Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 274 of 319 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 3184
    Lukas,

I try to off seasons a lot, although sometimes those are the best for photography. I thik that is true for Winter in Bryce and much of the red rock areas of Utah. But it needs snow to be worth the chill. It certainly is nice to hike a loop through Bryce and only see 6-10 people. Of course, some places are just out of the way enough, or expensive enough to reduce the crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    It's silly to not go to see some of the most spectacular scenery in the world just because it's well known. Of course if your goal is solitude, it makes perfect sense. I like having both, but photography comes first for me. From a photography perspective I can see how it would be boring as it's way too easy to fall into the standard compositions and it's not enjoyable to have to be competitive for space. My approach is usually to go when it's too early, too cold or too far away from the car for most other people.
    I just don't like a circus such as exists at many iconic landscape locations. Once you leave that iconic spot, there is little making that particular location better than many others. For example, if I remove the Merced River, Half Dome, and Horsetail Falls from Yosemite, then I would be just as well off in other parts of the Sierras. And I even consider much of Desolation Wilderness to be a circus, though there are a few decently deserted lakes deeper in. The goal is not solitude per se, but it doesn't take many people to crowd an area when voices are easily heard from one mile away. It may also be cultural, I live in one of the least populated areas in the US (excluding Alaska) and may have different expectations than people from cities and suburbs might.

This is the start of the snow storm that drove me out of the mountains for the winter.

Name:  PC220189s.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  566.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    I just don't like a circus such as exists at many iconic landscape locations. Once you leave that iconic spot, there is little making that particular location better than many others. For example, if I remove the Merced River, Half Dome, and Horsetail Falls from Yosemite, then I would be just as well off in other parts of the Sierras. And I even consider much of Desolation Wilderness to be a circus, though there are a few decently deserted lakes deeper in. The goal is not solitude per se, but it doesn't take many people to crowd an area when voices are easily heard from one mile away. It may also be cultural, I live in one of the least populated areas in the US (excluding Alaska) and may have different expectations than people from cities and suburbs might.
    Seems you are excluding some pretty spectacular images from your repertoire, and life/photographic experience. That said, to each their own. I zone out when shooting, so voices are not a problem... unless nobody is around.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Urban canyon. The only sort many people see these days.

Quote Originally Posted by D70FAN View Post
    Seems you are excluding some pretty spectacular images from your repertoire, and life/photographic experience. That said, to each their own. I zone out when shooting, so voices are not a problem... unless nobody is around.
    Californians . I guess they are not off my list as a tourist and I would want good photos if I was there, but Yosemite (been at age 6) joins New York (never been), Paris (been at age 15) and Montreal (been at age 26) in places I may want to visit. Certain national parks in Utah and Death Valley are more interesting at least, and in general the crowds are likely to be much smaller. Still, if it was up to me and I wasn't lazy, Jarbidge Wilderness here I come .

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post

Nice. Very Canyony.

K1W1,

I guess be glad no one thought they were in Antelope Canyon. I can just see the tour leader suggesting tossing a handful of cigarette butts and candy wrappers into the air to catch the sunbeams filtering down at 11:46am

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Californians . I guess they are not off my list as a tourist and I would want good photos if I was there, but Yosemite (been at age 6) joins New York (never been), Paris (been at age 15) and Montreal (been at age 26) in places I may want to visit. Certain national parks in Utah and Death Valley are more interesting at least, and in general the crowds are likely to be much smaller. Still, if it was up to me and I wasn't lazy, Jarbidge Wilderness here I come .
    California is my home base, so I guess that makes me a "Californian ()" but have lived other places (France, Virginia, Hawaii, Arizona), and spent a lot of time, and several million miles, plying the U.S. and the world. It's been great fun. Taking a break here in the Monterey area (grew up here) to re-hone my photography skills (never really that good). Wish I had the money to do it all over again.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 02-26-2013 at 05:52 PM.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
    Excellent!
    Ha! See, I can change...

Another early morning. This time in Capitola Village.

The Village by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr