Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 297 of 317 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299307 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 3167
    The one with a human element for sure! With out the person (self portrait?) it needs a compositional tweak to improve the foreground. I understand you were trying to match another comp though. Pretty cool series!

A little photo queue clean out. Here's a nice sunrise from last fall.

Untitled by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

So did you backpack by yourself? Did you have to carry 8 days of food or did you restock half way?
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Awesome, thanks. Glad everyone liked it. I thought those were keepers, and agree that the one with the person (yup, me) in the foreground is better for many applications. Of course it may be strange to have a real but apparently unknown person hanging on the wall in a landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    So did you backpack by yourself? Did you have to carry 8 days of food or did you restock half way?
    Yup, I did this solo. I tried to convince several people to come along, but most people can't just take 8 days to go off into the middle of nowhere. In fact for the first three days, plus another two days later, I didn't see any other people at all. It was definitely a new experience for me, when I started I would never have considered going by myself, especially for that length of time.

I carried it all. I have really worked to get my pack weight down, so at starting I was carrying just 35 pounds, including 5 of camera gear, food, and water. Carrying food is easy. A party bag of Fritos plus a party bag of peanut M&M's weigh 3.75 pounds together and have 10,000+ calories and are actually pretty ideal backpacking foods. Just throw in small dinners and breakfasts and a couple things for variety and moral support, and some dried fruit and jerky, and you're good to go. In fact I had about two days of food left at the end.

35 is a great weight all in with photo gear! I'm more in the 45 range right now. Trying to get it down. Bear can weighs a lot. Do you have a solo tent?
    Lukas

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    I spent the weekend at 20 Lakes Basin with a buddy of mine. We had an incredible sunset on Saturday and perfect reflections on Sunday.
    Those are definitely some enviable sunset colors and reflections!

I was carrying a hyper-light but somewhat expensive Z-packs hexamid twin tent, which is a two person tent. Yeah, bear cans would suck. The good thing about these mountains is, there are no bears.

I Googled that tent. Looks like you need a couple trekking poles to set it up? I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL2. Not too heavy for a 2 person free standing tent, but something like 3-4x the weight of your hyper light tent. I'd like to get a light 1 person option though. I'll have to do more research to see what it's going to set me back.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 07-10-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    Lukas

Flickr

I don't have trekking poles, so I ordered the carbon tent poles. In fact I want a smaller, lighter, simpler shelter as well so I don't need to spend as much time at dusk and dawn fiddling with it. I just ordered a Z-packs hexamid solo tarp . It will greatly reduce weight (as a percent...) during quick trips by myself and should make set up simpler.
    Three more panoramas from the trip...
    Name:  P6290025_stitchs.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  352.1 KB

Name:  P7030918_stitchaas.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  407.8 KB

Name:  P7051308_stitchs.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  243.1 KB

Raven,

Really like the first two panos best. You western campers with your fairly low rain risk. Here in the southeast with 40-60 inches of rain a year, and the related bugs, you really have to use a tent, fly, etc. Bear proofing is sometimes a must as well.