PDA

View Full Version : Transcend???

igsz
07-31-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi there,
I was wondering if any of you guys out there have heard from Transcend memory cards? :confused:
I have never heard of them before and want to make sure before I buy I do not end up with something that will not work well in my new S2 IS. :eek:
Thinking of the sd 1gb 80x.
Looking forward to hear!
THANKS! :)
Igsz

Kenyada
07-31-2005, 05:07 AM
Hi there,
I was wondering if any of you guys out there have heard from Transcend memory cards? :confused:
I have never heard of them before and want to make sure before I buy I do not end up with something that will not work well in my new S2 IS. :eek:
Thinking of the sd 1gb 80x.
Looking forward to hear!
THANKS! :)
Igsz

Transcend is a 17-year old Taiwanese company that began selling online in 2000. Apparently a reeputable Japanese camera magazine tested the Transcend product among 20 brands of memory card, and found Transcend to be best. The following is from the Transcend website:

“ASAHI Camera” is one of Japan’s leading Photography publications. Recently the magazine reviewed Nikon’s D50 Digital SLR camera and the top SD™ Memory Card brands to determine which card produced the best performance. Transcend Information Inc. is proud to announce the results of those tests revealed Transcend’s 1GB 80X SD™ Card to possess the overall fastest Write and Buffer transfer speeds of all the cards reviewed.

The review focused on the Nikon D50 Digital SLR camera and involved testing 20 branded SD™ Memory Cards from some of the best-known manufacturers. The tests involved measuring the card’s Write speeds and Buffer transfer speeds. Both of these specifications are essential to the performance of a memory card and will affect the quality and speed with which you can take digital photographs. “ASAHI Camera” is a highly respected magazine, which conducts its reviews under the strictest conditions; it is therefore a great honor for Transcend to be chosen as the overall fastest card, based on the magazines testing criteria. Transcend’s 80X SD™ Card outperformed high speed cards from Toshiba, SanDisk and Lexar amongst others.

Transcend’s high performance 80X SD™ Memory Cards (128MB~1GB) are ideal for use in high-resolution digital cameras, but can also be used in PDAs, MP3 Players, PMPs and Notebook computers that feature an SD™ card slot. Extremely fast data transfer speeds give the 80X SD™ Card faster performance levels over normal SD™ Cards. Transcend thoroughly tests the latest digital cameras and devices, which incorporate an SD™ card slot, to ensure that our 80X SD™ Cards have the best compatibility and durability. Transcend’s 80X SD™ Memory Cards are guaranteed to give you a super fast hassle-free data storage and transfer experience.

It sounds like Transcend is at least worthy of consideration.

m3incorp
07-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Wow! that is what I call a detailed answer...Transcend has been tested along with other name brand cards and they are to be respected also, especially the write speed to a card reader. Everyone checks the specs on in-camera write speeds, but those that don't have a camera that takes advantage of the fast speeds should still consider as a good card reader does take advantage of it. Transcend does exceed in that aspect. You can find the actual tested write speeds at the site I listed in my subject.

igsz
07-31-2005, 12:40 PM
Wauw, thanks for this! Sounds like a real good one to consider. :)
Is there anybody who is using the Transcend memory card in their Canon S2 IS? :confused:
Love to hear if all is performing as it should. Understood the S2 is not too fond of the Kingston cards for example :eek: , so better check ...
Thanks for your help!
Igsz :cool:

Blackx
08-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I am using Transcend 80x 1 GB in Canon S2 and it works perfectly.

Because this thread is about Transcend cards, I will also include another strange experience with different camera: I tried Transcend 60x 512 MB with Minolta G400. It behaved very randomly - often, I was able to shot 100 great pictures, but sometimes (say, once per week) the photograph was corrupted and partially unreadable. It was pretty difficult to find out what is wrong, because it worked correctly more often then not.
The problem was obviously in the SD card. With Kingston 40x 512 MB the Minolta G400 worked flawlessly.

Clyde
08-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Wow! that is what I call a detailed answer...Transcend has been tested along with other name brand cards and they are to be respected also, especially the write speed to a card reader. Everyone checks the specs on in-camera write speeds, but those that don't have a camera that takes advantage of the fast speeds should still consider as a good card reader does take advantage of it. Transcend does exceed in that aspect. You can find the actual tested write speeds at the site I listed in my subject.

That site is here (http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7699), though this is for transcend's compact flash. They sound like reasonably fast cards.

Clyde