Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 77 of 319 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127177 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Hey hokeyguy, I really like the dreamy quality you gave in PP for your pic. Nice job.
    Thanks Bynx, I've been really liking the Orton effect lately. Glad to see you resisted the urge to edit it !
    Nikon D80 | SIGMA 18-50 f/2.8 EX Macro

Hokey, thats not nice. I only edit what I consider blatant erroneous pics that scream to be fixed or improved upon in my opinion. I said I like your pic. Perhaps I should give it another look.

By the way whats the Orton effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
    Hokey, thats not nice. I only edit what I consider blatant erroneous pics that scream to be fixed or improved upon in my opinion. I said I like your pic. Perhaps I should give it another look.

By the way whats the Orton effect?
    Don't sweat it, I was making a joking reference to this thread. That's why I put the in the post.

Here's a good link for the Orton Effect. You lose some detail, but gain a dreamy artistic look. It does not work with all images.

Quote Originally Posted by hokeyguy View Post
    Here's a good link for the Orton Effect. You lose some detail, but gain a dreamy artistic look. It does not work with all images.
    Thanks for the link hokey. That's a pretty cool effect.

I think there is a little easier way to do the effect than the link shows. See if you don't think this result is a little easier.

Always work on a duplicate image and not the original. Duplicate background layer (ctl+j), then Image/Apply image and change blending to screen. Duplicate the new layer (ctl+j), apply the gaussian blur and change the blending mode to multiply. You can also change the opacity of each layer to fine tune the effect even more. Then (ctl+e) to merge those two layers if you wish. This way you don't have to worry about moving the blurred image into the other image.

Once again, thanks for the link.
    Last edited by D Thompson; 08-25-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Thanks for the tip, Dennis! I had fun with it:
    Original
    Name:  Aspens 5794 original.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  211.7 KB

Orton
    Name:  Aspens 5794 Orton resized.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  153.7 KB

I didn't change the layer blend back to Multiply, though. I left it on Screen, because when I changed it to Multiply, the photo went really dark Maybe that's just because I use Paint Shop Pro, though ... anyway, I was happy with the results just leaving it on Screen
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Toriaj, great forest shots, the second one - i would call it a dreamy forest - is my favorite. any PP or straight out of the camera?

Thanks, Gintaras, no it is not straight from the camera. The first one is pretty close, I just raised the exposure and cropped it. The second one uses the Orton method that D Thompson explained in his post.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Nice picture Tori. The orton effect works great there.

Here's another picture of Scotland, it's Bruce's Stone in the Galloway Forest. Here Robert the Bruce defeated an English army, as you can read on the stone.
    This one is a HDR too.

Name:  GB06.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  200.5 KB
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Tori, I love both the the shots. Orton looks like such a magic wand! Dennis, thanks for the explanation, would love to try this one. Hokey, thanks for the link.

Best Regards
    Chili !

PENTAX K10D
    SMCP FA 18-55MM
    SMCP FA 50MM 1.4
    SMCP FA 80-200MM
    TAMRON 28-75MM 2.8

Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans.

Quote Originally Posted by toriaj View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Dennis! I had fun with it:

I didn't change the layer blend back to Multiply, though. I left it on Screen, because when I changed it to Multiply, the photo went really dark Maybe that's just because I use Paint Shop Pro, though ... anyway, I was happy with the results just leaving it on Screen
    This link deals with Paint Shop Pro. I didn't really read it though. In Photoshop, blending with multiply gives the image a wonderful little bump in saturation that adds to the magical effect. It doesn't turn out too dark because you are first lightening it by the Apply Image>Screen command. I remember actually doing this the old school way with slide film years ago and am delighted to have a simple, quick way to accomplish the effect now. It's almost too easy and almost feels like cheating.