Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 98 of 319 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148198 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fionndruinne View Post
    Marios, just a tip; try not to bisect your land and sky. Half-landscape, half-sky does not present a very dynamic or interesting image. It's something I used to do a lot, just because it was easiest since my focus point was in the middle, but I'm avoiding it now, and my shots have improved a lot.
    thanks for the tip, i'll try it

Help / advice needed

O.K., thought I would hit up the collective experts here for some help.

I'm attaching a shot I took a little while ago, both in its original form (first shot) and after adjusting curves / levels / saturation in Photoshop (second shot). (Yes I think I was a bit heavy handed with the adjustments, but that's neither here nor there for the moment )

My problem, which I thought was just a post processing thing, but I now see shows up in the original too, is how sharp the line is between the sky and the mountains. Now, it was a great clear day when I shot this, and I bet the line was pretty much that crisp, and I'm impressed my camera caught that crispness, but in the actual photo (pre and post photoshop) that line looks *SO* sharp it looks completely unreal.

So, if anyone has any advice about either how to a) smooth this out in Photoshop so it's not quite so drastic or at least b) what to do in the field to have this not happen again (would shooting RAW, which I'm now doing but didn't for this, have helped?), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-- Bass
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    ---
    Bass Sears
    Hailey, Idaho
    Pentax K10d (was Panasonic DMC FZ8)
    http://www.pictureofnectar.com

What youre saying is your pic was too good and looks fake. Dont worry and why would you want to do anything either post or in the field to make your pic look less real? Its a great pic as is. More like an abstract than a landscape. But very nice indeed. Cudos for your luck to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by bass_sears View Post
    So, if anyone has any advice about either how to a) smooth this out in Photoshop so it's not quite so drastic or at least b) what to do in the field to have this not happen again (would shooting RAW, which I'm now doing but didn't for this, have helped?), it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-- Bass
    a) I'm just guessing, but it probably became more apparent when you did your curves adjustment. Assuming you did this on a adjustment layer then take a very low flow (4-6%) small soft brush and paint black on that layer mask along the ridge. This will soften the adjustment. If you overdo it then switch to white and bring it back. You may need to do the same on the levels layer mask if it contributed to it.

b) your camera captured it as it was, so shooting RAW would not have changed the way Mother Nature looked that day. The only thing would be if your in-camera settings are jacked up and the camera processed jpeg was enhancing the contrast between the ridge line and the sky.

Hope this helps.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

bass, you surely should take the advice and shooting RAW would improve things.

HOWEVER, i like these your images as an artisitic work which does not have to re-produce real world, think back to the Hobbits from the Lord of the Rings

sometimes odd results give something you would not be able to imagine.

A small decoy spread on a flat calm morning. This was on the main marsh of Lake Lewisville north of Dallas.

Panny FZ7.

Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Ducks Unlimited Life Sponsor

Dressed and Naked

Four months apart.
    Last edited by Bynx; 12-02-2007 at 02:04 PM.

Cool, Bynx. Nicely done. I like the second one better--the lighting seems more consistent and natural.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Four months apart.
    Pretty cool thought! Nice job.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Thanks Adam and Dennis. The winter parts were taken this morning after our first real snowfall.

How about as a watercolor?
    Last edited by Bynx; 12-03-2007 at 09:14 AM.