Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 166 of 316 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 3159
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Raven, those are some pretty cool conditions. I haven't had the chance to shoot anything like that before.

Davenport Cove...
    Attachment 44585

Attachment 44586
    Lukas, these are simply amazing shots and thanks for your tips. On the colors, do not you think turning saturation a bit down would achieve a more subtle life-real coloring? I am not always a fan of vivid coloring, depends. In the waterscape I prefer little less while in some landscape going a top does not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gintaras View Post
    Lukas, these are simply amazing shots and thanks for your tips. On the colors, do not you think turning saturation a bit down would achieve a more subtle life-real coloring? I am not always a fan of vivid coloring, depends. In the waterscape I prefer little less while in some landscape going a top does not hurt.
    Thanks Gintaras. I don't think they're over saturated. At least not on my monitor.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

I call this my "Gang-Planked" series.....

A few different takes on the same subject, the walkway or gangplank, to the boat.

The walk down.......

Oops...I forgot sumtin in the house....look, back up.

An overview....

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Okay fellas time for me to learn. All wonderful shots here, I don't mean to single out Eddie and Lukas but in particular yours is the style I'd like to blatantly copy.

How do you do what you?

Grad ND to dim the sky within the sensors dynamic range?
    Another ND to slow your exposure Lukas?
    Marix metering?
    Setting your WB?

Any help would be appreciated because my sunsets plain suck by comparison.
    Aye Pirate....I'll deal with you, BUT....it'll cost you your sea wench

Honestly, all I can offer up is shoot....A LOT!
    Most of what I get is from just trying different things with my camera. It seems every camera has its sweet spot, where it functions best. Try and find that spot, then use it to your advantage. Also, stick to what you like to take, subject wise. Branch out, sure, but your first love will always sustain you in your budding frustrations of other exposures.
    Remember too...the camera is just a tool, nothing more. It can give you more opportunities with more options and sophistication...BUT, it will only be as good as the imaginative eye looking through the viewfinder. Nothing beats just getting up in the saddle and riding....

Oh...and thank you, BUT....you are way too kind in your compliments of me. I only take advantage of God's beauty that I'm so blessed to live among

Lukas those tips were great. What type of GND filters do you tend to use screw on ones or the Cokin type rectangular add on system? also what levels of gradation do you find most useful?
    Eddie I've got your neck of the woods on my must visit list, you make it look really beautiful.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
    Lukas those tips were great. What type of GND filters do you tend to use screw on ones or the Cokin type rectangular add on system? also what levels of gradation do you find most useful?
    Eddie I've got your neck of the woods on my must visit list, you make it look really beautiful.
    I use the rectangular filters. You have to be able to adjust the location of the ND transition. I have 4 grads, but the 3 reverse has pretty much replaced the 3 hard so I'm currently trying to get by with 3. I also don't stack my filters too much because they tend to give a color cast when I do, which is pretty disappointing. That said, I use 2 hard and 3 reverse the most because I'm by the ocean so it's easy to find a straight horizon. 2 hard works well for me on those days when the sun is already being blocked by the clouds. 2 soft can also be pretty useful. If one side of the sky is brighter than the other side I'll use it to block the light from the bright side.

Here's one from Davenport Cove last week. I used a 3 stop reverse grad aligned with the bottom of the cave wall on the left.
    Name:  20090224_Davenport_003.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  219.4 KB
    Last edited by TheWengler; 03-01-2009 at 01:07 AM.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    I use the rectangular filters. You have to be able to adjust the location of the ND transition. I have 4 grads, but the 3 reverse has pretty much replaced the 3 hard so I'm currently trying to get by with 3. I also don't stack my filters too much because they tend to give a color cast when I do, which is pretty disappointing. That said, I use 2 hard and 3 reverse the most because I'm by the ocean so it's easy to find a straight horizon. 2 hard works well for me on those days when the sun is already being blocked by the clouds. 2 soft can also be pretty useful. If one side of the sky is brighter than the other side I'll use it to block the light from the bright side.

Here's one from Davenport Cove last week. I used a 3 stop reverse grad aligned with the bottom of the cave wall on the left.
    I am loving this image Lukas - it's a great composition and nicely presented.
    I am lost with the filters though - I have no idea what most of those are - I know about graduated filters, but don't know about Hard, or reverse or transitions...
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    I am loving this image Lukas - it's a great composition and nicely presented.
    I am lost with the filters though - I have no idea what most of those are - I know about graduated filters, but don't know about Hard, or reverse or transitions...
    Thanks Geoff. I'll make an attempt at explaining a little better. Transitions isn't a filter I was just refering to transition from ND to clear on the filter. Hard and soft refer to the transition of the filter. Hard is dark on half of the filter and clear on half of the filter. The transition between the two creates a sharp line. This is suitable for use on straight horizons. Soft is a filter that gradually transitions between dark and clear. This is better for uneven horizons. Reverse is like a hard filter, but it gets lighter away from the transition line. This is for when the brightest part of the image is at the transition line (sunrise/sunset), but less correction is needed away from the transition line.
    Last edited by TheWengler; 03-01-2009 at 01:15 PM.
    Lukas

Flickr

Phew I'm glad you asked Geoff I was lost too. It makes sense now Lukas I guess you have a lot of patience to work out all those variables on each one of those shots. They sure are worth it though.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

yes that did help a lot - I must say I haven't used filters now for well over 10 years - so I would barely know what to do with one these days (don't know what to do with the camera either!!! )
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com