Yesterday also brought the announcement of the new Ricoh R10, which is
the follow-up to the R8. Here are the notable features on this new camera which,
incidentally, is only sold through two
in the USA.
Ricoh R10 [specs]
- 10.0 effective Megapixel CCD
- F3.3-5.2, 7.1X optical zoom lens, equivalent to 28 - 200 mm
- Sensor-shift image stabilization
- 3-inch LCD display with 460,000 pixels (nice!)
- Point-and-shoot operation
- Face detection
- Electronic level means the end of crooked horizons (and boy, do I need
- Unique 1:1 aspect ratio available
- VGA movie mode (30 fps) with sound
- 54MB onboard memory + SD/SDHC card slot
- Uses DB-70 lithium-ion battery; 300 shots per charge
- Compact body comes in silver and black
- Priced at $379
Ricoh announces the RICOH R10
7.1x Optical wide-angle zoom digital camera with
3.0-inch HVGA monitor and internal electronic level
Tokyo, Japan, August 19, 2008 Ricoh Co., Ltd. (president and CEO: Shiro Kondo)
today announced the development and release of the RICOH R10. In addition to
its 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens (28-200 mm in 35 mm film equivalent focal
length), this new digital camera features a 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, an electronic
level, and other new capabilities to further enhance its utility as a tool
for easy photography with advance photographic functions.
The new RICOH R10 is the successor model to the very popular RICOH R8 ( launched
March 7, 2008), which featured a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens, a high-resolution
10 megapixel CCD, Smooth Imaging Engine III, and a body combining operability
Inheriting many distinctive characteristics from its predecessor,
the RICOH R10 also has a wide range of advanced capabilities, such as (1) a
3.0-inch 460,000-dot HVGA monitor, (2) the electronic level that is a very
popular feature on the GR DIGITALII (launched November 2007) and the GX200
(launched July 2008), and (3) a flag function enabling quick call-up of selected
Inheriting the RICOH R8 design concept "A tool you will want to use every
day," the RICOH R10 has a top cover with the same beauty and solid, metal
feel. And an easier-to-hold grip has been added to further increase ease of
use as a photographic tool.
Main Features of the New RICOH R10
1. High-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor.
• The large, high-resolution 3.0-inch, 460,000-dot HVGA monitor has
a wide viewing angle and high contrast for easy viewing even when shooting
2. Electronic level utilizing an acceleration sensor.
• The new electronic level is convenient for keeping the camera level
when shooting landscapes, buildings, and other scenes where tilting of the
subject is a concern. The level indicator shown on the LCD display makes it
possible to confirm that the image is level while shooting.
• It is also possible to check whether the image is level using the
level sound setting. When this setting is on, a level sound is continually
emitted at a set interval if the camera is level.
• The acceleration sensor also makes it easier to view images on the
LCD display by automatically rotating the images to horizontal or vertical
3. A 28 to 200 mm 7.1x optical zoom on a body featuring both
operability and portability.
• Ricoh's original double retracting lens system has made it possible
to mount a 7.1x optical wide-angle zoom lens on a body measuring only 22.6
mm at its thinnest point. This lens can handle a wide range of conditions from
wide-angle shooting of both expansive landscapes and tight indoor scenes (with
limited space between camera and subject) to high-impact telephoto shooting.
• With the step zoom function, it is possible to change the optical
zoom magnification in seven fixed steps (28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 85 mm, 105 mm,
135 mm, and 200 mm equivalent). The step zoom can be easily switched on and
off by assigning it to the new Fn (function) button.
4. High image quality with
a high-resolution CCD and the highly evaluated image processing engine Smooth
Imaging Engine III.
• For high-quality images with both high resolution and low noise,
the RICOH R10 combines an effective 10 megapixel 1/2.3-inch CCD with Smooth
Imaging Engine III, an image processing engine capable of handling a wide range
of shooting conditions.
5. New image flag function facilitates quick display
of desired images from among the many photographs taken.
• With the image flag function, it is possible to flag up to three
image files for quick display from among the images in the camera. When traveling,
this function is convenient for calling up images shot for future reference
(for example, photographs of maps and time tables).
6. The RICOH R10 takes the
concept of "A tool you will want to use every
day" to a new level of functionality.
(1)Fn (function) button
• The Fn (function) button makes it possible to switch selected settings
with just one push. Custom defining a frequently used setting, such as target
shift or AE lock for auto shooting mode, will make it possible to quickly switch
functions by just pushing the Fn button during shooting.
(2)Enhanced grip and design sense
• The change to a grip popular for its ease of use has made the camera
easier to hold while enhancing its design sense. The RICOH R10 achieves utility
plus styling that intensifies a simple, functional beauty and eliminates design
7. Easy shooting mode to enjoy shooting with simple operations
• With easy shooting mode only frequently used functions are engaged,
and it is possible to shoot using operations easy for almost anyone. By pushing
the Fn button when in easy shooting mode, it is possible to specify backlight
compensation, which is convenient to use for backlit scenes.
8. Extensive shooting
functions enhance enjoyment of image creation.
• Even when shooting in high-contrast situations, the camera can use
an auto level compensation function to automatically adjust tones to achieve
an appropriate level of brightness in the recorded image while reducing areas
that are overly bright or dark.
• A flash light intensity adjustment function makes it possible to
adjust light intensity from -2.0 EV to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps.
• When you want to take multiple pictures using the self timer, the
custom self-timer function can be used to specify the number of pictures to
be taken (1 to 10) and the shooting interval (5 to 10 sec.).
• Aspect ratio (vertical/horizontal ratio) 1:1 square format photography
9. Superior macro photography functions.
• The highly rated Ricoh macro photography functions are included.
Get as close to the subject as 1 cm at maximum wide angle* and 25 cm at maximum
telephoto. *32 mm equivalent
• For macro shooting, the minimum macro distance display function can
be used to show the minimum shooting distance on the LCD display.
stabilizer function and face recognition mode.
• The RICOH R10 contains Ricoh's original CCD-shift image stabilizer
function, which compensates for camera shake when it is detected. This reduces
the blurring that tends to occur in situations such as telephoto and macro
• Face recognition mode automatically identifies faces in a scene and
optimizes focus, exposure, and white balance for the faces.