Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 247 of 319 FirstFirst ... 147197237245246247248249257297 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,470 of 3184
    Lukas,

I like the 'Valley of Fire' shot much better than the 'Mesquite Dunes'. Not sure what is failing for me in the first one. I can't decide if there is just too much difference in each section of the image, both color/contrast and subject lines. Either of the two types of dune features have appealed to me when presented independently. I think if the lighting difference between the two dune sections was less I would like it more. But I think that it just lacks a focus beyond the dramatic structural differences in the dunes.

To be honest the lighting differences is why I like it. I do have others where the light is more consistent throughout the frame, but I liked the spotlight effect on this one. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on that one.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Bryce Canyon NP by Lukas W, on Flickr
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Lukas,

I figured it was the drama of the light you found appealing. I like that new Bryce shot. The canyon lines work the eye back to the sky where the light pulls you in. I find it difficult to really capture the bold colors of the rock in Bryce when the sun is low and the reds are truly glowing. They always seem unreal to those who have not been there.

I didn't have much luck when things were in direct sunlight. The exposure is much easier to handle when the color is coming from light reflected off of clouds.
    Lukas

Flickr

Surprisingly I pretty much agree with Kgosden.
    Bryce Canyon #1 was striking at first, but then the foreground seemed to lead more and more awkwardly into the rest.
    Death Valley, I like the foreground composition, but the light behind it is comparatively harsh, and not encouraging to smoothly looking between the background and foreground.
    Valley of Fire: the light and colors are nice on the rocks, but I actually feel the light is too soft for this one with its angles and ridges. In fact, I think if you switched the light in Death Valley and Valley of Fire the might both be better.
    Bryce Canyon #2. My favorite of the four. No real suggestions. Maybe the foreground could be a little more prominent, but that probably was not possible, and it's already a good picture.

Hehheh, not that any of them are bad per se. However, there are a lot of great photos bouncing around the internet. I've become slightly jaded I think. I was looking at the 100 best-of-best photos on DPreview, and while they were all good, with a few exceptions I was like meh, meh, meh.

Having been to Bryce in Winter I am jaded on that location. It is so much more overwhelming in person I don't think I have ever seen a photo that can really do it justice. In a way it is like the forest photo discussion; too much detail to translate well to a small, 2D image.

Raven - Thanks for the feedback. I pretty much agree with your thoughts on the Bryce shots. On the first one I was running around as the sky exploded and on the second one I was set up waiting for the light. I have to disagree with switching the light in DV and VoF though. With diffused light the DV one would have no foreground interest. I've had several similar comments about the separation between foreground and background in the DV shot. It almost seems like two pictures. Regarding the DPreview list, photography is subjective, so anytime you're looking at someone else's favorite photos it's unlikely you'll agree with everything.

kgosden - That place is so gorgeous and the view is so wide I found it difficult to isolate a landscape shot out of it. I was frequently zooming in to shoot more detailed shots. Some places seem to look better in photos and some places are difficult to capture. I agree that Bryce is the latter.

I just got back from Yosemite this afternoon. This is the latest that Tioga Pass has ever been open. The result is frozen lakes and minimal snow. I live in a place where it's news when the temperature even gets near freezing so it was pretty fantastic to see in person. We had to do some hiking to get to a scenic lake that wasn't all cut up by ice skaters. Here is one of my keepers...

Lower Cathedral Lake by Lukas W, on Flickr
    Lukas

Flickr

Lukas,

That might be one of my favorite shots you have taken this year (and I mean past 12 months, not calendar year). I really love the cool tones of the ice in the foreground with the warm hues on the rock. It would have been truly incredible if the reflection in the ice was sharp. Then the imperfections in the foreground ice could pass for clouds when flipped vertically.

I would love to live close enough to get to Yosemite whenever possible, but I just cannot figure out how I could and still work little enough to get away. I find it challenging enough in a lower cost place like Atlanta.

Thanks kgosden. I only live 4 hours away, so I really have no excuse for not going more. I guess I just want the things I can't have. Hopefully it snows soon as I had plans of a winter wonderland shoot in Yosemite next month.
    Lukas

Flickr