Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Caught in Digital Camera scam

I have ordered a camera through Amazon.com. The seller is mamameaqw@yahoo.com, the seller's name is Hanganu Marius Ionel. Prudu B5A, Pitesti, 0300, Romania. I have sent him payment of $650.00, through Money Gram on June 8th, and have not received any word back from him. I had emailed him several times to confirm payment, innitially. Then, to inquire on the status of the order. I have gotten no response from him.
    I wanted to bring this item to all of your attention, as I have a feeling he has victimized many people through different names. He is still an active seller on amazon and many other camera sites, through different names. If any of you have any information, please let me know.
    I have contacted Amazon, my local authorities, the FBI and the Romanian Commerce department. I feel like a fool for ever allowing this to happen. I have a lot of company, unfortunately. Be very wary of Romanian sellers and NEVER send anyone a money wire, no matter how official the documents they provide look. That was the stupidest thing I could have done. Contact me at artaqq@southslope.net, if you have any information.

Question Er, uh...

Pardon the dumb question, but WHY were you even contemplating buying a camera from someone in Romania? Couldn't you find a legitimate domestic source for the same camera?
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by artaqq
    I have ordered a camera through Amazon.com. The seller is mamameaqw@yahoo.com, the seller's name is Hanganu Marius Ionel. Prudu B5A, Pitesti, 0300, Romania. I have sent him payment of $650.00, through Money Gram on June 8th, and have not received any word back from him. I had emailed him several times to confirm payment, innitially. Then, to inquire on the status of the order. I have gotten no response from him.
    I wanted to bring this item to all of your attention, as I have a feeling he has victimized many people through different names. He is still an active seller on amazon and many other camera sites, through different names. If any of you have any information, please let me know.
    I have contacted Amazon, my local authorities, the FBI and the Romanian Commerce department. I feel like a fool for ever allowing this to happen. I have a lot of company, unfortunately. Be very wary of Romanian sellers and NEVER send anyone a money wire, no matter how official the documents they provide look. That was the stupidest thing I could have done. Contact me at artaqq@southslope.net, if you have any information.

Yeah I would be very careful buying from unknown sellers through Amazon, they DO NOT have a good reputation for protecting their customers in these situations....

I must admit I have been ripped off before (once) on ebay but I payed through Paypal, so after 2 weeks of my complaint paypal/ebay refunded my money...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    Yeah I would be very careful buying from unknown sellers through Amazon, they DO NOT have a good reputation for protecting their customers in these situations....

I must admit I have been ripped off before (once) on ebay but I payed through Paypal, so after 2 weeks of my complaint paypal/ebay refunded my money...
    I've had so many dodgy online dealings that I refuse to deal with any online "businesses". It's safer buying from a shop that has a physical address that can be visited. I went on about some shop I was told about called KFH or something similar. Emailing the people asking where they were and what their store hours were proved they didn't have a shop at all but dealt online as though they had a shop. For all I know, they could be honest with a bad business practice or downright crooks. Either way they lost my interest. Basically, it isn't worth risking fraud when for a few dollars more you can walk into a shop, keep local people employed and have somewhere you can return duff goods to.

Hey mate... found your scammer on this site... Cheers!

Hey man... found the same dude I think on an Aussie webpage. Tried to sell me a camera after a western union sale... I also have emails from the guy I will send to you hey... hope you find this dodgy ass.

http://www.stuff.com.au/itemview_classified.asp?sch=stuff1&uid=guest&sku={ F033F8DF-282F-4B96-8472-494283EFBFEB}
    Last edited by Zac_K; 06-22-2005 at 04:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac_K
    Hey man... found the same dude I think on an Aussie webpage. Tried to sell me a camera after a western union sale... I also have emails from the guy I will send to you hey... hope you find this dodgy ass.

http://www.stuff.com.au/itemview_classified.asp?sch=stuff1&uid=guest&sku={ F033F8DF-282F-4B96-8472-494283EFBFEB}
    It's simple... Contact the Romanian police... They're trying to get away from the "corrupt" image they acquired under Ceaucescu.

Romanian police attack cyber-crime

Source: Europemedia.net
    Date: May 23, 2003

Stop Cyber-crime On 7 May 2003 the Romanian Police held a press conference at which Mr. Dan Fatuloiu, Adjunct Director of the General Division on Combating Organised Crime and Drugs presented a document on cyber-crime.
    He said that over the course of last year, there were 242 complaints registered in 35 cases related to internet crimes. Ninety-six people were investigated and 54 were preventatively arrested. The estimated loss due to such crimes was around E342,000m. From the beginning of this year, complaints have been solved in 12 penal cases, with people arrested. The estimated loss for 2003 is E86,000.

Original article: http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=1645
    It might be a good idea to have a word with these people:
    The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania
    Address: Aleea Alexandru nr. 31, Sector 1, 011822 Bucharest
    Phone: (40 21) 319.21.45
    Fax: (40 21) 319.21.73
    If you write them a nice letter or even email them then they should be avle to assist you in contacting the right people in Romania. Without a shadow of doubt, your money is gone forever but you can make the guy that conned you suffer and you can save others from falling into the same trap. When the con-artist goes to jail, it might even dissuade other con-artists from attempting the same con.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I've had so many dodgy online dealings that I refuse to deal with any online "businesses". It's safer buying from a shop that has a physical address that can be visited. I went on about some shop I was told about called KFH or something similar. Emailing the people asking where they were and what their store hours were proved they didn't have a shop at all but dealt online as though they had a shop. For all I know, they could be honest with a bad business practice or downright crooks. Either way they lost my interest. Basically, it isn't worth risking fraud when for a few dollars more you can walk into a shop, keep local people employed and have somewhere you can return duff goods to.
    It is just a matter of being careful with who you deal with, I have had more trouble with 'brick and morter' retailers than I have had with online dealers... A reputable dealer is a reputable dealer online or not, same goes for the dodgy dealers...

For ebay most people know to buy from people with decent feedback and use paypal, as with my only case of being poorly dealt with on ebay (from maybe 50 or so purchases) you issue a complaint with ebay, if tracking records cannot be supplied within the required timeframe, with proof that the goods were received, then the money is returned to me by paypal and it is their problem to chase the seller.

Were you referring to KEH?? the second hand camera/lens people, have dealt with them without any issue, infact I know many people who have purchased from them and are more than happy, but hey more deals for us if people are scared to deal with them ;-)
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Oh my GOD! I am stunned.I am Romanian.How anyone could allow this to happen is beyond any imagination...first,I for one am trying my best to buy an S2 from USA,I would never trust my own fellows,so many just waiting to rip you off...I mean sellers like the one you describe.There are many decent ones which you can call and have a word with,prices are high,but you also get warranty,and hey,you can call them any problem.All in all,I think I will pay 700$ and buy one in a shop.(that is the price here).
    Better safe than sorry.Much to my disgust,this is the country I live in.
    Please,if you think I can help you in any way,let me know,I will make phonecalls,I dunno,think about it and let me know.
    And one million sorry's in the name of all decent Romanians.
    Mind Matters.Matters Not.

I think the best thing would be to post the contact name/number/address of the police for Cluj and the headquarters if the police or their fraud department. That would seem to be the most appropriate assistance.

Ok.I will post this info today,later.Now I am making some phonecalls, I have a buddy there,maybe he can give the address right away.But why Cluj? From the address I can see he said Pitesti as his city.However,it's probably fake as well.
    Last edited by IlBianconero; 06-23-2005 at 06:43 AM.
    Mind Matters.Matters Not.