Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

What is ZBThumbnail.info???

I posted this in the Canon section but I think I should've posted it here instead....so it goes...

I have a Canon A75 and everytime I download my pictures from my camera to my computer it would only download the JPEGS. I recently had to reinstall my operating system. After I did this I noticed that for every folder containing my pictures there is an added file called ZBThumbnail.info. This file never used to be there.

Does anyone know what the purpose of this file is and how it is used? Or can I just delete it.

I went to a website and it said that a program called XNview will open the file but apparently it doesn't.

Thanks for the help.

It's a file used by zoombrowser (probably the program you downloaded it with) to catalog the thumbnails for the photos in the folder. Personally I just leave it there as it is insignificantly small.

Quote Originally Posted by arrgon
    It's a file used by zoombrowser (probably the program you downloaded it with) to catalog the thumbnails for the photos in the folder. Personally I just leave it there as it is insignificantly small.
    Thanks for the help. I realize what happened now. When I reinstalled Windows XP Pro the thumbnail files had their statuses changed from hidden to non-hidden. Therefore they were always there but I never saw them before.

PaulHBS Guest

Post Purpose and use of ZBThumbnail.info

A query to Canon customer support brought this response:

The ZBThumnail.info has information pertaining to the various thumbnail
    images that represent the images that are contained in your Pictures
    folder.

Nothing will happen if the thumbnail file is deleted. A new one will be created the next time ZoomBrowser EX is launched.

It is not necessary to move the thumbnail file when moving images.
    ZoomBrowser EX will update the thumbnail files as needed.

It is not possible to store two thumbnail files in the same folder as
    they will both have the same name (one of them will need to be deleted).

Sincerely,
    Technical Support Representative

Special Note: Certain issues are very difficult to resolve via email.
    If your question remains unanswered after you have received this email,
    you may call our special toll-free number for email customers with
    unresolved issues and speak to a technician by dialing 1-866-261-9362,
    Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 midnight ET, and Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays).