Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Energizer CHDCWB-4 problem

Hey, I just bought this 8-hour charger with 4 AA 2500 NiMH kit today and at first everything seemed fine, but then I noticed how hot the batteries were getting and so I took the charger and batteries out from the wall outlet (it was around 8 hours when I did this, btw.)

Is it normal for these to get hot? It says WARM on the instructions, but these were hot, and I'm just scared to even put them in my camera.

I have a Canon A510 -- should I just order the Canon charger and battery set from dell or someplace? What NiMH AA batteries/battery charger would you recommend?

HOt batteries

It's been my experience that the faster a charger charges the batteries, the hotter they get. I use a Duracell one hour charger for NiMH AA batteries, and they get pretty warm. Of course, I never put them back into the camera until they have cooled off to room temperature. I have been told, but I can't say for certain, that some of the 15 minute chargers even have a fan to try to keep things cooler.

This one is an 8-hour one though, so that's normal? I just became a little scared because it said it was normal for them to get WARM.

If they get super hot, take them and the charger back to where you bought them and exchange for another brand. They will die much sooner getting very hot and it obviously bothers you, so all will be solved by getting another charger and batteries. Some of the overnight chargers though slow, keep the batteries much cooler. I have an old thing which takes 24 hours for four 2300mah batteries and they are nice and cool and work very well. They are Delkin batteries and are quite inexpensive and I have an A510 also.
    Last edited by mes444; 07-05-2005 at 06:56 AM.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    All my chargers end up with warm batteries. Some get quite hot but "hot" is a very subjective word. I regard hot as being so hot that it's uncomfortable to hold the battery grasped in my clenched fist. If it's that hot then there probably is something wrong. Mine get warm but not so hot they're uncomfortable to hold.

LonelyLamp Guest
    Hi samanthas, how is your Energizer charger going now? I bought the same one recently and I have the opposite problem from yours: the batteries are so cool when they are in the charger that I can't tell if they are being charged. I am suspecious if that is normal. The batteries work after charged, but I don't know how they perform--I don't have a comparison.

How Hot is Hot

When you say hot, can you hold it in hand with a closed fist ?

If you can't, that's too hot.

I didn't have this problem with this charger.

If you're looking for more info, check out www.rechargeable-battery-review.com.

They test and review rechargeable products. That's all they do.

Hope it helps.

gb