Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Stores that ship internationally?

Does anyone know of decent online stores that ship internationally?
    Every single one of the great priced camera stores on this site and elsewhere only ship within the US. I want to get the FZ5, but the cheapest stores that ship internationally are those that are selling for $500!

The myriad of competitively priced sites of around $370-400 are those that are selling only within the US!
    Anyone know of a site selling for this latter price region that also ship internationally?

I'd be so grateful if anyone can help - thanks.

Found one...

A friend of mine has bought some stuff from bphoto.com - all their prices and what not are on the site.

They have no warranty on digital cameras though.
    Last edited by Zane-O; 06-14-2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added "No warranty though"

Graham,

If it was that easy we'd hardly have any need for camera shops here in Ireland.
    Unfortunately it's the customs on this side that will be your problem. They're well aware of the low cost of electrical good in the U.S. so any obvious items they spot on the way in could well be "confiscated" (I'd love to know where they eventually end up???) as they are deemed to be smuggled goods. I'm not sure about this, but I think you can actually reclaim it if you agree to pay all duties, taxes, fees etc. but by then it would probably work out cheaper to buy it in a high street store in Ireland anyway.
    If you do manage to find somewhere in the U.S. that'll sell it internationally, ask them if they can mark it as a "Gift" on the customs declaration form.

Best of luck
    Mark (Cork)

Hi Mark - oh believe me, I know only too well the antics of customs here

I've just ordered a camera, to be posted to a relative in the US, who's going to post it over with his 'alternative' packaging
    We're still wondering what is best description to put on the parcel - 'Gift', or to twist the facts a bit as to the value of the item. I've been informed by an internet store before that if you put 'faulty' on it, the item will sail through.
    As far as I'm aware though, there's a decent limit in place that allows items through freely - something like a 300 maximum or so, at airports anyway.

It seems to be hit and miss though, as a family member ordered a very heavy speaker in the past from the US and it sailed thorugh no problem, while smaller packages have incurred duties.

I can't sleep properly till (if) it arrives!!!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    If you return to the country with the packaging then it'll look suspicious. Junk the packaging and the camera should look fairly innocuous. Plus, it'll look used - as though you've had it for a long time.

Thanks Rhys.

Yes it's being rewrapped, even ditching the original box, so that should help; seemingly a second-hand item to Customs!

Well, hopefully

zthebaron Guest

Thumbs up International Shipping from the USA

I found this amazing site called www.internationalcheckout.com where I placed an order for the cheapest camera I was able to find in the US and they shipped it to me including my local taxes and VAT, it arrived two days later, they quoted me in my local currency and their customer service was very professional. I saved a fortune.

my advice - label as "gift"

I too am living outside of the US at the moment and am planning on shipping my new camera to my sister - she's coming to visit and will hopefully be able to just carry it with her (fingers crossed!) but my experience with shipping is that claiming it as a gift is definatly the way to go - have never had problems doing it that way. My mom did that with an iPod and there were no problems that I know of (i was traveling when it arrived, so i do not no if it took longer than it was supposed to, but it did arrive in perfect condition, which is whats important...), and she had even been truthfull on the shipping form so it stated for all the customs people to see that it was an ipod... hope this helps
    drew