
This would be great Jeff. :D

Rex914
08-30-2005, 01:05 AM
I'd say yes. :)

Glenn Kennedy
08-30-2005, 01:28 PM
I think that it's a good idea, too. As has been said before - if you're easily offended, don't post. Most of us take a few/some/many cr@p photos. It does no harm to get some criticism every now & again !

gabo234
09-01-2005, 06:24 PM
I think that would be an awesome idea... I know I need it.

Terri
09-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I've brand new here and think I could learn a lot from a critique forum.

Would like to see settings included when photos are posted as well as the camera used for the photo.

gary_hendricks
09-26-2005, 06:00 PM
Thanks Jeff for the suggestion. Yes I would definitely contribute to a critique forum. :)

Rhys
09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Why not a competition forum too?

ale_g
10-05-2005, 12:04 PM
It will be a great learning experience.

B. Regards
ale_g

barnesquared
10-05-2005, 06:36 PM
id like that as well. :)

how come we dont have a buy/sell forum as well? im assuming youre trying to avoid any liability?

itd be nice to buy from fellow dcresource forum users, its a smaller community, more people seem to know each other.

ReF
11-29-2005, 08:22 PM
another vote here for the critique forum.

i also think camera setting info should be included for most shots.

ktixx
11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Same Here,
I think a critique forum would be great, I also like the idea of a competition forum.
Ken

Phill D
11-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Jeff any movement on this? Can we expect to see something set up in the future?

valleykayaker
12-22-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes, I think it would be good to have one. I also like the idea of including what your camera exposure was and lens used. In the case of fixed lens if you used any macro attachments or tele/wide angle converters. One other thing, I emailed Jeff yesterday and suggested if there could be a way to search the members by where they live. I think it would be a good idea to have something like that so that maybe someone who has the same interests, camera, etc. could maybe get together with another member if they happen to live in the same area or are going to be in a certain area.

insertnamehere
01-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes. Short answer - the problem with the gallery is that it isn't clear whether a poster wants constructive feedback, or just to show other people. To criticise in the gallery is venturing out onto thin ice.

sherlock
01-06-2006, 03:24 PM
Yes. Short answer - the problem with the gallery is that it isn't clear whether a poster wants constructive feedback, or just to show other people. To criticise in the gallery is venturing out onto thin ice.

I agree. A critique forum would be a good way of letting people know you want constructive criticism and giving it wouldn't be a problem. So Jeff, it seems like a lot of people want a critique forum, is it going to happen?

GabOrcinus
02-12-2006, 01:05 PM
What's the status on this? I'd really like to see a forum dedicated solely to critiques, as opposed to the Photo Gallery which is sort of a showcase.

Hope this is still in the works. :)

Vich
06-16-2006, 04:32 PM
Would be a nice place for the Monthly Assignment as well. Nooooot that many are noticing that one... :(

DonSchap
06-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Obviously, we are all at different levels of expertise and with that comes a graduated scale of... well, call it "appreciation", for lack of a better term.

The guy with a EOS 1Ds Mk II and a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM should be able to kick out some pretty nifty shots.

Another guy with a Canon S2 might have a little trouble acheiving the same level of "technique".

With that said, I believe it is crucial to the success of such a forum to carefully categorize what equipment is being used... just to know the limits that it can perform at. As we are all aware, a photographer can acheive vastly different results with similar, yet marginally different equipment. It's all a trick of the light...

My 2 wheat pennies for what it is worth. :rolleyes:

Vich
06-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Obviously, we are all at different levels of expertise and with that comes a graduated scale of... well, call it "appreciation", for lack of a better term.

The guy with a EOS 1Ds Mk II and a EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM should be able to kick out some pretty nifty shots.

Another guy with a Canon S2 might have a little trouble acheiving the same level of "technique".

With that said, I believe it is crucial to the success of such a forum to carefully categorize what equipment is being used... just to know the limits that it can perform at. As we are all aware, a photographer can acheive vastly different results with similar, yet mmarginally different equipment. It's all a trick of the light...

My 2 wheat pennies for what it is worth. :rolleyes:Good point.

Frankly; a site that intermingles P&S with DSLR is bound to have trouble with such a forum.

I don't think CWPHOTO or JAMISON with their years of professional experience, or even some of the advanced ametuers are much interested in having Joe-A620 "critique" their work.

Also; repeating much advice to Joe-A620 might grow old since they can't just say "try bouncing your flash more, decreasing your FEV, and maybe a slave would have done wonders on this shot - and by the way crank up your ISO ...". No, more like "gee, hate to say this but short of insisting on the wedding being held in natural lighting on a well lit day, you just can't hope to pull this off with your S3".

I think that's what's happened with the "Monthly Assignment" thread, unfortunately. We got a few takers, but without that separation of DSLR and P&S, it'll just fizzle. That's OK, there's plenty of sites offering critique forums and competition. Meanwhile, we'll just chit chat and offer up some simple advice for newcomers. Oh, and post some great shots in the Photo Sharing section.

So I'm changing my vote. Don't need a critique section. Just title your photos (or maybe thread) "critique please". (IE: It's OK, I give). :(

(I know, it's Friday, got a new lens. Cheer up.) It's not a bad thing, just coming to realize it's a barrier to getting some to invite open critisism.

toriaj
06-16-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a slightly different take. You can tell just by looking at the picture how skilled the photographer is. So you tailor your critique to the photographer's skill. There may be some newer photographers who post something that the skilled photographers may think is really no good. But they can still find something good to say about it, and make a suggestion on the composition, focus, or something. Whereas a skilled photographer's shot, they may go into more detailed critique, talking about metering and bounce flash, etc.

I really doubt that many skilled photographers would be offended by Joe-A620's comments. They are probably just going to be, "Wow, great shot" anyway.

Bottom line, I like the idea of a critique forum, but I think the suggestion of asking for critique in the title is okay too.

Vich
06-17-2006, 10:59 PM
I have a slightly different take. You can tell just by looking at the picture how skilled the photographer is. So you tailor your critique to the photographer's skill. There may be some newer photographers who post something that the skilled photographers may think is really no good. But they can still find something good to say about it, and make a suggestion on the composition, focus, or something. Whereas a skilled photographer's shot, they may go into more detailed critique, talking about metering and bounce flash, etc.

I really doubt that many skilled photographers would be offended by Joe-A620's comments. They are probably just going to be, "Wow, great shot" anyway.

Bottom line, I like the idea of a critique forum, but I think the suggestion of asking for critique in the title is okay too.
It's the 10 month wait that's got me down on this. So, I'm just "letting go".

Yes, although I'm no pro, I have found many constructive things to say to improve a newbee's photo. Even some of our harshest members usually are sensitive to a newbee's needs in this matter.

On further analysis I'd agree with you in that regard.

As for an advanced photorapher wanting critique here, I'd think its probably more a problem getting input from some "peer" who thinks they're advanced enough to advise but really don't know much - rather than a novice saying "nice photo". But then, those people can just stay clear of this forum.

I'd really like to hear from all on my photos.

Funny, I was just sitting here looking at a Van Gogh (print of course) we have framed. It breaks so many composition "rules" and commenting to my wife "you know, if that were a photo of mine and I posted it, I'll bet I'd get comment after comment about how the sailboats are going away from the negative space ... but I can see how it's all pulled together too.

Somehow; I think the general concensis would indeed be valid, and the screwball ones would be corrected quickly enough.

Thanks for correcting my dismay! :o

D Thompson
06-19-2006, 06:49 AM
It's the 10 month wait that's got me down on this. So, I'm just "letting go".

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11004

Me too. :(

yarga
06-19-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm only 16 and getting into photography, a critique forum would be so helpfull, many people would learn a lot. I vote YES!;)

Blob
06-23-2006, 09:10 PM
Great idea, I vote "yes".

Phill D
06-25-2006, 01:26 AM
Looks like this thread is picking up a few more takers - Jeff any thoughts on when/if this will happen.

EdBoy
06-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Great idea......would be good to get educated criticism rather than uneducated praise!

Esoterra
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
I vote yes

XaiLo
09-01-2006, 06:15 AM
As a newb I vote yes, because:

1) The less bad habits you start out with the better.

2) It will intrinsically create a knowledge base.

3) It will help provide more informed users.

4) The insight into principles could be invaluable.

5) Different techniques could be readily understood.

ale_g
09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Hi guys.
Any news on this forum?:)

Vich
09-02-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi guys.
Any news on this forum?:)
My little 4 1/2 year old sweetie-pie girly has started a funny saying (so cute when those little ones do it) "Not on your life, sport!". Somehow that comes to mind. Maybe Jeff knows something.

On dgrin.com they have "The whipping post" forum. I tired it twice and really got creamed. Looking at other posters, same thing happened, their photos were criticized to death. Often the criticisms were true, but very little positive comment, and insincere at best.

However; on POTN's critique forum, I've never gotten anything but great advice. So it could go either way.

I've noticed Jeff's a very "Positive guy". I think if he were a manager, and he got regular performance statistics, he would use them for establishing rewards rather than reprimands. Know what I mean?

ale_g
10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
:)
B. Regards

AllanC
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
i would definately like to see a critique thread added to an already valuable site. whenever i post in the photo thread it is to recieve C & C from other members as i am aware that my photographs and photography need improving. i was actually quite surprised to read in this thread that people were hesitant in giving C & C. i thought this was the whole point, to learn from others. i often use the galery as a means to some insparation.

i vote yes..