Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Video/battery Usage Question

I have a few general questions on battery usage maybe someone can help me with. I have a new canon a540. I plan to us it for video clips as well as pictures. I will buy some 2gb cards, from what Ive been told you can get approximately 2 clips of time approximately 8-9 minutes each from a 2gb card. After the first 8-9 minutes of video the camera will stop! How do you start up again for the second 8-9 minute clip?? I was looking through the manual-maybe Im just not seeing it-how do you start a second clip of time?
    If you have brand new AA, (non-rechargeable batteries) should they last for a whole 2gb card of video? Maybe a second 2gb card of video as well? Of course always keep extra batteries, etc. Any remarks welcomed. Thanks WALABOOM.

The camera will stop recording when the file size hits 1G (8-9 minutes). To start filming again, you just hit the record button and it'll start right up. It's just as if the camera hit the stop button for you. The camera doesn't shut off, it just finishes writing out the video clip and waits for your next instruction.

Why bother with non-rechargeable AA batteries? You'll need a set of NiMH AAs anyways. I have no idea if Alkaline AA's will last for 9 minutes of filming. Based on their performance shooting still images (lousy) I wouldn't expect them to last, but video and stills are very different, so it might work. I wouldn't count on them.

Only use AA HD or Alk batts if needed.... You should buy a set of 4 AA rechargeables...2400-2700 mahs and they will last for a long, long time. You can find them with a charger for around $20.00.

Recording for 8-9 minutes straight is a long time. I think the most I have recorded at one time was 2 minutes. I have used a whole 2gb card with almost all video but it was 20 seconds to a minute at a time. So I had probably 25-30 avi files. You can take pictures, then video, then pics, back to video etc....
    Last edited by cwat212; 05-01-2007 at 05:16 PM.
    Canon XTi & SD600

Battery Usage Reply

Thanks again for the info. I didnt know there was a significant difference in the quality of pictures taken from a regular set of aa batteries and the rechargeables. I will get some rechargeables and a charger, I just saw one for
    18.95 plus tax. One 1gb card for pictures and one 2gb card for video should last me for my first real event taking pictures at an airshow. The canon a540
    is small but for me its exactly what I need. Hope to learn and improve on it
    and in 2-3 years decide what next direction to take. Thanks again.WALABOOM

Quote Originally Posted by WALABOOM View Post
    Thanks again for the info. I didnt know there was a significant difference in the quality of pictures taken from a regular set of aa batteries and the rechargeables.
    Oops, perhaps I wasn't clear. There is no difference in image quality based on batteries. Alkaline batteries simply won't last very long shooting with a digital camera. You might get 15-20 shots on alkaline batteries versus 200 with NiMH rechargeable batteries. It's due to the difference in battery chemistry and their discharge curves.

So, you'll need NiMH to shoot at the airshow. I don't know if the power draw is different between shooting still images and shooting video. I keep NiMHs in my S3 and shoot a mix of still and video, and they hold up just fine.

I don't think you need to dedicate one card for video and one for still images. I just shoot until the card runs out and then swap. Unless you really are going to shoot 9 minutes in a single shot I wouldn't worry about swapping cards back and forth.

-dave-

Dave Response

Thanks for the info, I definitely dont want to waste my supply of regular aa's
    for the airshow. I have never had a reason to get rechargeables until know.
    I was happily surprised that the price of a charger and batteries was reasonable. When I was mentioning 8-9 minutes in my post I did mean in 20-30 second clips, (panning the crowd, shots of the planes, etc). Definitely looking forward to it. One last question, as usual, can these rechargeables
    be used for regular items? Devices like small flashlights, radios? I use a ton of
    aa batteries with my portable radio. Thanks WALABOOM.

Yes, the NiMH will work in any application. I use mine for my headlamp, but not for any radios. Cameras tend to have spike usage, radios have extended steady draw, so the NiMH might not last as long. Still, it's much better then throwing out lots on dead alkalines.

A single set of NiMH 2800 mAh batteries should last you the whole day. You might need a second set near the end of the day. If you are shooting video in 20-30 second bursts you don't need to change the memory card or worry about anything related to the 1G size limit. That only is an issue if you shoot a single video of 8-9 minutes. For most folks, it's never an issue.

I use my Nimh batts in my kids video games and they last for many hours....10-15plus. Alk last maybe 1-2hours.

So yes they last longer. The Nimh only produce 1.2volts and a typical alk produced 1.5 volts. It usually is not a problem though.
    Canon XTi & SD600

Usage Reply

Thanks again for all the great info! Experience and knowledge is a great thing!
    As usual, more questions later. Thanks WALABOOM

Talking Battery Problem??

I was wondering if I may have got a lemon. I purchased a charger with 4 aa
    batteries. I followed the instructions and charged them, then used them in my camera to practice, after just 2-3 shots it started saying change the batteries. I charged them again today. They charged in less then 30 minutes.
    I only charged 2 of the batteries, as I did the first time. I put them in the proper channels, etc....I'll see what hapens.... On an unrelated question about formatting. My booklet says something about, "low level format". The wording doesn't seem to be completely clear. Do you have to use (LLF)?
    Is there another format option? Do you only choose (LLF) if as it says, "you think the recording/reading level of your memory card speed has dropped".
    I have a speed of 50, so its better than the standard card. Does it mean if
    your shooting many photos, maybe in quick order a standard card will be slowed or delayed so use (LLF)? Since my card is 50 and not standard I don't
    need that particular option, but use maybe a different one? Wondering since in a few weeks I go to an airshow and will take 200-300 photos?? Any comments welcomed. Thanks WALABOOM