PDA

View Full Version : SD cards: Standard vs. Fast, Faster, etc

jtoverman
07-18-2005, 03:47 PM
I was surprised I didn't see this discussed in this forum yet. I'm wondering if an SD card sold as "Extreme", "Professional", "60x", etc will make a difference in a small camera. I have the SD400, though it's not out of the box yet, as I haven't decided whether to keep it. While I'm looking through the forums for info about cameras, I wanted your opinion on whether various speeds of cards will give me faster response when taking pictures. I'm more concerned about that than I am about speed when loading to my PC. The faster I can take the next shot, the better chance I have of actually getting the picture I want.

MatH
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
I don't know about your camera, but I have Canon PowerShot A510 and higher speed cards have no effect on shot-to-shot time or video capabilities of the camera. In this case the bottleneck is camera buffer.
Image transfer speed also isn't afected by the card speed since PowerShot A510 supports only USB 1.1
The only difference is a tad faster image viewing on lcd.
Hope this answer helps a bit.

David Metsky
07-20-2005, 07:29 AM
I have the SD300, and the Sandisk regular card is all that it needs. It can function in all modes at maximum speed. Since hte SD400 has the same video modes, that shouldn't be any problems, but it's possible that full size images in burst mode could use the higher speed cards.

-dave-

CameraNewbie
07-25-2005, 05:39 PM
i have sd200 and would like to know the same. becuz i found a deal for pny 1gig, 10mb sec - $75cdn! like $50 usd.