PDA

View Full Version : URGENT Help Required

sidoz
07-20-2005, 03:18 AM
Hi Guys, I recently bought a San disk 1 GB SD card and it was working ok and showing 1 GB capacity ..but i inadvertently formatted the same while it was in my MP4 player ( incidentallly after this i figured out that the mp4 player can only have 512 in-built memory , though the SD slot can have a 1 GB card)... Once i formatted the same through this MP 4 player, pooooof ! the card size reduced to 512 MB !!!! can you belive it .. it just formatted 512 MB and my capcpity has been reduced by Half !! ...

I saw an FAQ on san disk side which suggested to run Fdisk .. .but i dont know hwo to do tyhat under windows .. i am using XP . So please guys can you help me recover the lost space and make my 1 GB card 1 GB again.. it cost quite a packet !

Look forward to your help please.

David Metsky
07-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Have you tried reformatting the card in your camera?

-dave-

sidoz
07-20-2005, 07:44 PM
Yes David, I have !! Same result .. i have tried many things .. including formatting it is my PC thru a card reader ( incidentally it formats an dthen says "windows cannot format " at the end) .. also formatting through my Pocket PC but to no avail ... please help me

Kenyada
07-21-2005, 08:40 AM
Have you tried to use the "scan disk" or "defragment" functions of Windows to recapture the lost sectors?

sidoz
07-21-2005, 08:19 PM
Hi Kenyada, yes I have tried that oen as well !! it juts scans for 512 MB of memory for the lost sectors and reports there are none !!! As i said one of the options on the san disk site asks one to do "fdisk" on the card .. the point is I dont knwohow to do "fdisk" on the card .. windows does not recognize this and i trie dgoing through the "disk managment " function of windows !!

Kenyada
07-22-2005, 04:57 AM
Hi Sidoz. I've looked online and can't seem to find the definitive solution to your problem. (I still think that there must be a way) There are thousands of Googled websites and comments, but of those I checked... nothing. I think it must have something to do with removing the existing 512MB partition and reconfiguring it. The question is, at what point do you take a chance of ruining the entire disk? Choose wisely :confused:

sidoz
08-08-2005, 09:11 PM
Hi Kenayada,

I tried now fdsik as well under win 98.. but there also it shows 512 MB !! I am not worried abt losing data cause it has none ! I am now owndering whether I have been duped and it was really a 512 MB card .. but the point is.. why did it show me the 1 GB when i checked it initially before formatting .. Any suggestions

soasystem
08-16-2005, 10:46 PM
can u try your or others digital camera or devices that can support 1gb and format using that device?

lunaris
09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Here is a link to the SanDisk FAQ for SD Cards that deals with your problem: San Disk Self Help (https://www.customernation.com/pls/ps/ps_faqdb.view_faq?p_host=304&p_retailer=&p_supplier=5096&p_subcat=&p_subcategory=2344&p_product=14389&p_citizen=&p_reg_id=&p_faq_id=1256&p_start=1&p_end=30&p_current=&p_crm_log=&p_agent_id=&p_sn_subcategory=&p_sn_product_group=&p_sn_product=&p_faq_category=&p_faq_subcategory=&p_sup_faq_id=&p_word1=&p_word2=&p_word3=&p_word4=&p_word5=&p_word6=&p_word7=&p_word8=&p_word9=&p_word10=&p_word_count=&p_include=&p_parm=PSHFAQ&p_supergroup=)

Nick
09-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, not to be too pessimistic ( I'm a DIY guy myself...) , but instead of going through so much trouble and spending so much time on it, why not sent it to SanDisk and have them do something about it instead? Unless I'm misinformed, all their CF cards come with a life-time warranty. SD is probably the same. :)

Rhys
09-07-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi Guys, I recently bought a San disk 1 GB SD card and it was working ok and showing 1 GB capacity ..but i inadvertently formatted the same while it was in my MP4 player ( incidentallly after this i figured out that the mp4 player can only have 512 in-built memory , though the SD slot can have a 1 GB card)... Once i formatted the same through this MP 4 player, pooooof ! the card size reduced to 512 MB !!!! can you belive it .. it just formatted 512 MB and my capcpity has been reduced by Half !! ...

I saw an FAQ on san disk side which suggested to run Fdisk .. .but i dont know hwo to do tyhat under windows .. i am using XP . So please guys can you help me recover the lost space and make my 1 GB card 1 GB again.. it cost quite a packet !

Look forward to your help please.

I think you'll find that it has been formatted to FAT 8. FAT 8 tops out at 512MB. FAT 16 tops out at either 2 of 4 GB. FAT 32 tops out at about 40GB.

FDisk is simple enough to use. Drop down into DOS, type fdisk and follow the menus. FDISK is menu-driven.

FBergeron
04-01-2006, 05:17 AM
It's probably too late but it may be of help to someone else...

I had the same problem with a SanDisk SD Card Ultra II. Using fdisk didn't help. However, cfdisk did it! So, here is what I did. (Please note that the device is most probably different on your environment) :

cfdisk /dev/sdb

In the graphical text interface, I did the following operations :

Delete partition
Create a new primary partition (as large as possible)
Set the partition type to FAT16 (06 is the number to enter)
Write the partition table
Quit

After that, I created the file system with :

mkfs.dos /dev/sdb1

That's it. It worked for me. :) I hope it will do the same for you.

josh81_5
04-11-2006, 07:37 PM
Alright I'm having this same problem with my 2GB card (formatted at 990MB). I was wondering how I open cfdisk so that I can follow these steps. I tried using sandisks selfhelp but that was of little help. Thanks