PDA

View Full Version : Critique forum?

D Thompson
08-07-2005, 10:34 AM
A short while ago there was some interest in starting a gallery where members could post their work. I understand the problems with trying to make that happen and Jeff, I know this site keeps you busy enough as it is. Your work is much appreciated. Something that might be a little simpler would be to add a "Critique" forum. Perhaps several members would volunteer their comments, either thru the forum or thru pm if desired. I, for one, would welcome comments/critiques on my shots be they bad or good. I would also try to critique. Any thoughts or ideals? Thanks.

Dennis

Rex914
08-07-2005, 10:55 AM
Not to rain down on your suggestion, but what's the difference between this and what we have now? I thought the Photo Gallery was the place to get some critiques and praise for our photos.

D Thompson
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Not to rain down on your suggestion, but what's the difference between this and what we have now? I thought the Photo Gallery was the place to get some critiques and praise for our photos.
All in all probably not too much difference. This would be a little more critical as far as technical, composition, etc. To me it seems most of the comments in the gallery run along - nice shot, good capture, thanks for sharing....... I know that Phistio constructive criticism (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9553) was wanting some hard critiques as I have. I'd like to be able to improve my photography. I would say that most who post to the current gallery do so to share, which that is what I've done on most. There are some that I would've liked a hard look at by someone that is more "pro" than me for suggestions. Just a thought.

Dennis

TheObiJuan
08-07-2005, 06:15 PM
It would be nice, but I feel one could not be honest on this forum, as most of the photos I see here, including some of mine (;)) could use some critique other than 'Good job', 'Wow', 'Nice work' and people would get hot and bothered, or hurt.

A critique forum would be just for that, fixing your work by other user's commentary. This would allow many new photogs to improve there own photos.
I know I have seriously benifited because of internet C&C. Just today I was deleting old files and saw some pics from a few months back, the difference was staggering. The photo gallery is for sharing your snapshots, as that's what I mostly see.

I know that I would not have the know how or skill to do this 6 months ago, not to mention the equipment. :p

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/3588/img7677small2db.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Handheld with the 135L. Getting the exposure was tuff, as the histogram was practically worthless, metering was crucial on this shot. Flash was not allowed, so this compounded the issue.

D Thompson
08-07-2005, 08:00 PM
It would be nice, but I feel one could not be honest on this forum, as most of the photos I see here, including some of mine (;)) could use some critique other than 'Good job', 'Wow', 'Nice work' and people would get hot and bothered, or hurt.

A critique forum would be just for that, fixing your work by other user's commentary. This would allow many new photogs to improve there own photos.
I know I have seriously benifited because of internet C&C. Just today I was deleting old files and saw some pics from a few months back, the difference was staggering. The photo gallery is for sharing your snapshots, as that's what I mostly see.

Obi - that's why I thought a separate forum for this purpose. A place where you could get hard critiques and not get po'd.

It looks like you may also share a hobby that my son enjoys, or I assume your shot is a miniature. (which, btw, is very cool) He pretty much just paints them as a relief from his day job and has done well at some Gamesday events. This is one I took shortly after I got my 20D and was still learning the digital realm.

Dennis

TheObiJuan
08-07-2005, 08:17 PM
[QUOTE=TheObiJuan]It would be nice, but I feel one could not be honest on this forum, as most of the photos I see here, including some of mine (;)) could use some critique other than 'Good job', 'Wow', 'Nice work' and people would get hot and bothered, or hurt.

I know I have seriously benifited because of internet C&C. Just today I was deleting old files and saw some pics from a few months back, the difference was staggering. The photo gallery is for sharing your snapshots, as that's what I mostly see. [QUOTE]

Obi - that's why I thought a separate forum for this purpose. A place where you could get hard critiques and not get po'd.

It looks like you may also share a hobby that my son enjoys, or I assume your shot is a miniature. (which, btw, is very cool) He pretty much just paints them as a relief from his day job and has done well at some Gamesday events. This is one I took shortly after I got my 20D and was still learning the digital realm.

Dennis

HAHAH, LOL
It was shot with the 135L from 25ft away. I was in the front row (VIP :p)
It is the Predator from the first and second movies. The promotor flew him in from Germany. The promoter of the event hired me to shoot it for advertisement and future promo work.

D Thompson
08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
HAHAH, LOL
It was shot with the 135L from 25ft away. I was in the front row (VIP :p)
It is the Predator from the first and second movies. The promotor flew him in from Germany. The promoter of the event hired me to shoot it for advertisement and future promo work.
Couldn't tell the size. Guess will wait to see about the critique forum.

Dennis

Warin
08-08-2005, 01:13 PM
Funny, I was thinking about suggesting this after a discussion elsewhere about forums with critique, etc.

The problem that I have seen here is that not everyone wants critique on their work. In one thread, I remember someone being positively offended that some very positive critique was offered (I wont name names :D).

Having a seperate category entiled "Positive Critique and Comment" would give those of us looking for more that just "wow, great shot!" a place to share. At Nikonians, posting a photo also implicitly allows other members to adjust, crop, twaek, etc the photo in question.

What do you think Jeff? I think its a great idea, and would encourage some technique discussions, instead of just technical ones.

StanleyL
08-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Having a seperate category entiled "Positive Critique and Comment" would give those of us looking for more that just "wow, great shot!" a place to share. Or possibly "Constructive Photo Critique Forum", since "Positive" implies "complements only please".

Phill D
08-08-2005, 02:12 PM
If this is accepted then count me in. My photography has improved a lot since I found this site but I still get too many "nearly Ok" shots where I don't know what would improve them. So far I have tended to only post my best attempts or oddities for interest on the picture gallery. I think a forum for constructive comments would be very welcome.

Warin
08-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Or possibly "Constructive Photo Critique Forum", since "Positive" implies "complements only please".

You're right. Constructive is better than positive. Just a nice distinction from Gallery, so no one gets bent out of shape when someone says less than complementary.

D Thompson
08-08-2005, 07:52 PM
The problem that I have seen here is that not everyone wants critique on their work. In one thread, I remember someone being positively offended that some very positive critique was offered (I wont name names :D).
Maybe a sticky could be put on to warn about the critiques. The current photo gallery would still be used by most. Hopefully, we could all be big enough to realize that we might get a comment we didn't like and not try to "get even". Just a place where we as members could help each other.

Or possibly "Constructive Photo Critique Forum", since "Positive" implies "complements only please".
Nice - I like it.

Dennis

Phill D
08-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Looks like comments have dried up a bit, hope not as I still think this is such a good idea. :confused:

Warin
08-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Maybe Jeff could comment on the feasability of this? It would be nice to get the feedback from the board admin. Yoohoo! Mr. Keller! Where are you??

val123
08-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Hi

I have only just found this thread - I am all for it. If it helps me take better pictures I am happy to take the critisim.

You can count me in if this goes ahead. :)

eastbluffs
08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
I'd post there. In fact, I'd find an entire learning/mentor section attractive. Its what the internet is really best at.

Some other forums have gotten too spread out so I can see Jeff's reluctance, so maybe a simple addition of this one forum would be a good starting place.

D Thompson
08-18-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm glad there still seems to be some interest in this. Keeping my fingers crossed anyway :)

Dennis

Balrog
08-18-2005, 08:54 PM
I think it's a great idea! it'd be a great place to get some tips on how to improve your technique.

Phill D
08-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Jeff can you comment please i.e. are you are considering this or not?

Jeff Keller
08-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Jeff can you comment please i.e. are you are considering this or not?

I honestly don't have an opinion. If people want it, I'll do it. I've created a new thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11611) complete with a poll, so all future comments about this subject should go there. I'm closing this thread.