Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 33 of 319 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospero
    Nice shot, Glenn. You live in a nice region; great landscape. In the Netherlands we also have regions like that where the remains of the glaciers are clearly visible. For instance near Utrecht and in our most famous national park the Veluwe. In Drenthe there are some larger stones with which prehistoric people have built tombs (called Hunnenbedden). These places are pretty far away from the place where I live, unfortunatly. Where I live the only landscape you'll find is dull farmland...
    Prospero,

There are many beautiful places in the world but farmland cannot always be called "dull". I have seen many beautiful photos of rolling wheatfields blowing gently in the breeze and it's quite picturesque at sunset. I come from Canada originally where flatland farming is the heart of the community and I always look forward to seeing it again when I drive back to where my family still lives. This is what I have to look at lately, quite nice but farmland will always remain in my blood, be proud of your homelands...
    Last edited by Bullitt; 03-12-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    Bullitt

Nikon D200
    Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 Macro
    www.betterphoto.com/?darrell

Spring on a threshold. Kharkiv, Ukraine. Fuji FinePix S9500. Feb, 23, 2006
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The main lining in a computer - between the monitor and a chair
    My photo gallery in Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt
    Prospero,

There are many beautiful places in the world but farmland cannot always be called "dull". I have seen many beautiful photos of rolling wheatfields blowing gently in the breeze and it's quite picturesque at sunset. I come from Canada originally where flatland farming is the heart of the community and I always look forward to seeing it again when I drive back to where my family still lives. This is what I have to look at lately, quite nice but farmland will always remain in my blood, be proud of your homelands...
    I am not saying that every piece of farmland is dull. Indeed, I also like the type of farmland you describe - "rolling wheatfields blowing gently in the breeze".
    The thing is, there is absolutely no relief in the place where I live. It's all flat, and because it also happens to be beneath the sea-level, the land is to clayish and wet for anything but cattle farming. To make things worse, because of European legislation all the cattle is in the stables, so the only thing you will find around here are large, empty meadows...
    It's not like I dislike the place my homelands. It's in lots of ways a very nice place to live. However, I don't think I'll ever appreciate the landscape we have around here.
    I really like the picture picture you've posted, by the way .

Ok, I understand what you mean now Prosp, I come from area with good soil for wheatlands above sea level. Thank you on picture, it was taken in Montana, USA...
    Bullitt

Nikon D200

Hovering Cloud

I shot this one evening, thought it was kind of cool, like someone painted in that cloud hovering over the valley...
    Bullitt

Nikon D200

Try this again...
    Last edited by Bullitt; 03-12-2006 at 11:55 PM.
    Bullitt

Nikon D200

Bullitt. Worth having a second go with.

Over here, where I am, it's not as mountainous as with you. Neither is it flat, like Prospero's homeland.

The highest "mountain" in Northern Ireland reaches a staggering height of 848 metres (about 2700 feet, I think..). Near me, its low rolling hills with sheep, cattle and a few two-legged types camera.

This is a typical County Down scene on an untypical February afternoon (no rain)
    Nikon D70s user

A couple more to end with.

There's nothing in bloom here. So nothing for the flower thread. But suddenly, the snowdrops appear - here outside a ruined farmhouse....
    Nikon D70s user

... and here the first gorse begins to blossom. In a week or two it will be in brilliant yellow flower in poorly-managed fields (it's a weed) all over the country.

I was in New Zealand late last year where it's a very unwelcome Irish export ("bladdy gawse" is how they pronounce it). It has overrun many of the hills around Wellington.

If you're into that sort of thing, you can make a tolerable "wine" from its flowers. So everything has a purpose.
    Nikon D70s user