Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a tutorial

I have just bought my first DSLR, a D70s. Besides the 10-70 that came with the kit I have a Nikor 70-300 and an SB600 (? letter I am not sure of but the numbers are correct) flash unit, 2 1G 80x flash memory cards and a 256M card. This is the first camera that I have purchased in more than 30 years; I have Olympus OM1 and OM2 bodies with a nice handful of lenses. BUT! I could really use a good tutorial on the D70s so I can get the most out it. Needless to say this camera is light years away from anything I have ever used.

I have shot about 400 frames with the camera in my first week of ownership and am most impressed with the results I have seen. I am currently saving my shots in fine mode. I am slowly feeling my way around using the P mode setting. Being that I am a most impatient person and want to learn as much as possible without making ALL the mistakes in as short a time as possible I am looking for a tutorial to get me up to speed quickly. Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

tutorial

Keep experimenting, take a lot of photographs of the type you like,
    Try getting a good starting book on photography, one example I could recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Quote Originally Posted by Loren B P
    I have just bought my first DSLR, a D70s. Besides the 10-70 that came with the kit I have a Nikor 70-300 and an SB600 (? letter I am not sure of but the numbers are correct) flash unit, 2 1G 80x flash memory cards and a 256M card. This is the first camera that I have purchased in more than 30 years; I have Olympus OM1 and OM2 bodies with a nice handful of lenses. BUT! I could really use a good tutorial on the D70s so I can get the most out it. Needless to say this camera is light years away from anything I have ever used.

I have shot about 400 frames with the camera in my first week of ownership and am most impressed with the results I have seen. I am currently saving my shots in fine mode. I am slowly feeling my way around using the P mode setting. Being that I am a most impatient person and want to learn as much as possible without making ALL the mistakes in as short a time as possible I am looking for a tutorial to get me up to speed quickly. Any help that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
    If you don't mind spending a little then take a look at the Peter iNova D70 e-book. It was a great help to me and includes a section on RAW (NEF) that will also help you understand shooting that format.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Magic Lantern Guides or back

Magic Lantern went bank ruped about the time they did the Nikon N80 guide. Nikon had nothing to do with this. But they or back and they have a guide for the D70s/D70. I bought one on ebay for $19.00 plus shipping about $5.00. Happy shooting.
    Panasonic FZ20
    VYC0913 remote
    Nikon N80
    Pantax ZX50

Smile Nikon Digitutor

Nikon has this site with some "basic tutorials" for the D50, D70 & D70s

http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html

it is worth to take a look...

regards
    Last edited by miguelito; 07-13-2005 at 10:04 PM.

I second the motion for the Peter iNova e-book on D70. My only slight reservation is that you may want to hold off until a revised edition for your D70s comes out. The book, well over 400 pages has served as my encyclopedia of D70. As valuable as it is for Nikon D70 newbies, it becomes an excellent point of reference months later, after you get out there and get familiar with the camera. It is written with style and wit, in a real world, conversational manner that inspires as well as teaches.
    - Kenyada
    In Life, as in Photography, things look much brighter, once you remove the lens cap
    Nikon D70 w/18-70mm | Sigma 70-300mm Macro II | SB800 | SC29 Cord | ML-L3 Remote | Canon iP5000/i9900 Printers | Feisol CM1401 cf Mo'pod/Manfrotto 3229 Head

slitman Guest

Arrow

Has anyone come across a book yet for the Nikon D50?

Cool Nikon D70/D70s tutorial

I just came across with...

http://www.shortcourses.com/bookstor..._nikond70s.htm

"New, a Short Courses digital photography book for people who want to get better pictures with their Nikon D70s digital SLR camera or the almost identical Nikon D70 with the firmware upgrade 2.0...it pulls together answers to the questions you might have about using the Nikon D70s or the Nikon D70..."

regards
    Last edited by miguelito; 07-23-2005 at 02:43 PM.

A Tutorial

Folks-

send me a PM if you want some specific recommendation.

Sarah Joyce

slitman Guest

Arrow

Hi Sarah,

I tried to PM you, but received the following error:

speaklightly has exceeded their stored private messages quota and can not accept further messages until they clear some space.

Can you please post your recommendations here for the D50.

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    Folks-

send me a PM if you want some specific recommendation.

Sarah Joyce