Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 154 of 319 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 3184
    Quote Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
    Thanks Lukas.
    Eddie, I really like that last shot. Excellent composition.

Here's a HDR from my wintersport. The composition is not how I would have liked it. I had to crop a lot of the right side. Due to a dirty front element and the backlight, the right side was very blurry.

Attachment 43596
    I don't usually like HDR's that much, winter sports shots are notoriously hard to nail, having to crop can be a bind ....yet
    I really like this image - you have done a great job with it!!
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 01-12-2009 at 03:50 PM.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Prospero, the sky and cliff definitely have potential, but I'd have liked a slightly stronger foreground myself (I realize it's not always possible, I was just looking through a few of my recent shots thinking the same thing).
    Thanks Raven. I agree that the foreground is not that good here. In fact, most of my wintersport shots are lacking interesting foregrounds. I found it really hard to find interesting foregrounds - although I have to admit I didn't take much time to take these pictures, because I didn't want to keep my friends waiting. The only things I saw that I could put into the foreground, were elements of the ski runs or lifts. However, as much as I like skiing, I really feel all of these things spoil the landscape.

Thanks Geoff. Glad you like it. Wintersport shots are indeed chalanging, especially the whitebalance is difficult to get right (even in RAW).

Here's another shot, taken from the skilift:

Name:  web_DSC3037.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  450.8 KB
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

I didn't take much time to take these pictures, because I didn't want to keep my friends waiting
    I have experienced that!

A few from a trip to the beach this evening. There's more on Flickr.

Name:  20090112_4MileBeach_19.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  226.4 KB

Name:  20090112_4MileBeach_29.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  228.5 KB

Name:  20090112_4MileBeach_47.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  230.3 KB
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Prospero - another lovely shot there - really cool!
    Wengler - I like this series - did you use much processing - the colours are great!
    I especially like the 2nd one with the flowing seaweed.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    Wengler - I like this series - did you use much processing - the colours are great!
    I especially like the 2nd one with the flowing seaweed.
    Thanks Geoff. I'm not sure what's considered a lot of pp. It was about normal for me. On the first one, the right side of the image was overexposed so I had to bring it back down. Otherwise it's mostly normal RAW conversion stuff. Sometimes I have to do multiple edits and blend them together if I don't have the right GND filter combination to match the scene. The colors come from the sunset. The first two were taken maybe 20-30 minutes before sunset. The last one was taken probably 10 minutes after sunset. Those are guesses.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks Geoff.

Great Pictures, Lukas. I really like the third one. The colours are beautiful.
    The first two are nice as well, the detail in the seaweed is great.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

I visited the Alps as part of a whirl wind trip through Europe when I was in high school, but unfortunately I had no concept of photography then. I recall they looked fantastic.

The Wengler, I really like those last, I have found I am a fan of the "golden glow" on the cliffs. I guess I like warm colors and color contrast, I rarely do a shot of entirely cool colors. Are the horizons on the first two level, or...? I was looking at the rock trying to figure it out, but the non-90 degree screwed me up, if not it is seriously undercut.

Tufa and Tree. Mono Lake, California. Effect provided by my polarizer.

Edit: Oops, looks like my horizon wasn't level either.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by raven15; 01-13-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks Dennis and Raven.

Raven, Tori mentioned something similar. I think they're straight. The beach is sloped towards the water but I didn't have much to judge straightness against in pp. I have to figure out a tilt that makes it look good though. If the viewer thinks it's crooked then I guess that's what matters most. The cliffs can get too orange for me during sunset, but I like how they came out in these ones.

How was Mono Lake? I'd really like to go there. BTW, where are you from?
    Lukas

Flickr

I know how that goes, I was looking through my shots from death valley, and I have no way of telling now if the horizon is crooked, or there is an alluvial fan sloping one way and mountains the other, or what. It was a challenging place for levelness, the elevation can change by a few thousand in the background to the right and hundred feet in the midground to the left, and who knows what's right. My rule is water follows gravity, and hence is always level, but it is true yours don't have enough water to really be sure.

Mono lake is ok, it would be pretty boring except for the tufa, unless you caught some weather over the mountains. As always at high altitudes, you really have to get there at sunset or sunrise or lighting will be way too harsh. Even then there is no guarantee, I have taken pictures at Hawthorne (right next door in Nevada) where the light went from harsh to WAY too red, as you noticed but times five probably. I never got a good shot despite a perfect cliff. The eastern Sierra are very difficult, some sort of weather or snow or moisture is a necessity, but almost never happen.

I am currently in Reno, where I was for seven years during college (three degrees... not seven for one!). I just finished and decided a real job would be boring, so I'm teaching English in China next. So, Reno is temporary.