Olympus isn't the only one who has a new rugged camera to show off today, as Fujifilm just announced one of their own. The FinePix XP170 doesn't have the fast lens of the Olympus, but it does have Wi-Fi, something the TG-1 lacks. Here are the details on the XP170:
FinePix XP170 [specs]
- 14 Megapixel CMOS sensor
- F3.9-4.9, 5X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 140 mm
- Sensor-shift image stabilization
- Rugged camera is waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof from 6.6 feet, freezeproof to +14F, and dustproof
- 2.7" LCD display with 230,000 pixels
- Point-and-shoot operation, with scene-selecting SR Auto mode
- Built-in Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos to Android and iOS devices, from which they can be transmitted to social networking and photo sharing sites
- Can capture 360 degree panoramas
- Full HD (1080/30p) video recording with mono sound, use of optical zoom
- 95MB on-board memory + SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- Uses NP-50 li-ion battery, 300 shots per charge
- Available in blue and orange
- Ships in June for $279
FUJIFILM MAKES SHARING IMAGES EASY WITH THE ALL NEW RUGGED AND WATERPROOF FINEPIX XP170 DIGITAL CAMERA
New Wireless Image Transfer Lets Users Share Their Most Memorable Outdoor Images Faster Than Ever
Valhalla, N.Y., May 8, 2012 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of the all new waterproof FinePix XP170 digital camera that combines rugged protection and durability with a new innovative Wireless Image Transfer function that allows users to wirelessly connect to their smartphone or tablet and then upload images to the Internet for online sharing. The FinePix XP170 is the latest edition in Fujifilm’s bestselling line of waterproof cameras for three years in a row*.
The FinePix XP170 digital camera is ideally suited for all of your outdoor adventures because it features Four-Way Protection that is Waterproof to 33ft (10M), Shockproof to 6.5 ft (2M), Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C) and Dustproof. With all this protection, you are certain to get your most daring shots, all with an extremely attractive camera body that is easy to use. The FinePix XP170 also delivers a bright LCD screen, fast auto focus speeds, comfortable grip, and advanced functionality for all weather conditions.
The new FinePix XP170 lets users capture higher quality pictures they would otherwise miss with a smartphone camera that cannot be exposed to the elements, wet weather and cold temperatures. And with the new Wireless Image Transfer feature, users can still share those great outdoor images quickly and easily.
“Sharing photos online has become the best and fastest way to show your family and friends your favorite images, and the versatile and durable FinePix XP170 lets users capture images in more places, and then offers easy sharing with its innovative Wireless Image Transfer function,” said David Troy, director of marketing, Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “With its Four-Way Protection, the XP170 can become your go-to camera that you aren’t afraid to get wet, be dropped, or even frozen or covered in dirt and mud – it will still deliver fantastic photos and HD movies every time.”
The new durable FinePix XP170 features the powerful and performance-driven 14-MegaPixel CMOS sensor, faster start-up and shot-to-shot times, up to 10 frames per second (fps) continuous shooting, a 2.7” anti-reflective, high-contrast LCD that has been brightened for clear viewing even in direct sunlight and underwater, and the high-precision, FUJINON 5x wide angle optical zoom lenses (28-140mm) with a reinforced hardened glass lens barrier and water repellent coating.
Wireless Image Transfer
The FinePix XP170’s innovative Wireless Image Transfer function allows users to connect their smartphone or tablet to the XP170 and upload high-quality images to social networking sites like YouTube and Facebook in seconds.
The FinePix XP170 can be connected to any Android™ smartphone or tablet, or the iPhone™ or iPad™ - all users have to do is download the free application “FUJIFILM Photo Receiver” to their device, then follow the simple instructions to get connected. To start uploading, users press the XP170’s connect button to join to a device, then the images will be transferred to the Android™ smartphone / tablet or iPhone™ / iPad™ for uploading to social networking sites.
The FinePix XP170 offers stunning movies in full 1080p HD – even underwater – with sound at 30fps with one-touch ease. Many consumers are happy to enjoy HD movies on their PC, but with the optional HD Player accessory kit, with wireless remote control (HDMI cable not included), families can gather around their home HDTV to enjoy amazingly detailed stills and high resolution movie playback.
Advanced Image Stabilization
The XP170 has a powerful CMOS-shift Image Stabilization (CIS) system. CIS works as the photo is being taken as it combines a mechanically stabilized sensor with high ISO to combat camera/hand shake and subject movement for improved low light shooting. The result is an expanded range of shooting situations where the camera can be used without the need of a tripod or other support. With CIS working in the background, you can capture sharp, colorful scenes and portraits underwater or at night.
Tracking Auto Focus (AF)
Created specifically to capture an action shot, the AF function tracks fast moving subjects so they don’t escape from the frame in a blur. Subjects will be tracked automatically for as long as it is kept in the frame and the shutter is half-pressed. When users fully press the shutter button, the subject will be in the center of the photo in perfect focus.
In addition to these innovations, the XP170 is also loaded with the following features:
- 360° Motion Panorama Mode: Automatically creates a stunning panoramic (horizontal or vertical) picture.
- Scene Recognition Auto (SR AUTO): This mode intelligently identifies the scene type and necessary shooting conditions to optimize picture perfect potential.
- Face Detection and Automatic Red-eye Removal: To provide perfectly exposed and focused portrait shots, the XP170 uses Fujifilm’s latest Face Detection technology which is able to track up to 6 faces simultaneously. The system instantly corrects red-eye and then saves both the original and the corrected image file automatically.
- Li-ion Rechargeable Battery: The XP170 has an extended-life rechargeable Li-ion battery with charger for up to 300 shots per charge that allows users to shoot all of their images without worrying if the camera is going to last for the duration of their trip.
The FinePix XP170 will be available in June 2012 for $279.95 in blue and orange.
An accessory kit for the new XP170 containing an adjustable float strap, protective silicone skin and a neoprene sports case will also be available at launch.