PDA

View Full Version : memory card compatability

hairdude
08-17-2005, 10:45 AM
I've been reviewing the Canon SD-500 digital camera which uses
an SD memory card. I was reading a review from a consumer who owns this camera and they said they were able to use a MMC memory card , ( which is MUCH cheaper), and that it works just fine. Does anyone know if this is good info? Since my decision to buy the SD 500 is somewhat contingient on the cost of a memeory card I'd like some accurate information as to weather I should be concered about compatability issues using the MMC card instead of the SD card. Would there be some MMC cards that might work where others might not?
Thanks for your replies, Hairdude

fnoel
09-05-2005, 09:41 AM
I am not an expert by any means and haven't seen any responses to your question. I haven't been here in a while but I will give the best advice that I can. I have been told the best thing to do is call the manufacturer . In your case canon. Ask them about the effectiveness of mmc over sd. I have a Panasonic and yet even though both cards work they do recomend using sd. I see that mmc is cheaper but is it worth losing pictures or something if it is not recomended. But the final decision is yours. I just went with the few extra dollars and got the sd. Good luck.

propwash
09-05-2005, 10:50 AM
The SD cards and MMC cards are physically the same size, and most devices that use one will also use the other. I have seen some cases, however, where the manual says that the divice will use SD but it is not compatable with MMC. That being said, in most cases SD cards will be much faster than MMC. Also, most (but not all) SD cards have an erase-protect tab that you can slide to prevent accidental erasure of your data. For this reason, I use SD cards. Depending on your usage, you may not see much of a difference, but if you do a lot o shooting in burst mode, you will notice that SD cards are much faster.

Balrog
09-05-2005, 12:32 PM
On the spec page (http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraDetail.php?cam=697) for the SD500 on this website the entry for "Storage Method" says SD/MMC, so I think you shouldn't have any problems.