PDA

View Full Version : 256mb SD card limit?

hubris
09-17-2004, 01:15 PM
I've just purchased a Benq DCC40 digital camera and need to purchase some external memory. The Specifications page in the manual says:

SD Card compatible (8~256MB).

I was hoping to purchase a 1024MB sd card, but the manual suggests that 256MB is the most the camera can handle. Can digital cameras cope with any size of sd card, or is there a limit?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

judge9847
09-17-2004, 01:50 PM
I've just purchased a Benq DCC40 digital camera and need to purchase some external memory. The Specifications page in the manual says:

I was hoping to purchase a 1024MB sd card, but the manual suggests that 256MB is the most the camera can handle. Can digital cameras cope with any size of sd card, or is there a limit?

Thanks.
It's up to you but I've just narrowly (very narrowly!) avoided the loss of some 250 images on a 256MB SD card. Cost me about $35 (24, 35) for some software to recover them because SanDisk's own and Norton's Disk Doctor simply caused the PC to crash every single time I went to use them to "look" at the card. I reckon I was very lucky and so there's no way I will ever risk a large number of images on a larger sized memory card again. For me from now on, it's 128MB max all the way!!

And never mind the techy problems I had: just imagine filling a 1GB card and then losing it ... ye gods, bad enough with a 128 but that would be almost acceptable alongside the loss of a biggy ...

Just my take on the issue from a very recent, expensive and extended (in terms of time) experience.

D70FAN
09-17-2004, 04:00 PM

Thanks.

Seems like an ok camera for $150 (or so). Looks like 256MB is a hard limit due to camera addressing capability. Probably a real low-cost processor with limited addressing space. 256MB should be plenty for a 4MP image (about 120 pictures even at best quality setting).

Even with my D70 I prefer to use 256MB memory cards to insure minimal loss impact if a card fails or gets damaged. I do have one 512MB card for shooting RAW (about 6MB per image), but for normal shooting 256 is sufficient, as it should be on your Benq DC C40.

hubris
09-17-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks for that guys. Data loss isn't something I considered before, so I've just purchased two 256mb sd cards.

Thanks again for your help.