Next up is Canon's big zoom camera, the PowerShot SX50 HS. And when I say big, I'm not kidding: the SX50 packs an unbelievable (in more ways than one) 50X zoom lens! I wonder if Canon will be including a coupon for a free tripod?
PowerShot SX50 HS [specs]
- 12.1 Megapixel, 1/2.3" CMOS sensor (same as on its predecessor, the SX40 HS)
- DIGIC 5 image processor
- F3.4-6.5, 50X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 24 - 1200 mm (!!)
- Zoom Frame Assist feature lets you "back out" when you're near the telephoto end of the lens so you can figure out where your subject went; new "lock" feature uses the image stabilizer to try to keep your subject in the center of the frame
- Optical image stabilization (and you're gonna need it)
- Autofocus speeds are twice as fast as on the SX40, with similar reductions in shutter lag
- Flip-out, rotating 2.8" LCD display with 461,000 pixels
- Electronic viewfinder with 202,000 pixels
- Full manual controls, now with RAW support
- Smart Auto chooses one of 58 scene modes for you
- Hot shoe for external flash
- Records Full HD video at 1080/24p with stereo sound, use of optical zoom
- SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- Uses same NB-10L li-ion battery as the SX40, 315 shots per charge
- Ships in October for $479
EXCEPTIONAL OPTICS AND WI-FI CONNECTIVITY HELP PHOTOGRAPHERS GET CREATIVE WITH THREE NEW POWERSHOT MODELS FROM CANON U.S.A.
New Lineup Includes the PowerShot G15 With Bright f/1.8-f.2.8 5x Optical Zoom Lens,
the Wi-Fi Enabled PowerShot S110 to Stay Connected With Great Image Quality, and the Powerful PowerShot SX50 HS, the World’s First 50x Optical Zoom Digital Camera
LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., September 17, 2012 - Designed for photographers of all levels, Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announces the addition of three feature-packed digital cameras – the PowerShot G15, PowerShot S110, and PowerShot SX50 HS digital cameras – providing advanced features, greater focusing speed and multiple-shot speed in sophisticated, compact camera bodies. All three models include advancements in auto focus (AF) technology for high-speed responsive AF systems that capture the moment as it happens, with significantly reduced lag time.
Both the PowerShot G15 and PowerShot S110 models include a newly designed 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor for exceptional light gathering and image quality. In addition to improvements to focusing speed and shooting speeds over their predecessors, each camera offers unique high-end features, such as an f/1.8-2.8 5x optical zoom lens on the PowerShot G15. The PowerShot S110 includes Wi-Fi connectivity for the ultimate in image quality and on-the-spot sharing, while the PowerShot SX50 HS boasts the world’s first 50x optical zoom in a digital camera to date.
“Art is the by-product of creativity and inspiration. With the introduction of the advanced features in these three new PowerShot models, our customers will have the right tools to put their creativity into action and produce images that they will share for a lifetime,” said Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Imaging Technologies and Communications Group, Canon U.S.A.
PowerShot G15 Digital Camera
The powerful new PowerShot G15 builds upon the success of the G-series providing some of the most advanced features in Canon’s PowerShot lineup. The PowerShot G15 continues this tradition with a new 28mm wide-angle f/1.8 – f/2.8 lens with 5x optical zoom, great for low-light shooting or dramatic shallow depth of field. The PowerShot G15 includes Canon’s HS SYSTEM where the camera’s DIGIC 5 image processor and newly designed Canon 1/1.7-inch 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor work in tandem to enhance low-light image quality at a maximum ISO speed of 12800. Enabling creative video capture, the PowerShot G15 shoots 1080p Full HD video with a built-in stereo microphone for great sound and zooming is enabled for optimal framing while recording.
The PowerShot G15 also features advancements in Canon’s AF system with improved AF times and reduced lag over previous G-series models. These AF improvements also enhance the High-Speed Burst HQ mode allowing for continuous capture of up to 10 frames at 12.1-megapixels. While shooting still images or recording video the camera also utilizes Canon’s Intelligent IS to stabilize the image and provide crisp photos and steady video.
The PowerShot G15 retains an accessory shoe for Speedlites and an optical viewfinder as an option to the bright 3.0-inch 922,000-dot LCD display. For even more creative options, the PowerShot G15 can accommodate additional optional accessories such as the Tele Converter Lens, a Conversion Lens Adapter to allow the attachment of a Macro Ring Lite or Macro Twin Lite to the camera, and a threaded Filter Adapter for 58mm lens filters. For the wet and wild underwater adventurer the new PowerShot G15 also has an optional WP-DC48 Waterproof Case, capable of diving to depths of up to 130 feet.
PowerShot S110 Digital Camera
Style, performance and wireless connectivity fit into your pocket with the new PowerShot S110 digital camera. Built-in Wi-Fi features allow the camera to share images and video to social networking sites through the Canon iMAGE GATEWAY or to Wi-Fi enabled devices such as iOS or Android smartphones and tablets with the free download of the Canon CameraWindow app, or to other select PowerShot cameras, or to a PC. The advanced wireless features let the camera act as a wireless network and record GPS data acquired from a smartphone using the free download of the Canon CameraWindow app, or send images directly to a Wi-Fi compatible printer.
The PowerShot S110 includes a 24mm wide-angle lens with 5x optical zoom and bright f/2.0 aperture ideal for low-light photography or soft backgrounds with shallow depth of field. Featuring Canon’s HS SYSTEM, the PowerShot S110 camera’s DIGIC 5 image processor and newly designed Canon 1/1.7-inch 12.1-megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor work together to enhance low-light image quality at a maximum ISO speed of 12800. As with the PowerShot G15, the PowerShot S110 also features advancements in Canon’s AF system with improved AF times and reduced lag over previous S-series models. These AF improvements also enhance the High-Speed Burst HQ mode allowing for continuous capture of up to 10 frames at 12.1-megapixels. The video capabilities of the PowerShot S110 are equally impressive with 1080p Full HD video, built-in stereo microphone, optical zoom while shooting, and convenient playback via HDMI output. Camera menu navigation, image playback and viewing has been made simple and intuitive with a 3.0-inch wide capacitive touch panel LCD screen, along with Canon’s Touch Shutter feature, which makes shooting easy and interactive .
The camera’s Intelligent IS system matches the shooting conditions with one of six stabilization modes for smooth video and sharp images. Diving and underwater enthusiasts will enjoy the new optional PowerShot S110 waterproof case, the WP-DC47, capable of diving to depths of up to 130 feet.
PowerShot SX50 HS Digital Camera
The new PowerShot SX50 HS includes a high-powered 50x optical zoom (24-1200mm) and 24mm wide-angle lens with Optical Image Stabilization for clear steady images even at full telephoto. To help maximize the potential of the 50x zoom lens, are incredible 1080p Full HD video capabilities of the PowerShot SX50 HS with stereo sound and optical zoom while recording. The PowerShot SX50 HS includes Canon’s HS SYSTEM where the camera’s image processor and CMOS image sensor work together to enhance low-light image quality at a maximum ISO speed of 6400.
The PowerShot SX50 HS also features advancements in Canon’s AF system with improved AF times and reduced lag over previous SX-series models. These AF improvements also enhance the High-Speed Burst HQ mode allowing for continuous capture of up to 10 frames at 12.1-megapixels. For those tricky overhead or low-angle shots, the camera features a new 2.8-inch vari-angle LCD screen (461,000 dots) and Zoom Framing Assist to help users locate, track and capture subjects while using the extreme telephoto on the PowerShot SX50 HS. By pressing a button, the Zoom Framing Assist Seek function remembers your previous zoom position, zooms out to let you locate your subject, and zooms right back into the saved position when the button is released. A second Zoom Framing Assist Lock button allows the camera to lock the Image Stabilization onto the center of the frame for additional compensation of camera movement, making it much easier to keep the intended subject in frame. The camera also features an electronic viewfinder, ideal for shooting in bright outdoor conditions. To help make photography simple, Canon’s Smart AUTO mode intelligently selects optimal camera settings from 58 pre-defined shooting situations.
The PowerShot SX50 HS can be set to capture 12-bit RAW + JPEG image files for instant file back-ups and great latitude with post-processing and image modification. A hot shoe allows for optional accessories such as Canon Speedlites or additional lighting options.
Pricing and Availability
The new PowerShot G15, PowerShot S110 and PowerShot SX50 HS digital cameras are expected to be available in October 2012 for an estimated retail price of $499.99, $449.99 and $479.99, respectively.
For more information, visit: www.usa.canon.com/powershot
- As of August 21, 2012
- According to tests performed by Canon Inc. when compared to the PowerShot G12 model, the PowerShot G15 digital camera exhibits improvements in AF speed with a 53 percent reduction in AF time and a 45 percent reduction in shutter lag. When tested against PowerShot S100 model, the PowerShot S110 digital camera exhibits improvements in AF speed with a 29 percent reduction in AF time and a 38 percent reduction in shutter lag. Tests were conducted under identical conditions - Subject brightness: Lv 13, shooting mode: P mode/Single AF (center point). The percentage of improvement for AF and Shooting time lag (Shutter lag) is measured in seconds. Defined focal length for each model: G15 and G12 at 28mm wide, S110 and S100 at 24mm wide and SX50 HS and SX40 HS at 24mm wide. AF time definition conforms to CIPA guidelines established in April 2012.
- Compatible with IOS Version 4.3 or later and Android devices Version 188.8.131.52 or later. Data charges may apply.
- This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images thought this software.
- In certain countries or regions, the use of GPS may be restricted. Therefore, be sure to use GPS in accordance with the laws and regulations in the country or region. Be particularly careful when travelling outside your home country. As a signal is received from GPS satellites, take sufficient measures when using in locations where the use of electronics is regulated. Cellular data charges may apply. ** This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
- This software enables you to upload images to social network services. Before uploading images, please be aware that image files may contain privacy related information such as people and places. If necessary, please delete such information. Canon does not obtain, collect or use such images or any information included in such images through this software.
- DPS over IP compatible printer is required.