Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

unable to download images from XT

I just loaded the Canon software for the new XT and took a few shots with the camera, but I cannot get the images off the camera to my Windows XP laptop. When I click the "starts download" button on the window that automatically pops up when I turn the camera on, nothing happens. I can view the images and select them but can't download them. I tried the preferences button to specify a folder and that didn't work either. I also formatted the Kodak flash card. No help. I leave for vacation Friday morning. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Most importantly when did you format the Card? Before taking the pictures or after you had trouble downloading them? Because, with out the help of a recovery software package, if you formatted the Card after you took the pictures, after you couldn't download them, you just deleted them. So I pray this is not the case.
    Secondly, have you tried connecting your camera with CF card in it to your computer via the supplied usb cable and then using the autoplay feature [which can be initiated by simply right clicking on the camera under my computer and selecting autoplay] which gives you the option to select the camera wizard to retreive pictures from camera? or you can manually do it by copy and pasting, but with photos in multiple folders perhaps that is not the quickest solution. Another thing to try is to uninstall the Canon software and then reinstall it. Reconnect your camera and try again.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

I tried to download the images before formatting the card. When that didn't work I knew I would lose the images, but formatted the card and took some more shots just to see if that would work. According to the instructions, after the automatic window pops up to offer to down load the images, another Canon software window is suppose to pop up to allow me a choice of where to save the files. That doesn't happen. Nothing happens. I did do an uninstall and reinstall with no luck. I do appreciate your help and suggestions. Maybe I need to find a Canon tech support number from their USA web site.

Did you click the the second tab in the menu to set the camera to the software? Do that then restart the application by closing it out and plugging the camera in via the USB cable.

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Bluedog,

In that window only "confirms/changes camera settings" is highlighted. So I clicked on it and clicked on apply and closed everything out. Then I hooked the cable up and turned on the camera and got the window offering to "starts download". Again, nothing happens after that. Pretty frustrating.

Try and reinstall the Camera driver: while the camera is hooked up to the USB port|open the Windows XP Hardware Device Manager and locate the Camera driver|double click to open the driver properties and choose to uninstall it|close the Device Manager out and unplug the USB connection then restart your computer. Now plug the camera back in the USB port and Windows should load the driver ... if that don't get it call Canon.

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Blue - offered up some good advice?

Does the Microsoft camera wizard work? This may help narrow the problem down. if the microsoft camera wizard can obtain the photos its the canon software, if it can't it may have to do with the camera software, maybe attempt the new firmware update first and then try again???
    Do you have image write protection turned on in the camera - not sure if that would cause it but worth a shot at this point?
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    Flickr | Twitter

To all,

Thank you for your support and suggestions. I just got off of a one and a half hour call with Canon tech support. In a nut shell they suggested I get a card reader. They did try everything you suggested and some other things to no avail. The problem could be my HP all in one printer (uninstalled) or bad USB ports. I don't know, but tomorrow I'm buying a card reader and hope like crazy that solves the problem. Thanks again, this is a great message board and I really appreciate the responses.

Hold your horses! LOL

If it is a faulty USB drive(s), well, a USB card reader is not exactly the answer as you will be plugging it in to the bad usb drives. But Im sure you already thought about that...

Whats this HP printer thing, are you using its USB drives?

Lets start over, How are you connecting the camera to your computer? straight camera to computer via usb? camera to printer USB - from printer to USB hub - to computer? etc etc?? How many USB drives does your Laptop have? I would use the computers usb ports and not attempt using a peripherals usb port to connect to my computer... I always use my usb card reader but thats just me...

Have you tried hooking straight to your computer, you have me confused now with the HP printer thing... Try your computer's USB ports. You are running XP, are you having any other computer problems? How new is your laptop? I'm sure between the lot of us we can get you going...
    Flickr | Twitter

Aparmely,

Dang! You are right, if it's a USB port issue, a card reader will do me no good. I have 2 USB ports on my 2005 Micron laptop and both had the same results with the Canon software. Canon asked me to try the software on my 1998 Windows 98SE desk top to see if it was something other than a Canon software problem. I don't have time to do that before my vacation. I have been working directly to my laptop via USB cable from the camera. I uninstalled the HP printer just to make sure it wasn't the problem. Both USB ports have worked with other programs. What now??