Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's the verdict on kit lenses?

I plan to buy either a Rebel XT or a 20D in the next couple weeks. This will be my first SLR, so I have 0 lenses of any kind. What are your thoughts about the kit lenses? Worthwhile or should I not bother?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by vjack
    I plan to buy either a Rebel XT or a 20D in the next couple weeks. This will be my first SLR, so I have 0 lenses of any kind. What are your thoughts about the kit lenses? Worthwhile or should I not bother?
    From what I've heard, not very good. I have heard that Tamron and Sigma are better and cheaper. I'm looking into the Sigma 18-50 and Sigma 18-125. I'm also looking at the Tamron 28 - 80 and Tamron 75 - 300.

It's actually not so bad. I've managed to get some pretty good shots with it on my XT. Right now I use it primarily as my wide zoom. I've gotten some nice landscape shots with it.

My primary lenses are the Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 and Canon 75-300 USM IS. I wouldn't say it's worth much more than the $100 extra you pay for the kit but for me it's a good wide angle option until I opt for a more expensive lens.
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Nice pictures! At only $100, I was thinking it would be a good way for me to learn the camera while researching other lenses. Hopefully, that will prevent me from rushing into a bad decision. I suspect the kit lens will be at least as good as I'd find on any non-ultrazoom point-and-shoot.

Not a bad lens to learn on, but I think you'll quickly come to want more.

I think I'd invest in the Tamron 28-75 rather than the kit lens. JMO.

Kit Lenses

I just purchased the Canon Rebel XT, with the kit lens. The lense may not be top of the line, but I am in the same boat as you are...this is my first SLR so I have no other lenses. In my opinion, I think its a good lense for me to start out with, until I can afford to add lenses to my collection.

Bought a Tamron 28-75 the next day for low light, I don't see much difference in the daylight shots.

Khyron

The 17-85 Canon lens made for the Rebel/ED20

I only received the camera last night. Its colour, resolution, speed of focusing and light weight are impressive. The expensive 17-85 lens is reat for macro, ... but has a parallax problem. Look the the edge of the chess book in the inclosed picture. It should be straight!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Having used a lens similar to a kit lens, I concluded that they are fine for outdoor shots. For indoor, the built in flash will have its limits so an external flash is recommended.

I would recommend a 50mm 1.8 at first. Once you get the 1.8 bug its hard to shake off. I do not recommend lenses starting with aperatures above 2.8.

Get the best lens you can afford and it will stay with your system longer than the camera.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by g0tr00t
    Having used a lens similar to a kit lens, I concluded that they are fine for outdoor shots. For indoor, the built in flash will have its limits so an external flash is recommended.

I would recommend a 50mm 1.8 at first. Once you get the 1.8 bug its hard to shake off. I do not recommend lenses starting with aperatures above 2.8.

Get the best lens you can afford and it will stay with your system longer than the camera.
    Having spent a few days looking at zoom lenses, I can honestly say that my opinion of them from 20 years ago still stands - they suck. I think primes are still the way to go. Get an 18, 28, 50, 85 and you'll be set for most situations.