Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

SLR Lenses used for D50?

Are the lenses that we've used on the Nikon SLR's still compatible with the Nikon DSLR's?

depends on the mount. Are they ol' manual focus lenses?
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Yes and no.

Most of them will hang on the front end of the camera without damaging it. (Look in the camera manual for a list of compatible lenses, and specific exceptions). However, that doesn't mean fully compatible. You may have heard of a guy here named Rhys. He has a bunch of old Nikkor AIS type lenses. They would work fine on a D70, as fully manual lenses (even the meter doesn't work). He now considers anything from Nikon the scourge of the earth. C'est la vie. If your lenses are fully manual types, they still will be. If they don't have a Nikon F mount, they won't suddenly fit on an F mount. If they are relatively recent, autofocus lenses, there's a good chance they will work just fine on the D70.

Cheers,
    Eric

I'd say in the grand pantheon of lenses made by Nikon over the last 45 or so years, there are but a relative handful that won't work on the D70. To reinforce what has been previously stated, however, no magic is going to occur and turn a fully manual Nikkor lens into an automatic piece of glass.

Funny thing is some of the older and good Nikon glass don't work on newer Nikon DSLRS, like the D70. Simply add an adapter and bam, it is working on Canon EF mount.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Obi,

All F mount lenses work fine of the D70/50, you just need to meter with an external light meter, or guestimate and check histograms to get a generally good setting for your conditions.

How about mounting a 30 year old FD lens on an EF EOS and taking a picture that easily, hmm?

You can also have your older AI lenses chipped, and then you can meter through them.

The only lenses I have found that TOTALLY wont mount on a D70 are the Pronea lenses made for the Nikon APS SLR's. I lost a sale because of that

Yeah, it is the AI lenses, just mount a metal adapter and it meters. Easy as pie, no need for rechipping.

There are optical adapters available for EOS to FD, but newere canon lenses are much better, so why bother.

Now if it was a 50 year old Leica, or CZ...
    US Navy--Hooyah!

I'd have a hard time believing that canon actually improved the FD 50mm f1.4 that I got with my Canon A-1, circa 1980. THAT was an outstanding lens, and built like a tank.

Cheers,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TheObiJuan
    Funny thing is some of the older and good Nikon glass don't work on newer Nikon DSLRS, like the D70. Simply add an adapter and bam, it is working on Canon EF mount.

Where do you find information about this? More specifically, I have somewhat recent (circa mid 1990s) Minolta lenses that I'm wondering whether they have any useful value now.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoteriX
    Where do you find information about this? More specifically, I have somewhat recent (circa mid 1990s) Minolta lenses that I'm wondering whether they have any useful value now.
    You might want to look into the Konica/Minolta 7D, or wait for the rumoured lower end Minolta DSLR's. It will mount your lenses directly, and as an advantage it offers VR technology built into the body, which means you will get anti-shake with your existing lenses, without having to invest in fairly costly IS or VR lenses. The cost of a D70 or RebelXT with new lenses will likely be higher than a 7D using your existing glass.

While you might find adapters, I am leary of them, personally.