Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Learning from S2 casual photos

This noontime photo of a lily may be rather common as a subject yet it suggests that the S2 can do rather well in bright light with subjects which frequently reflect so much light as to obscure colors and detail.

As a result I have often resorted to later afternoon or early morning photos to obtain more difused light and less sharply defined shadows. Last part remains but was pleased to see this impulse shot provided reasonably good color and detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Red Lily Detail Crop

This image is a section of the previous red lily image posted to show detail captured by S2. No photo enhancements were made beyond the croping and resaving in Adobe Elements.

Perhaps user with access to other S2 competitive camera models can provide similar posts, i.e., non staged taken as one often does while moving about. Purpose is to show results which camera yields without a lengthy planning cycle and tweaking between images.

S2 as slide copier

Too early to tell for sure but the S2 shows potential for copying slide easily. Old mill slide was held up to light using a slide viewer in one hand while managing the camera with the other. That last said to reduce faulting the camera for user caused skews.

Note people in center window are visible even in reduced version here. Thiis has been a long sought goal for quick copies of less critical family slides and is a welcomed plus.

Zero distance from subject permits cropping of slide and light from the front is not a concern since the slide is lit from the rear and the camera does not block light.

S2 tele-macro

Wanted to take a brightly colored butterfly photo. This brown skipper was the only willing subject.

S2 was hand held about 4 feet from subject in P-mode and zoomed to tightly frame the butterfly. Program reports 72mm zoom but I thought I saw 30x pop up in the viewfinder.

Photo original was accidently enhanced. Two results were reduced details in whilte highlight areas and darker browns in the butterfly. Should have "saved as" a copy of the original before doing the enhancement test. Lesson re-learned.

Positive points are that the image is clear with generally good detail. No prize winner, but shows promise that camera can produce once user gets up to speed. Each camera seems to take practice using various settings before one is comfortable that results will be what is expected given one's level of ability.
    Last edited by C-Digital; 06-13-2005 at 07:38 PM.

S2 Super-Macro Dandelion&Ants

This is a common subject which reveals some more about S2 images.

Ants about 1/8 inch in length were dining on the nectar in this dandelion. Section here is non-enhanced part of the original. Camera was hand held and in super-macro mode.

Once again the goal is to purchase a camera within the S2 price range which meets a broad range of goals. Given passable results in these casual photos then more formal tri-pod and contolled setups should yield even better results, meaning camera purchase is worth making and keeping.

If competitive camera models show even more promise then sharing that information will help guide purchase decisions.

interesting. You would think you should still be able to capture better color, contrast and highlights regardless of the bright conditions.

Good photos, but either my eyes are hooped or there is a significant amount of blur in these photos...the one thing I didn't like about the S2 when comparing to the others was that its focus/stabilization wasn't as good as the Panasonic, and I hear the H1's stabilization/zoom is better then the pana...

Quote Originally Posted by Montana
    interesting. You would think you should still be able to capture better color, contrast and highlights regardless of the bright conditions.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with my Nikon 995 I had to get a polarizer filter for exactly those bright conditions because the reflections blew out the color. I too have found like the original poster the S2 handles these situations much better than expected.

My experience is quite different.. the S2 does a great job of IS and focusing on the telephoto lens. It's a big plus from the s1 to s2.

Lets wait for the pro reviews before we take heresay of those who may or may not know what they're testing(I'm included in that.. )

Angry Learning From S2 Casual Photoes

to Van City
    Why Don't You Post Some Pictures For Comparison To Back Up Your Claim? We Need Substance Not Just Talking. The Pictures Post By C-digital Are Fantastic.