Now onto something a little more interesting from Fujifilm: their three rugged cameras. Rugged cameras are one of the few categories that is still growing, so it's not surprising that Fuji has three new models for 2012. They include:
FinePix XP50 [specs]
- 14 Megapixel CMOS sensor
- F3.9-4.9, 5X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 140 mm
- Sensor-shift image stabilization
- Rugged body is waterproof to 5 feet, shockproof from 5 feet, freezeproof to 14F, and dustproof; comes in black, blue, orange, silver, and green
- 2.7" LCD with 230,000 pixels
- Point-and-shoot operation, with SR Auto mode
- Continuous shooting at 10 frames/second, though I'm not sure at what resolution
- Built-in HDR mode (surprising that only the rugged cameras have this)
- Motion Panorama 360 feature
- "Couple Timer" waits until two people are close together, and you can set the level of "intimacy" -- oh, brother
- Records Full HD video (1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps) with monaural sound and use of optical zoom
- 95MB onboard memory + SD/SDHC/SDXC card slot
- Uses NP-45A lithium-ion battery, 220 shots per charge
- Ships in March for $199
FinePix XP100 [specs] - changes:
- Even more "proof": waterproof increases to 33 feet, shockproof to 6.6 feet
- Uses NP-50 li-ion battery, 300 shots per charge
- Priced at $249
FinePix XP150 [specs] - changes:
- Built-in GPS with an electronic compass and landmark database; a "navigation" feature points you in the direction of where you took a certain photo
- Comes in black and orange
- Priced at $279
FUJIFILM INTRODUCES ALL NEW RUGGED AND DURABLE FINEPIX XP150, XP100 AND XP50 DIGITAL CAMERAS THAT TAKE YOUR OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY TO NEW HEIGHTS
Extreme "Four-Way Protection" Refines What a Durable, Stylish Outdoor Camera Should Be
Valhalla, N.Y., January 5, 2012 – FUJIFILM North America Corporation today announced the launch of the all new FinePix XP150 (with GPS) and XP100 (without GPS) digital cameras that take rugged protection and durability to a whole new level. Now, they are Waterproof to 33ft (10M) and Shockproof to 6.5 ft (2M), Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C) and Dustproof. In addition, the all new XP50 also fights water, shocks, cold and debris by being Waterproof to 16.5ft (5M) and Shockproof to 5 ft (1.5M), Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C) and Dustproof. With all this protection, you are certain to get your most adventurous shots, all with an extremely attractive camera body that is easy to use.
As a follow up to the highly successful XP-Series and its definitive “Four-Way Protection” each camera has been redesigned to deliver a brighter LCD screen, faster auto focus speeds, better ergonomics, and advanced functionality for all weather conditions.
The new durable FinePix XP-Series now feature the powerful and performance-driven 14-MegaPixel CMOS sensor, faster start-up and shot-to-shot times, up to 10 frames per second (fps) continuous shooting, a 2.7” anti-reflective, high-contrast LCD that has been brightened for clear viewing even in direct sunlight, and the high-precision, FUJINON 5x wide angle optical zoom lenses (28-140mm) with a reinforced hardened glass lens barrier and water repellent coating.
“Active families have redefined the uses for a digital camera, and Fujifilm’s versatile and durable XP-Series lets consumers capture images in more places,” said David Troy, director of marketing, Digital Cameras, Electronic Imaging Division, FUJIFILM North America Corporation. “The XP150, XP100 and XP50 thrive in elements that most cameras are afraid of, and allow users to capture photos and movies in new and unique ways, even underwater.”
The FinePix XP150 and XP100 are Fujifilm’s most rugged and durable digital cameras that are perfect for mountain biking, hiking, skiing, surfing, and anything else that defines an extreme adventure. Both the XP150 and XP100 are Waterproof to 33ft (10M) and Shockproof to 6.5 ft (2M), Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C) and Dustproof.
The XP50, also extremely tough and stylish, is perfect for active families on the go that want a camera they can take anywhere without worrying about its safety. Consumers can drop them, soak them, freeze them, and even cover them in dirt and mud, and the XP-Series will come out unscathed and taking great pictures. The XP50 is Waterproof to 16.5ft (5M) and Shockproof to 5 ft (1.5M), Freezeproof to 14°F (-10°C) and Dustproof.
Newly Redesigned Double Locking Door
The ergonomically-designed cameras are housed in a metal uni-body chassis for durability, and now feature a totally redesigned double locking door that seals and protects the battery and memory card slots, along with the USB and micro-HD ports. This new, heavy-duty door keeps the XP-Series cameras watertight and locks out dust and debris in any situation that you can throw at it.
The FinePix XP150, XP100 and XP50 all offer stunning movies in full 1080p HD – even underwater – with sound at 30fps with one-touch ease. Many consumers are happy to enjoy HD movies on their PC, but with the optional HD Player accessory kit, with wireless remote control (HDMI cable not included), families can gather around their home HDTV to enjoy amazingly detailed stills and high resolution movie playback.
Advanced Image Stabilization
The XP-Series all have a powerful sensor shift Dual Image Stabilization (CIS) system. CIS works as the photo is being taken as it combines a mechanically stabilized sensor with high ISO to combat camera/hand shake and subject movement for improved low light shooting. The result is an expanded range of shooting situations where the cameras can be used without the need of a tripod or other support. With CIS working in the background, you can capture sharp, colorful scenes and portraits underwater or at night.
Tracking Auto Focus (AF)
Created specifically to capture an action shot, the AF function tracks fast moving subjects so they don’t escape from the frame in a blur. Subjects will be tracked automatically for as long as it is kept in the frame and the shutter is half-pressed; when users fully press the shutter button your subject will be in the centre of the photo in perfect focus.
GPS and Geo-Tagging (XP150 only)
The FinePix XP150 features a high sensitivity GPS antenna that is now quicker and easier to pinpoint your location, no matter where you are in the world. The FinePix XP150 also includes an electronic compass, Photo Navigation and GPS Geo-Tagging
In addition to these innovations, the cameras are loaded with the following features:
- 360° Motion Panorama Mode: Automatically creates a stunning panoramic (horizontal or vertical) picture.
- Scene Recognition Auto (SR AUTO): This mode intelligently identifies the scene type and necessary shooting conditions to optimize picture perfect potential.
- Face Detection and Automatic Red-eye Removal: To provide perfectly exposed and focused portrait shots, the XP-Series cameras are fitted with Fujifilm’s latest Face Detection technology which is able to track up to 10 faces simultaneously. The system instantly corrects red-eye and then saves both the original and the corrected image file automatically.
- Li-ion Rechargeable Battery: The XP150 and XP100 both feature an extended-life rechargeable Li-ion battery with charger for up to 330 shots per charge. The XP50’s rechargeable Li-ion battery delivers up to 220 shots per charge. Either way, the XP-Series allows users to shoot all of their images without worrying if the camera is going to last for the duration of their trip.
- Movie Editing Mode and Blog mode: Get creative and add finishing touches to movies and images, among others, you can choose from black and white, Sepia, or you can even add a dynamic lighting effect, all this in-camera.