Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 44 of 315 FirstFirst ... 3442434445465494144 ... LastLast

Well, at the moment I'm being naughty, going on the net at work, on my boss's computer even... So I don't exactly have all my pics with me, but I have these 2 at work from my trip to Melbourne last year. They are views from the Observation Deck/Rialto Towers. It was a miserable rainy day, and the sun only just came out as we were leaving. I thought it was nice to catch a rainbow though
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Glug Guest

Cool Sydney Harbour with a classic look

Here's a view of Sydney with the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, taken from Kirribilli looking towards the city:

I took that on my trusty Canon 20D Digital camera, using a Tamron 17-35mm wideangle lens. It was taken in raw, and B&W, but I felt the black and white was so dramatic, that it's become my favourite photo. If only that tree wasn't in the foreground...

Quote Originally Posted by Glug
    If only that tree wasn't in the foreground...
    You could easily clone it out in an editing program...

Beautiful photo regardless.
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Here are some pics I took last weekend at Christchurch in England:

Nikon D50, (first pictures taken)
    1/1250, f/5.6, no post processing, 55mm

1/640, f/13, no post processing except cropping, 52mm

Please comment & critisize, I won't be offended!
    Last edited by yarga; 06-19-2006 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yarga
    Here are some pics I took last weekend at Christchurch in England:

1/1250, f/5.6, no post processing, 55mm

1/640, f/13, no post processing except cropping, 52mm

Please comment & critisize, I won't be offended!
    On item 1, check out "rule of thirds" on this link.

My (surely incomplete) understanding is, "negative space" allows perspective, so the viewer can better appreciate the environment. As such, the Negative Space is usually in front of your subject, or whatever side of your subject suggest itself as being "front".

I also think a higher perspective (more water behind boat) may have helped, but there's a thousand schools of thinking on "ideas to improve a shot". At least the far land doesn't obstruct the details of the boat. Blur serves to accentuate the sharp subject, but it doesn't work when the subject is also blury.

Nice subject, if you can only find what mood you wanted to convey then find a way to do so. I also find the blurry focus (camera shake?) and excessive haze a little uninspiring and even distracting.

Middle is usually uninspiring. Even cropping your subject off a little can create mystery and intrigue.

Like the 2nd shot much better, although I think it could benifit from a little cropping too since they're about to drive off the edge of the photo.

Suggest more Post Processing (you say you did none). Add contrast, sharpening, cropping, and haze removal on the faroff trees. PP is not a dishonest alteration unless you're demonstrating lens shortcomings.

Here's one idea for making it more interesting. Do a lighting effect to make it seem as if you're looking through a porthole, also adding more sunlight behind boat and cropping it, to draw attention to the daylight by introducing lighting differences (the CA /rainbow was introduced by Photoshop is a little distracting so would need to be removed) ... just one idea:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Vich; 06-19-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    Gear List:
    Some links I like: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thanks Vich, I will have a play with the images over the weekend, I have 2 exams tommorow. I like what you've done with the boat image, the possition of the boat really makes a difference. These were the first shot with the camera so Im sure I wasn't holding the camera or standing properly to reduce the camera shake. I also see what you mean about the position of the boat and tractor in the second image, I took too much space away from the right side of the tractor when shooting so I cropped the left away to even it up. Sorry for the late reply

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    Juan-

Thanks for starting this thread. It should be interesting. Thanks also to Geoff, AlkaPhunk, and yourself for the nice landscapes already posted. Here is mine. This is a much photographed part of the Oregon coast near where the Pistol River enters the Pacific. It was taken with the Pentax 1stDS Kit Lens at 18mm, ISO 200, shutter 1/750th. BTW, I apologize for the false start on this post.

Sarah Joyce
    Very nice shot Sarah! Love the composition.
    Nikon D300, Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8, SB-800

taken just north of san luis obispo while driving north on the coast.

Canon Rebel XT with BG-E3
    17-55MM
    70-200 F4L

my gallery --> www.picasaweb.google.com/jonnevel

I took a little drive over to Mendenhall Glacier (again) on a crappy day. I kind of like this one, although the weather (and lighting) was garbage.

D50 + 18-70 DX Nikkor at : 18mm, ISO 200, 1/30, f/16, hyperfocal distance (1m) used.

Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Quote Originally Posted by Jason25
    I took a little drive over to Mendenhall Glacier (again) on a crappy day. I kind of like this one, although the weather (and lighting) was garbage.

D50 + 18-70 DX Nikkor at : 18mm, ISO 200, 1/30, f/16, hyperfocal distance (1m) used.

Its a neat feeling to see a picture posted and think to yourself... hey Ive been there! Mendenhall glacier is a great photo location, I just wish I was there at sunrise or sunset. On a side note... if you go behind the visitors centre there is a trail and runs about .25 mile to a split... from that point follow the trail to the left and you can hike all the way to the waterfall.