Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucko
    I agree with the recommendation, but I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning.

For me, one of the attractions of the EOS DSLRs is that they use the same lens mount as the EOS film cameras, so one lens can do double duty. Even though I haven't shot any film in a while, I can't imagine leaving it behind forever at this time.

I had a look at the (film) Rebel T2 today, and I was astounded at how much camera you get for only US$250! Heck, that's the cost of a fair-to-middlin' EF lens.
    $250? I saw a K2 for $150 including the lens - brand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Chucko
    Good advice. IMHO, the camera should be considered as an accessory of the lenses, not the other way around.
    Chucko! That is an excellent, excellent, excellent quote!

Thanks for that!

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    With the advent of the digital body, the camera has become more important when compare with the lens. With film cameras, a good lens was critical and the body didn't really matter much at all. As long as a camera exhibited all the shutter speeds, it didn't matter whether the camera had AE, AF, AP, SP etc. Now that we have digital cameras, the body has become important as that takes on the dual role of film and body. Essentially, we have throwaway bodies with bolt-on lenses. When we need more megapixels, we throw the body away and buy another. This is one reason why I'm not keen on the price of dSLRs. For something that gets chucked away every few years, they're a bit expensive!

Actually, I'm dead keen on the XT as a body but I know I should be looking at the glass, first and foremost. Ideally, all lenses should be F2.8 or faster but as with my 35mm system, that takes time to build up. With my 35mm system, I started with 28, 135 and 50mm lenses. With digital I see I'll have to build down to the 18mm lens as the wider angles are so much more expensive.