Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 251 of 317 FirstFirst ... 151201241249250251252253261301 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,510 of 3168
    My filter set up looks like this...

Lee foundation kit w/ front mount ring
    Wide angle adapter for wide lens
    Standard adapter for telephoto lens
    B+W 105mm CPL - w/ 2 slots on the holder there's no vignetting after 20ish mm
    Lee .6 hard GND
    Lee .9 hard GND
    Lee .6 soft GND
    Lee .9 soft GND
    All GND filters are 4x6"
    Lee Big Stopper

I've ordered the Hitech Prostop 6 and 10 stop ND filters. I'll probably sell the Big Stopper. I'm also considering adding a Singh Ray 3 stop reverse GND filter. I'm a little hesitant due to color cast problems I've had with them in the past. This filter can replace the Lee .9 hard for most situations.

So as far as recommendations I recommend the Lee GND filters over the other brands. It can be frustrating to buy though because they're frequently out of stock. They also don't offer a reverse GND so if you want that you have to go with Singh Ray or Hitech. Can't really make a solid ND recommendation, but I'm afraid I'll break the Big Stopper so I'm giving the Hitech ones a try.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    I'm also considering adding a Singh Ray 3 stop reverse GND filter. I'm a little hesitant due to color cast problems I've had with them in the past. This filter can replace the Lee .9 hard for most situations.

So as far as recommendations I recommend the Lee GND filters over the other brands. It can be frustrating to buy though because they're frequently out of stock. They also don't offer a reverse GND so if you want that you have to go with Singh Ray or Hitech. Can't really make a solid ND recommendation, but I'm afraid I'll break the Big Stopper so I'm giving the Hitech ones a try.
    Why Lee in particular? I was looking at all HiTech filters in Cokin P-mount with wide angle holder, mostly because it is the smallest that has reverse grad ND available. I'm surprised you don't have a reverse grad ND, for some reason I remembered you being a big advocate of them.

I already have a nice screw-on 8-stop ND (which I rarely use) and several screw-in polarizers of different sizes, so I think I'm good on that front.

A few, some debatably landscape, from Russia a long time ago. Finally got around to sorting them. Getting closer to caught up though.

A random church in Suzdal
    Name:  s2010P9150197.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  333.6 KB

Looking west across the Pacific, or at least Amur Bay Vladivostok. Before dawn.
    Name:  s2010P8308165.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  92.6 KB

Typical scenery for the Trans Siberian Railway, riding the good train "Siberia"
    Name:  s2010P9018508.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  309.2 KB

Scene in Irkutsk
    Name:  s2010P9048804.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  522.1 KB

Olkhon Island in Lake Baikal (kh = phlegmy "k + h" sound in back of throat)
    Name:  s2010P9059300.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  253.8 KB

Santa Cruz and Grey Whale Cove look great Lukas. Actually On Grey Whale I'd have quite liked to see the sun peeping around the rock a bit more to create a flare. Just a thought.

They class as landscapes in my book raven. I especially like the railway one nice colours.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    Why Lee in particular? I was looking at all HiTech filters in Cokin P-mount with wide angle holder, mostly because it is the smallest that has reverse grad ND available. I'm surprised you don't have a reverse grad ND, for some reason I remembered you being a big advocate of them.

I already have a nice screw-on 8-stop ND (which I rarely use) and several screw-in polarizers of different sizes, so I think I'm good on that front.
    I like the quality of Lee over Hitech. The Lee filters are thicker. I did occasionally have some color cast issues with Hitech on my Pentax. A lot of people say they're neutral though I did hear about more cast issues with Hitech's new reverse GND. It's been 3 or 4 years since I had any Hitech GND filters. I did have a reverse GND at one point, but never got another one when I upgraded from Coking P size to 4x6. I don't really want to drop the $190 Singh Ray wants for a 4x6 reverse, but I'll probably get it at some point this year. I think what you're thinking is a perfectly fine budget option. How many GND filters are you considering getting?

1 and 3 look good! Not sure what's going on in 2

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Santa Cruz and Grey Whale Cove look great Lukas. Actually On Grey Whale I'd have quite liked to see the sun peeping around the rock a bit more to create a flare. Just a thought.
    Thanks Phill D. I have some I took later with the sun to the side, but I decided on this one over those. Funny you chose the ones kgosden didn't choose.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Well, to each their own. I am a sucker for shots with those glass like reflections. And Bryce when it catches the warm, low sun is a favorite place (even if I have only been there 3-4 times). All of them are good shots, although the lighthouse seems a little less striking than I have come to expect from your work. I can't decide if it is the foreground grasses or the water that is not quite making it for me on that one. The beach sunset is lovely, but I must not be in an over the top color mood, even if it is natural.

I like the quality of Lee over Hitech. The Lee filters are thicker. I did occasionally have some color cast issues with Hitech on my Pentax. A lot of people say they're neutral though I did hear about more cast issues with Hitech's new reverse GND. It's been 3 or 4 years since I had any Hitech GND filters. I did have a reverse GND at one point, but never got another one when I upgraded from Coking P size to 4x6. I don't really want to drop the $190 Singh Ray wants for a 4x6 reverse, but I'll probably get it at some point this year. I think what you're thinking is a perfectly fine budget option. How many GND filters are you considering getting?
    I had 4 in mind, but the price jumps dramatically if I upgrade to Singh Ray filters. Still cheaper than for 4x6, but not cheap.
    1 stop hard
    2 stop hard
    3 stop soft
    3 stop reverse

1 and 3 look good! Not sure what's going on in 2
    Those are my favorites also. 2 is just out of focus and I like the color.

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    I had 4 in mind, but the price jumps dramatically if I upgrade to Singh Ray filters. Still cheaper than for 4x6, but not cheap.
    1 stop hard
    2 stop hard
    3 stop soft
    3 stop reverse
    I'd probably go 2 soft instead of 1 hard. I believe the Cokin wide angle holder only holds one GND and if you only need one stop of correction you can probably fix that in post. Lee made Cokin P sized GND filters for awhile. Not sure if they still do. I would just start with the Hitech filters. I was never happy with my Singh Rays. Whatever you decide, start with 1 or 2 to make sure you're happy with them before buying a whole set.
    Lukas

Flickr

Lukas they are all great shots. I just picked out those two because they seem to rely a bit more on the skill of the photographer to make a striking image. The stunningness (if that's a word) of the places comes through more easilly on the others so perhaps you didn't have to work quite so hard? Overall it's the quality of your shots that make us so picky I guess.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Well, to each their own. I am a sucker for shots with those glass like reflections. And Bryce when it catches the warm, low sun is a favorite place (even if I have only been there 3-4 times). All of them are good shots, although the lighthouse seems a little less striking than I have come to expect from your work. I can't decide if it is the foreground grasses or the water that is not quite making it for me on that one. The beach sunset is lovely, but I must not be in an over the top color mood, even if it is natural.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Lukas they are all great shots. I just picked out those two because they seem to rely a bit more on the skill of the photographer to make a striking image. The stunningness (if that's a word) of the places comes through more easilly on the others so perhaps you didn't have to work quite so hard? Overall it's the quality of your shots that make us so picky I guess.
    Thanks guys. Photography is subjective and I'm always interested to hear honest opinions.

A few from in and around San Francisco. No wide angle shots in this group. Quite a change for me.

Transamerica Pyramid - San Francisco by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr

Port of Oakland by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr

One Bridge, Two Bridge, Red Bridge, Blue Bridge by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr

San Francisco by Lukas Wenger Photography, on Flickr
    Lukas

Flickr