Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
    Virginia Beach, VA

Transcend SD cards any good?

Anyone know if the Transcend 80X SD card is any good? I need a high-speed card to use with my new Canon S2 IS (that has not arrived yet ). I found a good price for this particular SD card at NewEgg.com for $64.99 (check it out here).

I've never heard of this brand before, but the price is tempting. Should I pay a few bucks more for a more 'well-known' brand? Thanks for the help!

I bought a 256MB Transcend x80 SD card for my Panasonic FZ5. It worked fine in my laptop SD card reader and my Motorola phone but the camera wouldn't format/read or write to the card.

On the backside of the card was stamped:
    6451AB 256M 01 - Made in Taiwan
    114288 2455 0515

I wrote directly to Transcend customer support and they replied (within a couple of days):
    Please exchange a new one from your dealer with batch 115691 or later.
    My dealer couldn't get a hold on a card with a newer batch number, so I chose to swap it with another brand (Toshiba, X4Store - which is also giving me problems).

So check the batch number or try it out before buying.

Patriot Extreme is working for me

Also available for essentially the same price as the Transcend card, the Patriot Extreme - which is a little slower, rated at 60x - has worked so far with no problems but minimal usage in my FZ5.